Installing extra cigarette socket help

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi guys,

After advice from here a few weeks ago regarding hardwiring my Road Angel, I'm going to install a new 12V ciggie socket under the dash.

What I need from you very technical people, are the details of EXACTLY what I will need.

I'm taking a trip down to maplins later on, can anyone tell me each required component (down to wire to use, connections etc).

I also had a page book marked somewhere on how to remove the dash under the steering column, but I cant find it, can anyone help on that front too ?

Any other tips/advice/doc's to read etc greatly received.

Thanks

Chris

matt-doyle

I did this the other week. I bought a cigarette lighter extension lead (plug and socket) i then chopped the plug off and unscrewed the end off the socket to check the polarity. (The wire connected to the middle should be the 12v and the one on the outside is ground). I then wired it up using crimp on ring connectors to the switched ignition live terminal under the dash and grounded the other wire on the grounding point in front of the pedals (large brown cable connects to it). Really easy job... took about 20 mins.

If you do it this way you'll need:
ring connectors (you can buy a box of them from halfords)
cigarette lighter extension lead (from most shops)

the cigarette lighter plug for your road angel will already be fused so you don't have to worry about that.

matt-doyle

I did this the other week. I bought a cigarette lighter extension lead (plug and socket) i then chopped the plug off and unscrewed the end off the socket to check the polarity. (The wire connected to the middle should be the 12v and the one on the outside is ground). I then wired it up using crimp on ring connectors to the switched ignition live terminal under the dash and grounded the other wire on the grounding point in front of the pedals (large brown cable connects to it). Really easy job... took about 20 mins.

If you do it this way you'll need:
ring connectors (you can buy a box of them from halfords)
cigarette lighter extension lead (from most shops)

the cigarette lighter plug for your road angel will already be fused so you don't have to worry about that.

to remove dash panel: http://www.icecavern.com/howtos/leonlowerdashtrim/main.php

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Cheers for that Matt - I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what type of wiring do I need ? Is it all pretty much the same ?

Thanks

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Just been thinking, would it be possible to wire up a 4 way socket extension to the switched supply in the car, to hardwire more than 1 thing (i.e. Road Angel, Sat Nav etc) ?

L94aw.jpg

Just been thinking, would it be possible to wire up a 4 way socket extension to the switched supply in the car, to hardwire more than 1 thing (i.e. Road Angel, Sat Nav etc) ?

L94aw.jpg

I've got a 2 way one of those for my laser detector and sat nav....not got around to fitting yet but thought I'd attach it under the dash somewhere discrete and just run the other connectors to it.....that way at least everything is easily dis-connectable if I ever change car.....

matt-doyle

Cheers for that Matt - I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what type of wiring do I need ? Is it all pretty much the same ?

Thanks

It won't draw much current, not like an amplifier would.
If you do what I did and buy an extension lead. The wire is already on the socket, you just chop off the plug and bare the ends.

matt-doyle

L94aw.jpg

yes, just chop plug off and wire it in. dead easy!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Sound.

As you stated above, one of the wires is the 12V & one is for the ground. I take it these 2 wires are both within the plastic sheath ? Did you just strip them & connect as necessary ?

If so, are the colours different & extinguishable ?

Plus what size ring connectors ?

Sorry for all the Q's - just dont want to fcuk anything up !!!

Thanks in advance - will be popping down to Maplins in a few hours :)

Last edited:

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
I did this on my elise, bought a double (chav) one as cheaper than the single one from Halfrauds. Yes it does look a bit naff (lights up) but is hidden behind dash so does not matter.

Anyway, I conectd it to harness for hifi therefore switched!

Should work same on Leon?

matt-doyle

Sound.

As you stated above, one of the wires is the 12V & one is for the ground. I take it these 2 wires are both within the plastic sheath ? Did you just strip them & connect as necessary ?

If so, are the colours different & extinguishable ?

Plus what size ring connectors ?

Sorry for all the Q's - just dont want to fcuk anything up !!!

Thanks in advance - will be popping down to Maplins in a few hours :)

Yeah you just strip them and put the ring connectors on them.
Don't know the size, i bought a box of assorted sizes and just used what fitted.
The wire on mine was like speaker cable, two wires side by side, I just traced each one back up to the socket to work out which one was which.

matt-doyle

if you can't open the socket to work out which wire is which, use a multimeter and check continuity between the connections in the socket and each wire. The centre of the socket should go to the 12v feed. The outside should go to the car body.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Thanks mate - I'm gong to get the 4 way adapter as in the pic above, it will come in useful for the furture !!

I'm hardwiring my Road Angel & Sat Nav in - but I'm getting a parrot bluetooth car kit soon too, so might as well do it all in one go.

Thanks for the help - will probably be back when doing it lol

Chris

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi guys,

Just fitting this now, to my surprise, I just tested it & it works like a dream !!!

Now, where the hell can I mount it ?? Can't seem to see a decent place ?

Any ideas?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the lower dash trim?

don't force it - the bolts sheer so easily... balance it on your knees & line up the holes one at a time

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi Mork - finally did it, what a b@stard though lol

Managed to locate the 4 in 1 12V supplies on the underside of the dach in the little cubby hole on the left (had to cut away a few bits of plastic, but looks good now).

Managed to line up every hole apart from the 2nd in from the centre console (I think this is due to the location of the 12V box) - but all in all, well worthwhile * looking good :)

Big thanks to Matt as well :) - nice one mate

Just had it washed & doing the rear lettering now..........

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.