UltraXenon Bulbs - any good?

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Hi

I've done a search and people seem to be going on about phillips bulbs

Just popped to Motorworld to get a new bulb for the mrs 206, and they have a good offer on blubs

I got ultraXenon bulbs for £15.99 from £25.99
they have this deal on all performance bubls at the moment

The guy reckons they will fit my LCR too.
So i was thinking of giving her mine and putting in the UltraXenons

So my questions are:
What are these bulbs like? is it worth the upgrade?
Is there one type of bulb out there that is amazing (not xenon) and how much will it cost for 2

Cheers
Mark

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Just been on powerbulb.com and they seem to be harping on about
PowerPlus H7 - they got a buy one get one free deal on at the mo for £29 delivered (4 bulbs)

So, are the ultraxenon's better or worse than these? if so by how much?
Also, anyone tried both powerblue and powerplus ?

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
I had Osram silverstars and they were goooood but i have now swapped to HIDs and you can't compare them. Save up for HIDs rather than spending money on bulbs as the technology unfortunately has hit its limits.

The Phillip equivilant bulbs are good too

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
thanks mate

Aren't the HID bulbs illegal? if not then i might be intrested, how much?
I read there is a kit for £700 which is legal.

I've looked on powerbulbs.com for the philips ones but not sure which ones i need? are they the GT150's ?

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Its a bit of a grey area tbh and has been discussed numerous times. Several people on here have contacted the DfT and been told conflicting information about if their ok or not.

A maintained set i.e. lenses cleaned regularly and properly adjusted shouldn't cause any issues

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product...eHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=92

Their the phillips ones

thanks mate

So i'll notice a big difference with phillips then?
I read somewhere the HID conversion was between 70-100
is that true

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
hi

i fitted some upgrade bulbs from ,autobulbsdirect.co.uk
they were £8 inc p&p they look great not sure what make they were but every one thinks there real, hid!

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
HIDs should have washer jets but lets be honest you would have to be pretty unlucky to get pulled over by a clued up copper who noticed! I haven't heard of anybody failing an MOT yet either because of HIDs. What's the worst that could happen - you have to put your standard headlamps back in!!!! As the HID kits are generic then you can just sell them! Doubt you would be pulled though and if you were consider yourself extremely unlucky and a minority. I have heard of some HID kits failing so do your research and buy a reliable make. I've been thinking about this mod for a while now but now I've got to replace a broken headlamp I'm going to buy some HIDs on payday...Upgraded bulbs can be an improvement but might as well but the £35 quid towards some HIDs

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
thanks guys,
I must say you got me intrested in HID's now

So 10 points to those who can answer the following

1. How much will a decent kit cost
B. Do they need cooling
5. Why should they have washer jets?

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
i got a set of HID's from unikarl,not sure if was a GB on SCC but they cost £130,they don't need cooling,are easy to fit and why HID's need washer jets i just dont know mate.
you cant compare them to normal bulbs at all,i rarely use my main beam at all now!
thats not to say i'm blinding everyone,have never been told to 'dip my beam' if u know what i mean lol

Last edited:

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
This extract was taken from www.autobulbsdirect.com:

Are these HID systems road legal?
According to EU legislation HID systems factory fitted from new require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues in terms of the police. However this issue is a grey one with lots of confusion so until we can obtain official written proof either way, we must sell these for off road and display systems only.

Like I said before as this subject is so fuzzy you would be extremely unlucky to be pulled for this. As mentioned above I know you can't sell a new car from the factory with xenons without washer jets but we are talking aftermarket now. From memory I think it is something to do with the fact that lamp need to be clean for xenons to operate correctly...I stand corrected though.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Fitted as OEM the lights need to be self levelling and with washer jets. Aftermarket there is no ruling that states what must be fitted, to pass an MOT all you have to have is the correct lens setting and the lights must work.

There is no way they can pull you over and ticket you because there is no law currently set for aftermarket HID.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Don't see a need to buy short bulbs for the Leon ... 6000k temperature gives the best compromise between looks and light output.

26052006140.jpg

That's an HID light on the left and a 'Xenon' look bulb on the right for comparison.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I don't think he does discoint. but as long as the kit is E approved you should be ok. I can't remember if mine is H7 or not - having a blonde day. If the Leon is H7 then you need an H7 kit though :)

I'll upload a couple of pics to photpbucket of the fitment and pop it on my thread and pm you the link.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.