Lease Damage Charges

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
My 1.8FR is due back in April at the end of a 3 yr PCH. It’s only done 23k of the contracted 30k so well under mileage. I have a small dent/scratch on the bonnet where a neighbours roof tile blew off in a storm and a car park dent on the door right on the crease. Both annoyingly nothing to do with me!

These are both right on the edge of the fair wear and tear examples so interested in hand back experience on this. I’ve read that vwfs are pretty good. Is the low mileage likely to offset damage?

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Here’s the pics, excuse the dirt.

These are close ups with the light shining right across so they show up the worst. In reality you’d not notice unless you were inspecting or washing the car.

08F04D92-FCA2-4051-9ACD-BBACDB04F186.jpeg
AEBDAD76-B31F-4013-9682-B2F5BCED727E.jpeg

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Just get chips away to come fix it, its a lease car so who cares if its not bodyshop perfect

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Just get chips away to come fix it, its a lease car so who cares if its not bodyshop perfect
Doubt if chips away will be able to deal with either of those.
Agree that none of those will pass inspection. It's always hit and miss whether the lease company charges you, but the inspection will pick those up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Thanks, I think. I decided not to do anything about the roof tile scratch after reading on here that it was likely to be cheaper to pay the charges than get it fixed or do an insurance claim.

The car park ding happened recently and I nearly lost my **** ? someone in a shed of an old Citroen mpv parked so close to me that I can’t see how they managed to get out if the drivers door. They obviously had trouble given this dent. I even parked well away from everyone else like I usually do and they still somehow found the need to target me ?

I was talking to a dealer this morning about a new lease, on the basis of the photos he reckoned I could be charged over £500. I was hoping the low mileage might offset the damage.
Not a happy man now! (Pours another beer)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Agree that none of those will pass inspection. It's always hit and miss whether the lease company charges you, but the inspection will pick those up.

Of course they will.

piece of pie

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Of course they will.

piece of pie
Deep scratches where bare or oxidised metal is visible?..... Maybe smart repairs have improved in last few years, but I've always had my local ones tell me they can't fix those.

Won't hurt to get a quote Op.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

The bonnet scratch I don't know about but I've had several dents exactly like the one on the door successfully removed. I was surprised myself, I didn't think it could be done, but it came out well.

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Chips away don't operate in my area but I've found a couple of local firms I'll get a quote from. Neither of those are down to the metal. Bonnet is a deep scratch and a slight dent. Door is more of a dent and chip but again not down to the metal.

interested in experiences of vwfs charges for similar damage so I can compare with Repair quotes

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Where I stay the typical charge for taking out a dent is about £80. Which is a lot considering the time it takes them but that's what it cost.

Reactions: julian24110

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Where I stay the typical charge for taking out a dent is about £80. Which is a lot considering the time it takes them but that's what it cost.
That is quite expensive. My local bodyshop charged me around £50 for door dent removal, but admittedly I was getting the whole front wing sprayed while it was there too..... Similar situation, lease return.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That is quite expensive. My local bodyshop charged me around £50 for door dent removal, but admittedly I was getting the whole front wing sprayed while it was there too..... Similar situation, lease return.

Paintless removal yes but the 2 pictures shown will be spray job, chips away could do it. Will be more expensive than £50 eacj though.

i have just asked for a quote from them for a bumper scuff so will see what they quote and the damage is quite extensive

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
@julian24110 let us know how you get on with a chips away quote. I for one will be (pleasantly) surprised if that bonnet scratch in particular can be smart repaired; it's such a big flat faced panel. Would be good to hear your experience.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Paintless removal yes but the 2 pictures shown will be spray job, chips away could do it. Will be more expensive than £50 eacj though.

i have just asked for a quote from them for a bumper scuff so will see what they quote and the damage is quite extensive
Let us know here too please as I'm sure it will be helpful for the Op.

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
Have you checked your damage matrix of your funder?

It might be cheaper than you think, as I was in a similar position last year

A quick Google for VWFS (assumed) suggests that door dent might only cost you £138 for a repair / refinish.

£55.10 / £110.40 for the bonnet depending on if it's down to primer / bare metal.

When I returned my last lease with Arval last year their damage matrix for the following scuff on the bumper was £80. That car was also massively under mileage but as others have said that doesn't come into consideration.

Whilst I might have found it cheaper locally, I was quite happy with the price for the sake of not having the hassel of dealing with it.

Plus there's always the chance you might get a lucky inspection and get away with one?

Let us know how you get on whichever way you decide to go.

Screenshot_20210124-214845.jpg

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
BCA will def charge you and find that. I had a bad experience with my Ibiza, (but a good experience with the Leon, where there were obvious dings that could have been argued both ways) the inspector must have xray vision and used the squiggly line thing, onto reflection which for the life of me, could not see even if I spent 10 mins looking. My mistake was I only brought 1 set of keys as it wasn't collection time yet, so I left him with the car for a good 5 mins, though I can't prove it, I'm sure he put the small dent there. Maybe they get comission finding damange. So he levied a charge of £35 per panel. Both panels were the back panels on the SC (image attached). Luckily the guy used a tablet camera, and it wasn't really clear, I used my dSLR, and still couldn't find it. I told him I couldn't see it, and what if I disagree, and he reponded, that's why I'm one of the few inspectors left. He did warn me (maybe to deter me) that if I contested it, they would look at it, but the would also look under the car if there is any damage too (WTH). In hindsight, I would have brought along the fair wear and tear booklet next time. I contested it, and head office said no charge as they couldn't see nothing from the pics! On other non-seat topics, I'm due to return my Volvo V40 end feb, penalty for missed service fixed at £120. Cost of service to avoid the penalty, £285...sooo guess which I would take?
There's a place near Hendon station if your located in London that probably can fix this for around the £100 mark, I did fix a scuff on my Ibiza there, and that xray vision BCA guy could not find that.
20181218_084117_resized_20210125_063856388.jpg
20181218_084138_resized_20210125_063856001.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sly870

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I even parked well away from everyone else like I usually do and they still somehow found the need to target me ?
(Pours another beer)

I feel your pain, I park in a rather spacious (wide bay) residential parking where I can easily open my door to the 2nd hinge point without hitting the next car, (I even parked closer (wheel just inside the bay marking on the other side where there isn't a car) but lo and behold, when I look closely in the reflection of the door at an angle, I can see about 5-6 different imperfections where the next car has gently touched door to door. Even had a red scuff mark on my handle, which I hae now cleaned and fill with touch up paint, and covered with clear and strong 3M tape for this purpose. The other door on the other side where there isn't a car parked, has no imperfections!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.