Leaving the VAG fold

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Treated myself for Christmas

The Audi A3 is going and being replaced with a Mercedes-Benz CLA200 AMG Line Auto. By far the nicest car i have ever bought. I needed a bigger family car than the A3 hatch. This is kindov a compromise. Estate meets Coupe design. Love or hate I guess.

I had a choice of colours available but I have went with Red which seems quite unpopular

It is rather well specced

Full heated Leather
Cruise
Parktronic (parks itself apparently)
Panoramic Roof (why i fell in love with it)
COMAND which is upgraded larger infotainment

04.jpg
08.jpg
07.jpg

Reading the reviews i don't think the engine / auto box will be as nice as VAG DSG.

I purchased through Cinch and it has been a good experience so far. Cuts out the faff. No salesman nonsense and a fixed trade in price.

Roll on 6th Jan

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@BigJase88 - looks really nice 😎. I must say I like the styling of current generation Mercedes cars.

Although I’m not ready to change my VW for 3 years or so, I’ll be looking at non VAG cars next time - I‘ve owned VW’s since 2002 and I think it’ll be time for a change To something different.

Will be interested to hear of your Merc experiences.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Treated myself for Christmas

The Audi A3 is going and being replaced with a Mercedes-Benz CLA200 AMG Line Auto. By far the nicest car i have ever bought. I needed a bigger family car than the A3 hatch. This is kindov a compromise. Estate meets Coupe design. Love or hate I guess.

I had a choice of colours available but I have went with Red which seems quite unpopular

It is rather well specced

Full heated Leather
Cruise
Parktronic (parks itself apparently)
Panoramic Roof (why i fell in love with it)
COMAND which is upgraded larger infotainment

View attachment 29051 View attachment 29052 View attachment 29053

Reading the reviews i don't think the engine / auto box will be as nice as VAG DSG.

I purchased through Cinch and it has been a good experience so far. Cuts out the faff. No salesman nonsense and a fixed trade in price.

Roll on 6th Jan
Nice new Xmas present, tried and tested tech too. You’ll have to put a personal review up fella, be interesting to see what you think.

Reactions: BigJase88

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
That’s a great looking car mate I’m sure you’ll love it. My wife has an a200d amg line and it’s a great car, little on the small side especially the boot but you won’t have that issue. The interior is really nice, so much better than my poverty spec Leon 😂. The only issue I found with the amg line is the seats, they’re not the most comfortable on the longer journeys.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That’s a great looking car mate I’m sure you’ll love it. My wife has an a200d amg line and it’s a great car, little on the small side especially the boot but you won’t have that issue. The interior is really nice, so much better than my poverty spec Leon 😂. The only issue I found with the amg line is the seats, they’re not the most comfortable on the longer journeys.
It was either the red one or a black CLA220d 4matic. The black one had no panoramic sunroof and when i checked the tax it was £455 so i stuck with the CLA200d as it is only £155 tax

No way was i paying £455 tax every year so that was the decision made.

Ah right I don't do much long distance anyways so hopefully be okay

Reactions: Jay5959

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Nice new Xmas present, tried and tested tech too. You’ll have to put a personal review up fella, be interesting to see what you think.
Hoping the gearbox and engine aren't as dull as most reviews say

My missus has a mini cooper auto and the gearbox in that is very sluggish to decide what it wants to do 🥴

Reactions: jcbmally

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
It was either the red one or a black CLA220d 4matic. The black one had no panoramic sunroof and when i checked the tax it was £455 so i stuck with the CLA200d as it is only £155 tax

£455 tax on a 220d 😮! You picked the correct car mate. It’s a much nicer colour too

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
£455 tax on a 220d 😮! You picked the correct car mate. It’s a much nicer colour too
I think the 2wd 220d is £155 but the 4wd is £455.

So that made my mind up. I personally love the red but my missus didnt like it and I felt the black in estate form looked slightly reminiscent of a hearse so I bought the car I wanted.

My friends aren't too keen on the red either 🤣

• Haha

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I think the 2wd 220d is £155 but the 4wd is £455.

So that made my mind up. I personally love the red but my missus didnt like it and I felt the black in estate form looked slightly reminiscent of a hearse so I bought the car I wanted.

