Changing rear discs on Leon Fr 2017

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Hi all.
I managed to change the rear brake pads on my Leon yesterday. Quite easy if you have the right tools. Unfortunately, I'll need to change the discs too.
I know that some of you have done it and may be able to share some tips on how to do this job efficiently.

What is the best way/tools to remove the rear caliper carrier?

I know from reading the forum that the 2 bolts are a nightmare to remove due to them being very tight and not having much room.
I know I'll need a M14 spline socket, and I have it. I'm planning to buy a breaker bar but not sure what length would be the best for the job, so it fits inside the wheel arch,
Mind I'll be doing it off the floor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy New Year, wishing you all the best.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Ordinarily, you would fit new pads with the new discs at the same time, otherwise the pads will bed-in to the worn rear discs.

I used a 2'/60cm breaker bar - doesn't really need to fit in the rear arch, especially if off the ground - bar will be to the rear of the car pointing towards rear.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi all.
I managed to change the rear brake pads on my Leon yesterday. Quite easy if you have the right tools. Unfortunately, I'll need to change the discs too.
I know that some of you have done it and may be able to share some tips on how to do this job efficiently.

What is the best way/tools to remove the rear caliper carrier?

I know from reading the forum that the 2 bolts are a nightmare to remove due to them being very tight and not having much room.
I know I'll need a M14 spline socket, and I have it. I'm planning to buy a breaker bar but not sure what length would be the best for the job, so it fits inside the wheel arch,
Mind I'll be doing it off the floor.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy New Year, wishing you all the best.
I think, depending on the size of your discs, you may be able to get the discs off without removing the caliper carriers. I bought all the tools to do the job then found I was able to just about clear the carriers, it was on a 2ltr Golf TDI.

Sochaux

Jan 28, 2018
Access is really difficult on the rears to remove the caliper carrier, fortunately you don’t need to remove it to change the discs as there is sufficient space to slide them in.

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Ordinarily, you would fit new pads with the new discs at the same time, otherwise the pads will bed-in to the worn rear discs.

I used a 2'/60cm breaker bar - doesn't really need to fit in the rear arch, especially if off the ground - bar will be to the rear of the car pointing towards rear.
Hi.
Yes, I know I should have changed them at the same time. I will have a look tomorrow if I can get the discs off without removing the carrier. I don't think so, but I'll give it a go. Now, I'll have to do it on my drive that's why I'm not sure of the length of a breaker bar to buy.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I got them out with a 1/2" regular socket set so you don't need a breaker bar

Just some muscles
Wow - you must have had your Weetabix!
Torque for these bolts is 90Nm+90deg which is rather tight! You sure no one had been there before? or just some pipe on your 1/2" ratchet?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi.
Yes, I know I should have changed them at the same time. I will have a look tomorrow if I can get the discs off without removing the carrier. I don't think so, but I'll give it a go. Now, I'll have to do it on my drive that's why I'm not sure of the length of a breaker bar to buy.
Depends on your disc diameter & height as to whether you can get them out without removing the carrier and there are a couple of variations on the Leon.
I could on my old Audi but they were only 252 discs.
I don't think I could on my Leon with my 272 discs - but to be honest I haven't tried - just undo the carrier bolts.
With a standard 1/2" breaker bar and a couple of different extension lengths you should be able to find a combination to undo them.
Torque is 90Nm+90deg. Should fit new bolts 'by the book' but many don't and they seem fine!

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
All is sorted now, changed it yesterday.
The 15" breaker bar+ M14 spline bit socket did the trick.
Thank you all for your input!

Have a question regarding the front slider pins, does any of you remember if the one with the rubber goes first from the top?
Thanks

Attachments

• sliding pins.jpg
    sliding pins.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 77

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
All is sorted now, changed it yesterday.
The 15" breaker bar+ M14 spline bit socket did the trick.
Thank you all for your input!

