Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
It'll be interesting to see the sales volumes on the Mk4 Cupra Leon 300 vs Mk3 SEAT Leon Cupra 280/290/300 in a couple of years time to see if the new branding increases UK sales. As we all know the cheap lease deals were available on the Mk3 from the 280 version all the way to the end and hence plenty of folk, myself included, had one or two. My 300 lease ended in March last year and I bought the car.
Hoped the Mk4 would be decent but it just doesn't appeal to me, lack of manual doesn't help. It looks so bland and hardly has any identity compared to other hatches. Does the Cupra version have better interiors than the SEAT version? From pictures I just don't see what's premium about it to warrant the price. Maybe they'll end up discounted and offered on cheap leases.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I personally was hoping there would become more of an exclusivity with CUPRA again. The MK3 became just a cheap lease car.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I personally was hoping there would become more of an exclusivity with CUPRA again. The MK3 became just a cheap lease car.
Just looks like they're chasing volume with all the Cupra badged SUV's so it's much less exclusive than it ever was, it's not even the identifier of the most powerful version now which for me has ruined the Cupra reputation. It's now basically a trim level above the SEAT versions.

Even with the decent lease deals on the Mk3 they were still much less common than a Focus ST. At the end of the day it's a normal hot hatch, not something to be bought for exclusivity. For that you need a Pagani or similar.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Its just so ugly I couldn’t drive one. Just looks like a Focus and pretty much half the hatchbacks out there. Very boring.
Cupra had a chance to make a special motor but seem to have managed mediocrity.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: C_ED_99

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
A35 AMG currently going for £32k. So disappointed they’ve priced it so highly. I like the car. But not for £37k
The A35 AMG is priced at 37k OTR.
The MK4 Cupra looks quite nice but, not as sporty as it could look.
The tech is a step up once again but they have still cut costs like, 4drive (hatch), felt lined door bins, interior lighting in the rear, no sound upgrades.
Hopefully they've improved the handling over the MK3.5 at this price point.

Mar 1, 2021
The A35 AMG is priced at 37k OTR.
The MK4 Cupra looks quite nice but, not as sporty as it could look.
The tech is a step up once again but they have still cut costs like, 4drive (hatch), felt lined door bins, interior lighting in the rear, no sound upgrades.
Hopefully they've improved the handling over the MK3.5 at this price point.
Still, if you go off the OTR price, you can get an A35 for the same price. But if you check the merc website they’re 32k. For just a few k more you can get a golf R. I think they’ve gone too high personally.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Just looks like they're chasing volume with all the Cupra badged SUV's so it's much less exclusive than it ever was, it's not even the identifier of the most powerful version now which for me has ruined the Cupra reputation. It's now basically a trim level above the SEAT versions.

Even with the decent lease deals on the Mk3 they were still much less common than a Focus ST. At the end of the day it's a normal hot hatch, not something to be bought for exclusivity. For that you need a Pagani or similar.

Thing is, back in the day when I first signed up (2005) MK1 Cupra, Cupra R were quite rare, owned by people who knew what they were, enthusiasts, we used to have meets, go to the BTCC etc.

MK2 Cupra/R was the same.

MK3 just became a fast lease car, most people who have them no have them because they can get them for £250-300 a month

Reactions: Seriously?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thing is, back in the day when I first signed up (2005) MK1 Cupra, Cupra R were quite rare, owned by people who knew what they were, enthusiasts, we used to have meets, go to the BTCC etc.

MK2 Cupra/R was the same.

MK3 just became a fast lease car, most people who have them no have them because they can get them for £250-300 a month
Everything these days is on tick / lease

back in mk1 days lease / pcp didn’t exist, hence why nowadays all the young crew are running about in 70 plates

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Everything these days is on tick / lease

back in mk1 days lease / pcp didn’t exist, hence why nowadays all the young crew are running about in 70 plates
Remembering back to my late 20's/early 30's (yep, I can just about recall back that far), I ran some real old sheds; not because I wanted to but because I had to actually buy my cars with cash money.

Jon89

Sep 27, 2020
Kent
I'm not sure what he's saying about it but from the video the 300 looks lower than the hybrid and you can get an idea of what the car sounds like.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Good find.

Yes, thankfully the ride height appears to have been fixed on the petrol hatch.

1. Look steering wheel buttons (none for the UK)
2. Decent wheels (not available in the UK)
3. No Brembos on that one though

Am I super shallow that I have been holding out for this car for a couple of years now, but the lack of those wheels and the steering wheel buttons are a deal breaker for me :(

• Sad
Reactions: C_ED_99

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Good find.

Yes, thankfully the ride height appears to have been fixed on the petrol hatch.

1. Look steering wheel buttons (none for the UK)
2. Decent wheels (not available in the UK)
3. No Brembos on that one though

Am I super shallow that I have been holding out for this car for a couple of years now, but the lack of those wheels and the steering wheel buttons are a deal breaker for me :(
No not at all. Seems Seat UK are being a bit penny pinching IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: C_ED_99 and Syphon
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.