Simply not good enough

nsj

I have just disposed of my 05 Altea after 1 year, because I think SEAT lost the plot with this one.

Apart from the really awful stereo, terrible speakers, bug ridden bluetooth implementation, there are far too many squeeks and rattles. I am a high mileage driver cica 20k pa and compared to my previous Toledo's the Altea does not have the same build quality. Yes, I think they improved the design both inside and out but lost the plot on the engineering. They look to be going the Alfa Romeo way - style over content.

Lem

Can you tell us a little more about your problems?

As it is I'm waiting pen-in-hand to sign on the dotted line for an FR when they finally turn up. I'm aware of the bluetooth issues (these appear to be getting progressively, if slowly solved with firmware updates) and the stereo sounds much like the one in my old Octavia vRS - It'll be going from the dealer straight to the sound shop for an upgrade.

However, my Octy racked up 144k miles of total abuse with no problems what so ever, except for the cam followers and the clutch letting go at 100k.
I was hoping for more of the same with the Seat, especially I plan to treat it somewhat more kindly than I did the Skoda

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
exactly

My sentiments exactly, as I discussed with my dealer only yesterday when my 54 plate 2.0TDI Sport had its 20k service. Apparently we are not alone in having numerous rattles and other defects.

Mine, although great to drive, is not a patch on the Cordoba before it when it comes to build quality, fit and finish, let alone up to something like an old shape Leon or a Megane (yes, really!)

Problems include rattles and squeaks from the dash and speakers, cruise control that more often than not won't work (and sometimes cuts out whilst in use - dangerous!), crud sound quality from the stereo, electric drivers window that often goes some way up then motors all the way down, and occasional hesitation when accelerating at full power. And let's not forget the injector that failed leaving me stranded (fixed well by the dealer). All of these were pointed out on the customer satisfaction survey sent to me at the end of last year on Seat's behalf.

Not impressive for a >£16k car. I fear this will be my last Seat. :(

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I imagine its the same system that Audi use for Bluetooth, as I know for a fact that many customers, including Manchester United board and players, are having trouble with theirs in the A8's.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
and the stereo sounds much like the one in my old Octavia vRS
i don't know how to take that comment.my vrs stereo is aweful,speakers that vibrate,only just drown out the dash rattles,and there was me thinking of going back to SEAT next time round.
100k ibiza and 75k cordoba were silent compared to the vrs,and they were both lowered.i daren't stiffen up the suspension on the vrs,for fear of something falling off:censored:

Lem

My comment about the vRS and Altea stereo is as it sounds. On a test drive of the Altea I tried the stereo and thought 'This sounds as pants as the one in my old Skoda'. Had a peak behind the speaker grills and saw the same nasty speakers. At least I know what to do to improve it!

My old Skoda was easily the best car I've ever owned. Solid (a 306 completly demolished itself running into the back - I had a very small dent in my bumper), reliable, fast and fun. Just not very frugal!

I've got a Megane dCi130 as a company hack until next month when I leave. Done 20k on it without any drama, but it still feels flimsy compared to the VW group stuff.

nsj

It was just a build quality thing. The fit, finish and interior componets are really not up to scratch for a car in this price range and not a patch on the Toledo/Leon. Although I did feel that my 2002 Toledo was not as good as the 2000 one. Also the MPG was 10mpg less for a slower car with a less powerful engine.

I have replaced it with a 2005 Mondeo Ghia X TDCi 130.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Dont blame ya at all. Ford have come along way lately and i have been seriously impressed by the recent fiesta and focus models. I think my next motor will be a mk1 Focus 1.6zetec or a mk5 Fiesta zetec S.

The only thing that would tempt me to a VAG car would be the brilliant diesel engines, but i cant stand rattles and serious mechanical faults. None of my previous VAG cars have given me any major problems and i dont want to get one of the more recent offerings and have a bad experience.

Its the unfortunate ones like you guys that are going to stop us buying a lemon later on.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
The biggest problem here seems to be the inconsistency of the build quality and parts, Its for the reasons of consistency, reliability and after care that the Japanese firms tend to come top of surveys. We all know Seat are capable of building good cars it's just a shame they don't seem to be able to do it all the time.
Mine is a 54 plate 2.0 TDi sport and the worst problems i have had in 33,000 miles is the boot lock stop working and a reversing sensor dropping inside the bumper both fixed quickly and efficiently under warranty. We all know the speakers aren't great, but that appears to be a VAG group problem as my Vrs Octavia also had rubbish speakers and the new Octavia's aren't any better.
Seat need to wake up to the fact that we want every car they manufacture to be good not just a percentage. It might be this problem that has lead to a drop in sales as reported last week.
Paul

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
but skoda offer an upgrade for some amount of money,if they know this is second best why put it in the bloody car in the first place?i'd rather the car cost more knowing its got a BOSE system than "make do" with the complete shite thats in there.
even someone that doesn't have the cd up to max can see the system is pants,my rattles get better when th car is warm,i cannot see how in the chez republic the car being "unrattly"in the cold in that country where it was developed,perhaps its just a RHD thing

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
jason said:
but skoda offer an upgrade for some amount of money,if they know this is second best why put it in the bloody car in the first place?i'd rather the car cost more knowing its got a BOSE system than "make do" with the complete shite thats in there.
even someone that doesn't have the cd up to max can see the system is pants,my rattles get better when th car is warm,i cannot see how in the chez republic the car being "unrattly"in the cold in that country where it was developed,perhaps its just a RHD thing

I agree and if they realised that these days most people want a decent sound out of their stereo and put the better system in every car the additional cost would only be a few pounds per car rather than hundreds as optional extra.
My Vrs was always pretty rattle free even after 44K in two years and being driven quite hard, like i say a lack of consistency lets the group down!
Paul

Dudemeister

ALTEA 2.0TDI SE Black Mag
Feb 19, 2002
Bromley, KENT
www.hulkhead.net
have not posted for a while but our 54 altea 2.0TDI has more or less behaved itself. Apart from having the boot lock replaced 3 times (all sorted well by the dealer). sometimes we get a rattle from the glove box but nothing any worse than any previous car i have owned. Do not really care about the stereo. i only listen to the radio in the car and it does its job.
Apart from that i have been well happy. i love the performance, the comfort etc.

Lem

Glad someone's happy with theirs! Having test driven everything remotely suitable, both me and the missus both really liked the Altea.
I guess there are a few 'friday afternoon specials' out there. Jason seems to have problems with his Octy vRS and mine hardly missed a bit.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Lem said:
Glad someone's happy with theirs! Having test driven everything remotely suitable, both me and the missus both really liked the Altea.
I guess there are a few 'friday afternoon specials' out there. Jason seems to have problems with his Octy vRS and mine hardly missed a bit.

I've found my wife's altea to be excellent in every way.....Top car in my opinion...yes the plastics are a bit cheap but then have you been in a golf...that is poor too and you pay a lot more money for that

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i cant understand why the qualities getting worse, as a business studies student it baffles me. They are obviously cost cutting but if its putting customers off then its loosing them money not saving them it.

Looking over this forum for the last few months its the older cars that have the least problems and the generally happier owners.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.