Have a question regarding the front slider pins, does any of you remember if the one with the rubber goes first from the top?
Thanks
This rubber bushing is a vibration damper. I'm 75% sure :rolleyes: it goes in the top - but have seen others say it goes in the bottom!
It's all part of the NVH fine tuning of the OEM brake system - and I would imaging you will not notice any difference top or bottom with aftermarket pads.

This bushing's location is 'so' important there is NO mention of it in the Seat braking working shop manual!
All I can see is the feint line in number 4 pin below which I would 'assume' is the bushing on the top pin.
I remove, clean and replace one pin at a time so haven't noted where mine were. Can you check the other side?

#edit#
I have now found information that the rubber bushing goes with the LEADING pin - so backing up my comment above for the top pin on the Leon.
If the Caliper was at the rear of the axle - the leading pin would be the bottom pin.

1672912677199.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zboro

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
The reason I was asking about this rubber bushing is that a month ago I changed the pads and discs on the front. After a week, I got an occasional squeak coming from the right side. It's driving me crazy. I went to regrease the pins but no change. I thought I've put them back the wrong way around. But yes, on both sides is the top one. Couldn't find any info in the manual too.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The reason I was asking about this rubber bushing is that a month ago I changed the pads and discs on the front. After a week, I got an occasional squeak coming from the right side. It's driving me crazy. I went to regrease the pins but no change. I thought I've put them back the wrong way around. But yes, on both sides is the top one. Couldn't find any info in the manual too.
What brake pads/discs did you fit?
The pads are/should also be handed with a piston cutout on the inboard pad - are these installed in the correct orientation?
Are the pads free to slide in the caliper carrier? The spring clips on this brake system can sometimes be too tight and bind the pads.
With the front wheels off the floor, stand on the brake pedal and release; now check your wheels rotation, brake should not bind/drag.

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
What brake pads/discs did you fit?
The pads are/should also be handed with a piston cutout on the inboard pad - are these installed in the correct orientation?
Are the pads free to slide in the caliper carrier? The spring clips on this brake system can sometimes be too tight and bind the pads.
With the front wheels off the floor, stand on the brake pedal and release; now check your wheels rotation, brake should not bind/drag.
I got Brembo pads and discs. Just to clarify, I meant to write that I get an occasional squeak when BRAKING only. Sorry for the confusion.
I think the pads are rubbish. I'll have a look again on Friday, but I get a feeling I'll be shopping for new pads.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I got Brembo pads and discs. Just to clarify, I meant to write that I get an occasional squeak when BRAKING only. Sorry for the confusion.
I think the pads are rubbish. I'll have a look again on Friday, but I get a feeling I'll be shopping for new pads.
Yes I understood you had occasional noise whilst braking. When the pads gently/constantly drag on the disc it can be enough to increase heat & make noise occurrences more common whilst braking.
I'm afraid aftermarket Brembo pads are very much trading on their brand name - but are nothing to do with their OEM calipers/friction.

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Yes I understood you had occasional noise whilst braking. When the pads gently/constantly drag on the disc it can be enough to increase heat & make noise occurrences more common whilst braking.
I'm afraid aftermarket Brembo pads are very much trading on their brand name - but are nothing to do with their OEM calipers/friction.
What brand would you recommend?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What brand would you recommend?
Genuine VAG pads.
Pads by well known brake system manufactures are NOT genuine pads just in a different box.
I would find the OEM pad part number - then search for this number in google and your favorite auction sites to find the best price. I often find genuine OEM pads for the similar price to aftermarket pads.

Reactions: Zboro

Zboro

Oct 24, 2020
Genuine VAG pads.
Pads by well known brake system manufactures are NOT genuine pads just in a different box.
I would find the OEM pad part number - then search for this number in google and your favorite auction sites to find the best price. I often find genuine OEM pads for the similar price to aftermarket pads.
I got new pads at the end. Will put them on tomorrow. Do you know which way round they go; which side of the brake pad goes on the inside?
I want to make sure they are the right way in the first place.

Attachments

• 20230203_184719.jpg
    20230203_184719.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 101

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The top 2 go on the piston side.

Im not sure which is which however but thats half the question answered

Bottom ones are the same so not important

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.