Heat sink ??

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Whilst approaching my car at teatime today, I noticed something hanging down underneath the driver's footwell area, and on further inspection it appears to be a heat sink of some description, which should evidently be bolted to the underneath of the car. It appears to have come loose at one end, so I have had to wedge a screwdriver in there to temporarily hold it in position, until I can have a closer look tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what it is, and has anyone had a similar problem ???

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
seems like it is your diesel cooler.

if it's missing a nut, it may be part N90761102 you need to secure it back up.

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Been underneath this morning and can confirm it is the diesel cooler. The front mounting stud has come away from the underside of the car, and as I can see no other way of fastening it back up, then I have had to resort to epoxy resin, with a screwdriver wedged in until it sets !!
Anyone else had this problem ??

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Well, the epoxy resin has lasted about 14 weeks before it has finally let go today, and I am back to square 1 again with the screwdriver wedged back in. Anyone else had this problem, or can suggest a better method of securing it ????

Last edited:

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
I've done a more permanent fix this time (I hope !!). I removed the plastic undertray around the cooler, and then used a spring and some cable ties to fasten it back up, along with some superglue for good measure, and then put the undertray back on. Hopefully this has done the trick !!

meralto

I had the same experience finding this under the chassis under the driver's seat...I took an even more permanent route...I took all the carpet and sound-deadening material up (after removing loads of trim panels around that area) and discovered that there are no electrical looms or other components directly above the original spot-welded lug. I drilled a 6mm hole exactly through the mounting hole of the diesel cooler up through what seemed like maybe only two skins of metal after getting through the spot-weld. I had M6 flat head stainless steel hex bolt (35mm I think) knocking around and passed that through from the driver's footwell then added a stainless washer and lock nut to hold in place. Trim re-fixed - Job done. I do dislike 'bodge jobs' but I have come across similar instances of these spot-welded lugs shearing/ corroding off at the weld on a couple of occasions during my mechanicing days and a good quality bolt, washer and nut has been the solution every time. One to watch out for.

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Cheers Meralto...I did think of "going this route" myself, but was a bit pushed for time and didn't fancy taking all the plastic trim panels off and lifting the carpet....but who know's, if my "fix" doesn't work, then I suppose I will have to bite the bullet..!!