cupra tdi with revo or similar?

lexie

i was wondering if someone could help me with something i've been thinking about. i'm planning to get a leon when it's insurance renewal time, and thought it would be a straight decision between a petrol cupra or cupra r. but since i joined this forum i've been confused with talk of remapped cupra tdi's :cry:

basically i've had a look through a load of old posts but haven't really found enough to make my mind up. the fuel economy and heap of torque on offer from the derv is appealling but so is the 'fun factor' of the petrol turbo engine even with it's thirst for fuel.

any diesel's i've driven before have been pretty sluggish to begin with and then the power is only there for a short period of time which frustrated me a bit tbh. does a remap do anything to broaden the power delivery in a diesel cupra or is it still short lived like every other diesel i've driven?

cheers keith

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Shorter than the petrol, red lines about 5k....................but what FUN :D

I love mine so much & wouldn't change it for the world..............

Where are you based ?

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Faster than most things on the road, but I can still achieve this on a small 20 mile run, cruising at 80-90 on a private runway

mpgub9.jpg

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
PS - torque is also a lot more on the diesel

Are you sure about that? ;) The torque from a standard 150 TDi isn't a great deal more than a standard LCR. And when remapped, they are both hovering around the 300ish area.

But the difference is the bhp and the rev range, both of which are greater on the petrol powered LCR.

A remapped TDi is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong. It's more than quick enough for most people, can keep pace with a standard LCR and still delivers excellent MPG.

But apply that same remap to an LCR and you have superb performance on a car that you can really drive using a long rev range and working the gears like any other car.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Are you sure about that? ;) The torque from a standard 150 TDi isn't a great deal more than a standard LCR. And when remapped, they are both hovering around the 300ish area.

But the difference is the bhp and the rev range, both of which are greater on the petrol powered LCR.

A remapped TDi is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong. It's more than quick enough for most people, can keep pace with a standard LCR and still delivers excellent MPG.

But apply that same remap to an LCR and you have superb performance on a car that you can really drive using a long rev range and working the gears like any other car.
Agreed. Unless you start adding extra's to the TDI you not going to get near a remapped LCR. I am talking about new turbo, injectors etc...

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Freewheelin said:
I get approx 40 mpg driving at 85-95 mph (standard Cupra TDI) on one of these private runway thingies....only time I see over 50 mpg is dawdling along at 70-75 mph

You got a remap ? I see more power in 6th so I dont need to down gear when on the motorway

StuRS

This is the same problem I am having, choosing between the two. The fact that road tax is cheaper on the tdi and more mpg is tempting.

I drove my first Cupra R from a non SEAT dealer at the weekend and loved it (will put this in a new post), but the SEAT dealer wouldnt let me test drive a tdi as I wasnt interested in that exact car (wrong clolour) :confused: . That would explain why there showroom has been empty of customers for 2 weekends running, if I cant test drive one how do I know which one I would like them to try and source for me :shrug:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Sometimes i get bored on seeing threads like this...
Sorry Lexie but there is plenty of info on the forum about this, and if you read it all, your find all the Cupra R owners stand by the LCR and all the TDI owners stand by the TDI's...

End of it all...

You do low mileage get a Cupra R.

If you do high mileage get a TDI FR.

Very easy to decide as the arguement is a big see saw, one has something the other doesnt... e.g. MPG and the rev range... better seats, more comfortable ride qaulity...

Sorry if this has offended anyone, not meant too.. but I truely am bored of readin ghtis posts on which one i should get... i understand to a point but its simple if you look at it... so answer the above and buy that one.. and you wont regret it, EITHER of them!

End of rant...

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Slick, you're entirely right and I am very aware that my name crops up on these sort of threads a lot. But what bugs me isn't the 'which should I buy' questions that keep cropping up, it's the fact that inaccurate facts are posted by people in defence of their cars.

If people come onto this forum asking for advice, it's usually fair to assume it's because they don't know the specific facts about what they are asking. So when somebody posts things which aren't 100% true or accurate, I think it's right to point that out and post the true facts.

Of course, the sensible thing to do would be search before posting a thread like this. I guarantee that searching for 'Cupra TDi' or 'FR TDi' would bring up a massive load of results about the car in question. Heck, there is even a dedicated diesel section full of good info!

But whilst people carry on asking the same questions... and people carry on giving false information... other people - me included - will carry on with these discussions.

