LCR problem with condensation in front lights

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Hey all

I wondered whther anyone else has had this problem. I only picked the LCR up on Saturday and with all the rain we have had, when I got out of the car I noticed both front lights had completely misted over with condensation.

Does anyone know how to fix this and whether it could be a warranty claim as its a 55 plate LCR?

Typical I noticed this on the second day of driving it!:cry:

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Units arent sealed so this will happen. Although mine have never gone completely misted.

Should dry up fairly quickly though.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
VERY common problem, I have this in one of my headlight units, do a search and you should find some more info. I'm not sure if its a warranty claim because mine is not under warranty but a mate of mine has worked in the motor trade all his life and he reckons drilling a small hole in the casing at the bottom/front (where you wouldnt be able to see it) would sort the issue. I have to say it doesnt bother me enough to try it though!

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Cheers all

I just called the garage and they said the same as you, very common fault. Not the end of the world so will just live with it for now.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Remove one indicator from the end of the light, remove the main beam bulb and cover from the other side of the light and pop a hairdryer in on half power. watch you don't melt stuff, will dry out in about ten minutes. I now have some dessicant silica gel packs tucked into the headlight covers and all is fine :) FWIW, the aftermarket lights do it too :)

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
This might sound daft but, check all the light fittings round the back of the unit.

I took mine into a dealer (told later it wasn't covered) then couldn't fix it.

However a few days ago I swapped all the bulbs to bright white ones (bit chav I know) the indicator wasn't in tight. Well It's been fine since. Even tested it though a car wash. Normally it would look like the smurfs had a shower in it but not anymore :)

Sounds simple but you never know!!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Every car I've ever owned has done this! Damn annoying, but nothing a few minutes of full and main beam doesn't cure ;)

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I had this happen when I replaced the indicator bulbs......only I hadn't fitted one of the bulb holders back correctly and as such the driver side headlight unit fogged up with condensation. All I did was to remove the bulb holders , apply some slicone grease around the o-rings and replace correctly :redface:. Hope this helps

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Cheers - I will check the fitting tonight. Hopefully can sort this out. I saw it for the first time on Saturday and thought this is not good, but at least its a common fault and not exactly a major one!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
As people have said, seems to be a common fault. My 55 plate LCR lights fog up, and my 05 plate FR lights fogged up too. Seen a few others in car parks fogged up as well, not just Leon's but Mk4 Ibiza's too.