My friends aren't too keen on the red either 🤣
They’re just jealous mate 😂. That’s quite the jump in tax from 2 to 4 wheel drive. I assume it’s still the same 2.1 L 177hp engine?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They’re just jealous mate 😂. That’s quite the jump in tax from 2 to 4 wheel drive. I assume it’s still the same 2.1 L 177hp engine?
Yeah thats the one

4wd must burn more fuel which will be more emissions = more tax

The 200d that i have went for is 136bhp which is less than my current 150 tdi A3

I think it books a second slower to 60 too at 9.2 seconds

I suppose if it's lacking could easily get it tuned up

EDIT - I just checked the 4wd is not £455 a year it is £490 😵

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
@BigJase88 - looks really nice 😎. I must say I like the styling of current generation Mercedes cars.

Although I’m not ready to change my VW for 3 years or so, I’ll be looking at non VAG cars next time - I‘ve owned VW’s since 2002 and I think it’ll be time for a change To something different.

Will be interested to hear of your Merc experiences.
Yeah the new VAG cars do look nice but from reading most reviews the whole buttonless dash has got me to look elsewhere.

Plus the new Mercedes (next gen on from the one i have purchased) the interiors on them are just beautiful.

cupraatecastu

Jun 29, 2020

Regarding the difference in tax I am confused. The tax regime changed in April 2017, and only vehicles costing over £40k at registration attracted the higher rate of tax you mention, but only for the first 5 years.

So I believe it is down to that (as the one you are buying is registered after September 2017) rather than differences in emissions, unless the black one you was considering was an older vehicle pre April 2017, in which case the higher rate applies all the time rather than just the first 5 years.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Regarding the difference in tax I am confused. The tax regime changed in April 2017, and only vehicles costing over £40k at registration attracted the higher rate of tax you mention, but only for the first 5 years.

So I believe it is down to that (as the one you are buying is registered after September 2017) rather than differences in emissions, unless the black one you was considering was an older vehicle pre April 2017, in which case the higher rate applies all the time rather than just the first 5 years.
The black one was a 2018

Probably over 40k list as 4matic and COMAND system then

Reactions: xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Yeah the new VAG cars do look nice but from reading most reviews the whole buttonless dash has got me to look elsewhere.

Plus the new Mercedes (next gen on from the one i have purchased) the interiors on them are just beautiful.

That was one of the things that put me off ordering a mk8 Golf R. Bought a BMW instead which I’m well impressed with - especially as it’ll hit 60 in 3.6!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Car came today

It can actually go alright too. Quicker than the 134bhp would lead you to believe. Not too far behind the departing 150 tdi A3.

Gear selector being on the right steering wheel stalk will take a bit of getting used to.

Window wipers use same stalk as the indicator.

Mind blown 🤣

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Car came today

It can actually go alright too. Quicker than the 134bhp would lead you to believe. Not too far behind the departing 150 tdi A3.

Gear selector being on the right steering wheel stalk will take a bit of getting used to.

Window wipers use same stalk as the indicator.

Mind blown 🤣
It’s amazing how much they can fit on to one stalk! I can imagine what you’re response will be, but how do you rate the interior compared to your Leon?
edit: and A3, assumed you had a leon as on the forum?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It’s amazing how much they can fit on to one stalk! I can imagine what you’re response will be, but how do you rate the interior compared to your Leon?
edit: and A3, assumed you had a leon as on the forum?
Its a step up from the Leon

Compared to the A3 the carpets aren't as good quality. Akin to something you would get in a French car. I imagine they will attract all sorts of mess in them.

The mercedes has a better top half of the dash, leather / red stitching on doorcards and dash is a nice touch. Lower down you get those nasty horrible hard scratchy plastics that you don't get in the Audi.

I don't think the Audi Infotainment is as good as VAG's offerings although i must admit i don't really know how to use it just yet 🤣

Pro's and con' of the Audi and Mercedes i would say they are probably on a level playing field

Drive wise the engine is slightly more agricultural than the 2.0 tdi i had in my A3. The gearbox isn't quite as responsive either but it is certainly better than the reviews i have read about it. Certainly better than the missus Mini Cooper Auto cause that is a snooze box on that thing.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
20220107_003818.jpg

No idea why but window is signed

Also appears to be internal

No idea how you would even do that

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.