Changing spark plugs...

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
Is it possible to change the plug nearest the passenger side without moving the turbo->smic charge pipe? I can't see how the coilpack could be removed otherwise.

r1cky

Banana Rama cupra car
Oct 12, 2004
would also like to know this as im changing mine next week, what type of plugs do people use? always used Bosh 4's in other cars ive owned.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Simon L said:
Is it possible to change the plug nearest the passenger side without moving the turbo->smic charge pipe? I can't see how the coilpack could be removed otherwise.

no - but you can undo the mount at the front & push it over just enough

flashbsd

ditto, just changed mine thanks to hooch's advice :)

i had to remove the samco hose to free it up a bit more also, but you can easily get coil out etc

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Old thread bump, will be chaning my spark plugs this week, but wondering what size spark plug socket i need to use? Going to have to buy one from halfrauds as i cant find any in the garage!

Anyone know?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
isn't it a 14mm deep socket (and then you choose 1/2 or 3/8 drive depending on what size ratchet head you have)?

You can get a tool from Hellfrauds by a company called Laser for doing this. Their best tool is a flexi shaft driver for doing up 6/7mm jubilee clips (cheers to m0rk for enlightening me to this)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Phil you are right, they are 16mm around the plug body (see image below)

P1000076.JPG

However, if you use a Halfords plug socket they call it a 10mm (confusing??? - see below)

P1000075.JPG

Need to get a torque wrench out to check mine after seeing your thread the other day.

Feb 25, 2007
stroud
yes you can its a fiddle but i have managed it i run NGK PFR6Q in mine they last and work a treat jabba sport put me on to them years ago

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.