Dreaded over heating

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I know this might sounds like it's been discussed before but I wanted to share my experience of late.
Car has been fine and only over heated once before hurricane mode kicked in.
The other day a similar thing happened whilst sat in miles of traffic, so one went the HOT blowers to dissipate the heat and it slowly settled back, but that was a proper scary moment.
Now, the car does takes more time than average to get to op temperature and generally stays at 90, but a few days back crept past that.
The thermostat was changed back in 2016 and the coolant level is always been fine.
What's the best cause of action for this as I'm gonna have to try to get this sorted by trial and error, perhaps change the stat and coolant? What do people think?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Stat is why it takes a long time to warm up, but extremely unlikely to be the cause of the over heating. Check that the slow speed fan is working as a first step. That is the most likely cause.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Stat is why it takes a long time to warm up, but extremely unlikely to be the cause of the over heating. Check that the slow speed fan is working as a first step. That is the most likely cause.
Thanks for that. What's the best way to check this?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Check the fan comes on when the AC is on.

The problem is usually the resistor in the fan pack going and back in the day people installed workarounds because the fan packs were expensive. But less so nowadays with aftermarket ones, so you're best just sticking a new fan pack in. Means bumper off though.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Nice to hear from you again M8E 😁 Hope you are well!
As ever, you're still sorting out our cooked toys 👍

Reactions: mty12345

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Ok so taking a systematic and methodical approach. I saw sat in traffic again today and it's starting creeping up. I switched on the AC and within seconds went back to 90. Is that the resistors or fan pack or whatever.. can someone send me links to purchase aftermarket and a vid to sort it myself?

Thank you

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Sorry I am proper thick and wanna deal with this once and for all with minimal effort. Where can I get a fan pack from? Or can I change the resistor, what's the easiest and cheapest option ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Ok so taking a systematic and methodical approach. I saw sat in traffic again today and it's starting creeping up. I switched on the AC and within seconds went back to 90. Is that the resistors or fan pack or whatever.. can someone send me links to purchase aftermarket and a vid to sort it myself?

Thank you
That doesn't really pinpoint the problem enough, it probably just reduced the engine temp because heat is being bled into the passenger cabin. Having the heater on full is probably enough to stop it overheating in this weather, but once it gets hotter weather it will become worse.

You really need to test the fans by jumping the connectors on that triangle plug as shown in the video. You dont even need to put terminals on the wire, just use a thick piece of wire and touch it firmly to the pins. You can probably test it in 10 mins, whereas replacing the fans is a much longer process

The resistors are built into the fans, but there is also a fan control box that comes into play, that's why you need to test at that plug, as that removes the fan control box from the equasion, and you are then purely testing the fans and resistors.

Hope that makes sense, and if the fans do need replacing, then they were availible from eurocarparts and autodoc last time i looked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
That doesn't really pinpoint the problem enough, it probably just reduced the engine temp because heat is being bled into the passenger cabin. Having the heater on full is probably enough to stop it overheating in this weather, but once it gets hotter weather it will become worse.

You really need to test the fans by jumping the connectors on that triangle plug as shown in the video. You dont even need to put terminals on the wire, just use a thick piece of wire and touch it firmly to the pins. You can probably test it in 10 mins, whereas replacing the fans is a much longer process

The resistors are built into the fans, but there is also a fan control box that comes into play, that's why you need to test at that plug, as that removes the fan control box from the equasion, and you are then purely testing the fans and resistors.

Hope that makes sense, and if the fans do need replacing, then they were availible from eurocarparts and autodoc last time i looked.
Thank you

Reactions: mty12345

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thank you
No worries, i have a scrap one on ths drive so i took a pic of the plug for you, its on the passenger side of the radiator, half way up at the back! Obviously watch your fingers in the fans when testing. i'm pretty sure one of the speeds can be activated with the igntion off.

Attachments

• plug.png
    plug.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 27

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
No worries, i have a scrap one on ths drive so i took a pic of the plug for you, its on the passenger side of the radiator, half way up at the back! Obviously watch your fingers in the fans when testing. i'm pretty sure one of the speeds can be activated with the igntion off.
Thank you so so much.. I'm gonna look at this and feedback

Reactions: BadBoy03
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.