Gearbox end cap

Jay sx

Oct 9, 2016
Hi All, I have a stage two 2007 cupra I brought about 10 months ago. I recently have done my second oil change and have noticed oil leaking from the gearbox end cap cover. Just ordered a new cap and some mtf. A search has revealed that some of you have replaced this cap but I was wondering how you did it. Is it a case of gently tapping it with a screw driver and mallet ? Any help would be appreciated.

Jay sx

Oct 9, 2016
It looks like black plastic and when I tap it, it does sound like plastic. I have not received the part I order yet, most searches turn up this part number 02M301211B . I didn't realise there was two sorts. There does seem to be bubbling on it as if something has started to rust behind the coating.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Number #4 in the diagram below is the gearbox input shaft end cap on a SEAT Leon Mk2 manual 02Q gearbox. If you have a metal end cap then it will be additionally held in with a circlip (#3). If you have a plastic one it will just be pressed in without a circlip...

izq1wl.jpg

To remove a metal one you need remove the circlip, then puncture it with something (i.e. a screwdriver) and hook it out. VAG has a special tool to extract it as shown below but you can just lever it out as long as you are careful not to damage/score the gearbox housing where the cap creates a seal against it...

r2rkuh.jpg

1jux07.jpg

To remove a platic one you need remove all the lugs being careful not to damage/score the gearbox housing where the cap creates a seal against it, then carefully just lever it out...

149u2t.jpg

20i9u7t.jpg

To fit either type of end cap, VAG have special tools that is used to press/tap the new cap back in but you can improvise with something as long as you end up pushing it in evenly all round the edge. Just use a piece of wood and a mallet to keep tapping it all around the edges in a circular motion to slowly ease it in. Then for a metal end cap, finally refit the circlip.

For reference, this is the special VAG tool for fitting a metal end cap...

2uj2ezt.jpg

And this is the special VAG tool for fitting a plastic end cap...

289vhpu.jpg

Last edited:

Jay sx

Oct 9, 2016
Wow, very in depth reply, thanks. I actually found a video on one of the vw dub sites but cannot post the link. It is the press in seal, its actually made of metal ( seems like cheap tin ) but coated in rubber/plastic which forms the seal. I did as you said and gently pried it out with a screw driver. Rubbed a bit of sealer around the new one and tapped it in with a block of wood. Waiting for some fuch gearbox oil to turn up before i test for leaks. Cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.