Having electrical issues battery or stop/start

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Good find. i couldn't find a damn list anywhere for them! TU3 deffo is the original exide battery code as i can see it on my old battery. which is still in my boot.

on the other matter of the battery type. i took this screen shot of carista yesterday....
1619027011783.png

so at least in my up to date android version of carista there is no option for "fleece" so i left it at AGM for the moment.

Apr 21, 2021
Sorry to hijack your post but I'm having similar electrical gremlins. Started 2 weeks ago after work I went to start the car and all the electrics turn on but the car wouldnt start/turn over. I have a 1.6 diesel automatic btw. I got a flashing glow plug light warning on the dash. I had to leave it at work and came back the next day and it started fine but on the way back just coming off the M3 the start/stop system didnt work and the car wouldnt startup again. I managed to roll down a hill and park up on the side of the dual carriageway and then started the car and got it home.
Since then I've had to drive it to and from work and I've had a start stop error message pop up intermittently. I've just been turning it off to avoid a similar instance however on Sunday I forgot pulled up at some temporary traffic lights and again the engine didnt kick back in. This time I couldnt restart and had to call RAC. They were going to be a couple of hours so I tried it intermittently while I waited and managed to fire it up and get home.
The following day I drove to work with no issues but when I left work again the car wouldnt start. Same issue with the glow plug flashing dash. Luckily a guy at work jump started it for me.
I've checked the battery and it's fine. I've run a diagnostics on it and I get thr following error codes P305400 starter does not turn me basically blocked or electrical malfunction. The fact it started with the jump makes me think it's an electrical issue. I also have an error code of B116229 saying selector lever park position lock switch implausible signal. I have had an error message for this once every few months but didnt think too much of it. My question is does anyone know what the issue could be? Could the selector lever signal issue be causing the starter issue? Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Any advice welcome.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
AGM is the correct setting in this case.
Carista have just renamed ‘Fleece’ to AGM to make it easier I would imagine.
Splendid good to know!

Sorry to hijack your post but I'm having similar electrical gremlins. Started 2 weeks ago after work I went to start the car and all the electrics turn on but the car wouldnt start/turn over. I have a 1.6 diesel automatic btw. I got a flashing glow plug light warning on the dash. I had to leave it at work and came back the next day and it started fine but on the way back just coming off the M3 the start/stop system didnt work and the car wouldnt startup again. I managed to roll down a hill and park up on the side of the dual carriageway and then started the car and got it home.
Since then I've had to drive it to and from work and I've had a start stop error message pop up intermittently. I've just been turning it off to avoid a similar instance however on Sunday I forgot pulled up at some temporary traffic lights and again the engine didnt kick back in. This time I couldnt restart and had to call RAC. They were going to be a couple of hours so I tried it intermittently while I waited and managed to fire it up and get home.
The following day I drove to work with no issues but when I left work again the car wouldnt start. Same issue with the glow plug flashing dash. Luckily a guy at work jump started it for me.
I've checked the battery and it's fine. I've run a diagnostics on it and I get thr following error codes P305400 starter does not turn me basically blocked or electrical malfunction. The fact it started with the jump makes me think it's an electrical issue. I also have an error code of B116229 saying selector lever park position lock switch implausible signal. I have had an error message for this once every few months but didnt think too much of it. My question is does anyone know what the issue could be? Could the selector lever signal issue be causing the starter issue? Anyone experiencing a similar problem? Any advice welcome.
Leeroy i myself didnt think my 1.2tsi had a battery issue initially. I had two AA patrols check the battery and also an ex colleague at a halfords and both testers said it was fine. I was shown the results as well. But here we are almost two weeks on with a new battery and the car is quite fine.

How old is your car and does it still have the original battery. Like it or not it could be time for a new one. And if the error codes are anything like mine they can be caused by a domino effect of things. I wouldn't fret too much as most cars on the road are driving around with error codes on for lots of things. It's just most of them don't cause warnings to come up on peoples dashboards.

I would change the battery yourself if you feel up to it and once its registered see how it goes. Or get a garage to do it maybe on the basis that if it doesnt fix the issue they look into it furthur but retain the original battery in case it is not at fault.

FWIW the mechanic who serviced my car the saturday just gone did not sound surprised that my battery was causing the gremlins. he said even if there was one bad cell in the stop start battery it could render it useless. It would probably run hapilly for ages still in a non stop start car. But not so in a modern one.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I think changing the battery is a sensible idea. A while back mine started saying it had airbag errors with a code I couldn't reset. I took it to an independent VW place for advice and they said my battery was a bit tired and to try replacing it. They reset the code for free and I replaced the battery and programmed in the new one myself and the car has been spot-on ever since. Modern cars, at least VAG group ones, seem to be extremely sensitive to the tiniest battery issues :rolleyes: .

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Yeah I can also add to this that since I changed (and upgraded) my battery from the original EFB to the Exide AGM battery in my 2 yr old R ST all my random electrical faults that would show up in OBD11 have gone and the car starts up much happier now also.
Stop start also works again now, controversial I know, but I’d rather have it working and disable it myself than not have it all all.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Well 2 months on and the car has been running fine! Even had my best mpg ever. 667 miles on one full tank of petrol haha. I'd definitely consider the matter closed now to be fair.

Reactions: Woody_72