2016 2.0 TSI Cupra 290 Black - Should I buy?

Apr 7, 2021
First post and hopefully not my last as I plan to buy a 2016 2.0 TSI Cupra 290 Manual Black in the next few days. It has 33k on the clock, FSH, mechanically sound and bodywork/exterior in great shape. The third party dealer is asking 15.5k. From your experiences, does this sound a fair price, anything I should be aware of regarding previous servicing, any big service costs imminent? The dealer also says an upgraded clutch has recently been fitted due to the well known issues with the standard clutch with the manual gearbox, does this sound correct? If this deal falls through, any other points I should watch out for when buying a Cupra 290 of around the 2016 plate? Also, real life MPG, am I correct it'll be around 35mpg? Thanks in advance!

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
First post and hopefully not my last as I plan to buy a 2016 2.0 TSI Cupra 290 Manual Black in the next few days. It has 33k on the clock, FSH, mechanically sound and bodywork/exterior in great shape. The third party dealer is asking 15.5k. From your experiences, does this sound a fair price, anything I should be aware of regarding previous servicing, any big service costs imminent? The dealer also says an upgraded clutch has recently been fitted due to the well known issues with the standard clutch with the manual gearbox, does this sound correct? If this deal falls through, any other points I should watch out for when buying a Cupra 290 of around the 2016 plate? Also, real life MPG, am I correct it'll be around 35mpg? Thanks in advance!
Price sounds a bit high - especially if it's from an independent dealer. I'd check on one of the used car valuation sites.
Probably needs cam belt and water pump change at 5 years, which could be £500+ depending on where you get the work done.
I think there are a few posts about replacement clutches on the manual. I have a DSG.
Mpg depends on how you drive it. 35 Mpg is achievable but probably only if you are mostly doing steady motorway miles.
Does it come with a warranty?

Apr 7, 2021
Thanks seatgraham for the info, much appreciated. No, doesn't come with a warranty but allegedly a reputable seller (if you believe the reviews). From what you say may be one to avoid or at least negotiate the cost of cam belt/water pump to be discounted. Speaking to friends, they say a well cared for Mk1 may be worth looking at, obviously older with less tech but mechanically a good buy? Anything specific to be aware of? Or should I still focus on a 2.0 TSI Cupra 290 Manual Black?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Pretty certain VAG’s 2.0 EA888 petrol engine used in many models across the Seat, VW, Audi and Skoda brands has a timing chain rather than a cam belt.
You may be right, I may be thinking of mk2.
@OP - if it's the company I think it is, I don't know them. A lot of 5* star reviews but I noticed a lot of reviews in the same month - mostly on the same day. Just saying...

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.