• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Sep 17, 2026
2
1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Seat Leon 1M 1.6 petrol, and I’m trying to replace the worn gear shifter bushings because there is quite a lot of play in the gear lever.

The problem is that my shifter mechanism looks completely different from almost every Leon 1M guide, diagram or video I can find online.

Under the centre console I have a large shifter assembly mounted to the body with four 13 mm nuts. Most of the assembly is covered in a thick rubber/insulation layer.

In the middle there is a white plastic housing. Inside it there is a circular plastic part around the gear lever ball joint, held in place by around 8 plastic tabs/clips. I could not find a safe way to release these clips without breaking them.

There is also a metal bracket mounted on top of the plastic housing with three 13 mm nuts. The bracket arches over the housing, and at the front it has an extension. The reverse gear return spring is located underneath this extension.

This is the main thing that confuses me, because in almost every Leon 1M diagram I have found, the return spring is mounted around/on the gear lever itself. On my car it is clearly mounted under this separate metal bracket.

Has anyone ever seen this version of the shifter mechanism before?

I’m mainly trying to find out:

  • What type of shifter mechanism/gearbox setup this is
  • Where the replaceable gear lever bushings are located
  • Whether there is a workshop manual or exploded diagram for this exact version
I can provide photos/drawings if needed.

Thanks in advance!
 
Photos are absolutely helpful here!

[edit]
I went into my Leon 1M archives and found some pictures, which might be helpful. I had the 6 speed 02M (if I remember correctly) gearbox

photo_download.gne


Picture from when I installed the short shifter (front back movement only)

photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


42 Draft Designs solid billet bushing

photo_download.gne
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: wallahi
Photos are absolutely helpful here!

[edit]
I went into my Leon 1M archives and found 3 pictures, which might be helpful. I had the 6 speed 02M (if I remember correctly) gearbox

photo_download.gne


Picture from when I installed the short shifter (front back movement only)

photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


photo_download.gne


42 Draft Designs solid billet bushing

photo_download.gne
Thank you for the reply! Today morning I figured out myself that my seat has a 5 speed manual from a 1997 Audi A3. But I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nd-photo.nl