The one thing I do try and do, above all else, is ensure I post facts and not opinions made out to be facts.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Slick, you're entirely right and I am very aware that my name crops up on these sort of threads a lot. But what bugs me isn't the 'which should I buy' questions that keep cropping up, it's the fact that inaccurate facts are posted by people in defence of their cars.

If people come onto this forum asking for advice, it's usually fair to assume it's because they don't know the specific facts about what they are asking. So when somebody posts things which aren't 100% true or accurate, I think it's right to point that out and post the true facts.

Of course, the sensible thing to do would be search before posting a thread like this. I guarantee that searching for 'Cupra TDi' or 'FR TDi' would bring up a massive load of results about the car in question. Heck, there is even a dedicated diesel section full of good info!

But whilst people carry on asking the same questions... and people carry on giving false information... other people - me included - will carry on with these discussions.

The one thing I do try and do, above all else, is ensure I post facts and not opinions made out to be facts.

I agree Rob, i understand from where your coming on the fact people put up there Opinions and not Facts, but then sometimes the newbie has asked people opinions on the cars and not facts, hence the opinions are raised and hence, me and you alike post straight up to correect or support the opinions with facts about the cars.

I think the main concern for anyone out there to buying a FR or Cupra R, is one, they have come to this forum asking the questions and "normally" the majority percentage of those are people are those who like to modify or at least like to tinkle with there cars.... so when you think of buying a car they are asking whats available for modifing it, this in turn opens a can of worms as the whole arguement of modded against standard?! The only defence i have to this, i found two dealers willing to remap a TDI from brand new as the deal, but none that would do that with the Cupra R.

And finally two is that, really why in the hell are we comparing two different models in different fuel types, you dont see half as many posts saying FR petrol and a Cupra R comparsion.. which to me, makes me think, the reason that Dervs are raised against a Cupra R, is the techonogly has brought the dervs into the limelight...and personally if your comparing a Cupra R and a Derv then you should buy the Derv, becuase if you are thinking about a Derv in any certain terms it means that your trying to save money somehow or do alot of miles.... two things you aint gonna get with a Cupra R, as basically your comparing a top of the model range car against a 2nd model range car... unfair in my eyes.

Also to touch on the fact that, sometimes, some Cupra R owners and also TDI owners dont know all the FACTs about the opposite cars, as they havent owned them, and this can lead to "missunderstandings" un needed, becuase Cupra R and FR TDI owners feel there cars are being attacked becuase of it... which is unneccessary.. no one is attacking cars they are just giving a fair opinon, facts or not...

I think only people that should be able to post is people that have owned both... but not many of them...

Ok i'll better shut up now.. but i needed to get that off my chest... sorry for hijacking your post lexie... hope you find resolution on which Leon to get, either way you will end up with a fantastic car....

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Sorry Lexie but there is plenty of info on the forum about this, and if you read it all, your find all the Cupra R owners stand by the LCR and all the TDI owners stand by the TDI's...

End of it all...

Very easy to decide as the arguement is a big see saw, one has something the other doesnt... e.g. MPG and the rev range... better seats, more comfortable ride qaulity...

Sorry if this has offended anyone, not meant too.. but I truely am bored of readin ghtis posts on which one i should get... i understand to a point but its simple if you look at it... so answer the above and buy that one.. and you wont regret it, EITHER of them!

End of rant...
I am offended you better apologise!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I agree, I really do. And you're spot on about the fact that improvements in technology and engineering have made the TDi options a tempting performance car as well as an economical cruiser.

As I've said before, I looked at the TDi when shopping for cars. Not because I needed good fuel economy, but because I though if the performance was the same, why spend more money to get it? Nobody wants to spend more money on fuel and no LCR owner would be upset if suddenly their car started doing 40MPG!

But in the end it came down to personal preference. I was lucky as my mileage doesn't mean I have to worry about fuel economy too much. It's an issue, for sure, and anything worse than the LCR is a definite no-no. But the LCR was fine and that allowed me to chose the car I personally felt was better for me.

But I did this knowing the facts. I had driven each car, I knew the facts, figures and potential - in terms of mods - and I made my decision based upon that.

There is only so much you can find out through a forum... you really need to drive standard examples of both or else you'll never be able to make up your mind.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I am offended you better apologise!

LOL Maz, i own a TDI and never look back, it wasnt meant to offend anyone, its just the pure times i seem to write or read these posts and see the same info posted up, and then the attacking, and ohhhh no its not panto answer start up between the Cupra R and TDi owners...

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester

End of it all...

End of rant...

What would you consider to be high millage? I do about 290ish miles a week in my LCR, would you consider that high?