Fitting a Towbar to Cupra R

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Hi jaybo, i'm new here too and am having the same problems as you with wanting to tow behind a cupra r. Before I get mocked its a kart not a caravan! did you have any luck getting one fitted and talking to your insurance? any help will be appreciated! cheers

jaybo

ha i went for the easier option and sold the leon and got a scooby lol

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
ah thats a shame.. i've just put deposit down on LCR!! will have to find another way to transport kart; altho i did find someone on the vw forum that has fitted a hidden towbar behind their license plate on an r32 (not type approved either).. theres still hope :) cheers anyway

colinpuk

Jan 2, 2008
Slough
www.colinpeach.co.uk
if i ever get my lcr fixed , im putting a towbar on for my race car ,
i bought the lcr with out knowin about not being able to tow!

is there any reason for this? dose it actualy say no to towing?

dose the lcr have a rear tow hook? mines been gone so long i cant remember :p

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
if i ever get my lcr fixed , im putting a towbar on for my race car ,
i bought the lcr with out knowin about not being able to tow!

is there any reason for this? dose it actualy say no to towing?

dose the lcr have a rear tow hook? mines been gone so long i cant remember :p

I have successfully fitted a Witter removeable towbar to an LCR.. best bit is i kept the bit of bumper i cut and it fits back in so you wouldn't know the bar was even there :)

I think the handbook says no to towing but my dealer suggested it would be fine for light loads. (I'm only towing 100kgs of race kart, so 200kg with trailer.)

Yes there is a rear towing hook.. where has yours gone?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
junior senior. I'll sort some pics for you tomorrow.. dark now! will be in the afternoon though as i have to go to the dealers in the morning..2 buckled wheels on the car when I bought it from them last week :(

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Okay, so the part numbers for the towbar are: Witter VW43C and Witter Quantum Upgrade ZQ3012.

The guide I used to fit my towbar can be found at http://www.simonranson.com/SeatLeonFR_towbar.htm
It is an excellent guide; thanks to Simon fo creating it!

The only additional information you will need is:

When you mount the side arms for the main cross bar, there are 2 sets of holes. You need to mount them so the cross bar is furthest from the car.

The electrics: I used a bit of trial and error but now have a fully working trailer board; the colour wires i have matched are as below: (the first refers to the wires coming from the electric socket/buzzer.

Orange – White&Black on LH Cluster
Black – Grey&Black on LH Cluster
Brown – Grey&Red on Wires along boot top
White – Brown on Wires along boot top
Red – Red&Black on Wires along boot top
Blue – Grey&White on Wires along boot top (this was present on my 1.4s but not my LCR)
Grey – Green&Black on Wires along boot top

I removed a small area of insulation and then soldered the wires in, and taped them up.

This finished item looks as below:
Rear of the car from a distance - Cover can hardly be seen
DSC00454.jpg

Remove one torx screw to release cover
DSC00455.jpg

The cover - held with tabs at the back and a screw at the front
DSC00457.jpg

The towbar mount
DSC00456.jpg

Electrics socket hidden inside the bumper
DSC00460.jpg

Locking the towbar in place
DSC00458.jpg

The finished article
DSC00459.jpg

Last edited:

brad1

yeah aimed at jaybo, not in a nasty way, i just cant see how he can get insured on a cupra r, ok i have three accidents all gone in my favour but not along ago i did a insurance quote for a cupra r, with no accidents just to see, 2 years ncb and my mum and dad on the policy and it was very expensive to say the least

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
my Cupra alone cost me £1,300 to get insured with a years NCB, No insurance company would touch me on a Cupra R under 21 although to be fair he could have gone through private insurance, or he could just not live in this country, or he could be one of those compulsive liar kinds that thinks by making themselves sound rich people will like them... Who knows.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
sorry to bump this thred but i've been wondering how easy it would be to fit a tow bar to my seat leon fr tdi so i can tow my mx bike.

do you mind me asking how much it cost to do this and was it relatively straight forward to do?

i'm presuming that it would be a similar process for the tdi as the petrol car?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Has anyone ever looked into the legal side though?. If the cars deemed unsuitable for towing and you fit a bar does that invalidate your insurance?.
Forget the dealer giving the ok as I doubt they would cough up any money towards a claim :)

Bloooor

Has anyone ever looked into the legal side though?. If the cars deemed unsuitable for towing and you fit a bar does that invalidate your insurance?.
Forget the dealer giving the ok as I doubt they would cough up any money towards a claim :)

I would also like to know this if anyone has any info about it. :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008

My insurance company are aware I have a towbar, it is noted on my policy :)

It is relatively simple and straight forward to fit. If you use the guide I posted a link to further up the thread, you should find it straight forward. I think cost is around £250.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
so thats £250 for the detachable tow bar? doesn't seem too extortionate!! just had a quick look at the guide and seems quite straight forward.

would the unsuitability of the FR petrol apply to the FR diesel or do they have a different chassis?

I'm pleasantly surprised by how neat the finished article looks, I was having nightmares about having a gaping hole in the bumper, but it seems you can only really see it if you look closely from below!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.