• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Sep 13, 2026
3
0
Hi all,

I’ve got a 2018 SEAT Leon Cupra 300 and I’m trying to track down a front-end rattle/knock.


The main issue is a rattle/knocking noise over lots of small bumps, which is definitely more noticeable on the left-hand side. I can also sometimes feel a slight vibration/looseness through the steering wheel when going over rough surfaces.
I’m also getting creaking when turning the wheel at low speeds but I’m not sure if this could be related to another issue.


I’ve recently had both front shock absorber and top mounts replaced. The car feels much better since then, but the rattle/knock was there before the work, so I don’t think the shock/top mount replacement has fixed or caused it.

I’m thinking it could be the inner tie rod causing it as I’ve taken the wheel off today and I can feel a bit of freedom through it when someone is turning the wheel

Any ideas?

See attached video of noise
 
Hi Alex, 2017 Leon Cupra 300 here with exactly the same ‘rattle/clunky’ noise coming from passenger side front end over bumps.
I’ve had the car since Feb and the noise has always been there (albeit intermittently). Took it back to the dealer at first for diagnosis, they agreed the noise was there but could find nothing wrong.
I’m living with it atm until the service/mot is due with my usual garage who can investigate further.
 
Hi Alex, 2017 Leon Cupra 300 here with exactly the same ‘rattle/clunky’ noise coming from passenger side front end over bumps.
I’ve had the car since Feb and the noise has always been there (albeit intermittently). Took it back to the dealer at first for diagnosis, they agreed the noise was there but could find nothing wrong.
I’m living with it atm until the service/mot is due with my usual garage who can investigate further.
I’ve ordered two new drop links for the front to see if this solves the issue but not 100% sure if it will .will let you know if it fixes it .
 
Do the same test again - but try to grab both inner and outer tie rods, you'll be able to feel any play. Really need to take the gaiter off the inner one to get a better look.
Or with the wheel on, holding it at 3 & 9 (o'clock) try to twist the wheel forwards and back - and get a friend to hold the ball joints - again to feel for play.
Do the same test, but hold at 12 & 6 and twist up and down and feel your ball joint on the wishbone for play.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nd-photo.nl
I had low speed creaking - and it was my rear bush from my wishbone. Didn't look bad but was creaking. I also had a suspension knock - which was my ball joint - so two new wishbones cured it for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nd-photo.nl
Do the same test again - but try to grab both inner and outer tie rods, you'll be able to feel any play. Really need to take the gaiter off the inner one to get a better look.
Or with the wheel on, holding it at 3 & 9 (o'clock) try to twist the wheel forwards and back - and get a friend to hold the ball joints - again to feel for play.
Do the same test, but hold at 12 & 6 and twist up and down and feel your ball joint on the wishbone for play.

@SuperV8 .did the drop links today and hasn’t fixed it .did the test with the ball joints and no play in them.with the gators to take them off they have a one time clip at the back . Or can I just remove the front one and pull the gator back to expose the joint.if I fined it’s not the inner tie rods will it be most likely a steering rack issue ?
 
@SuperV8 .did the drop links today and hasn’t fixed it .did the test with the ball joints and no play in them.with the gators to take them off they have a one time clip at the back . Or can I just remove the front one and pull the gator back to expose the joint.if I fined it’s not the inner tie rods will it be most likely a steering rack issue ?
The inner steering gator clips are crimp type/one time use.
You wouldn't be able to expose the inner ball joint by only removing the outer gaiter clip.
You might be able to 'feel' some play with the gaiter in place, it's just easier to feel if the gaitor is removed.
I think i'd rebuild the entire front suspension - before suspecting the rack! as they are expensive.