New VW MFD3 Satnav/DVD player/headunit Fitted

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Hey guys.

VW have recently brought out a new headunit, which is available in a few VW models so far.
This unit is streets ahead of the current Sat-Nav unit 'MFD2'(as fitted in Seats). luckily the VW colours (RED) are the same as the Seat illuminations.

Some of the features:
3D satnav mapping (loaded on hard drive) All of western Europe with POI's.
Fantastic quality Touch screen display.
DVD player
30GB hard drive
SD Card reader
Audio playback of MP3 and WMA formats
Traffic updates.
works with CD changer AND AUX input :)

More pictures here: http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/s/4011

Got one of these off ebay and fitted it in the Leon. Decided to purchase this over a different aftermerket brand due to the OEM look.

fitting is simple. Its a straight swap from the current Headunit basically. The fascia surround is the same ne as for the MFD2 (seat sat-nav).
Had to cut out a bit behind the unit as the antenna plugs protude quite a bit from the unit so wouldnt quite fit in properly. The third picture shows a yellow circle where I had to cut a bit out.

The way I routed the GPS antenna:
Through the back of the unit then upto where the instrument cluster is.
Then behind the instrument cluster. had to take the front of the dash off and the instrument cluster off.
Then round where the fuse panel is.
Then up the A pillar, then across the edge of the lining.
And the antenna unit is sitting on the the inside of the windscreen, just infront of the rear view mirror. this cannot really be seen inside or outside.
The only downside is that on the steering wheel controls, only volume and mute is functional.

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Visit http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139255 for a satnav fitting guide

UPDATE:

Just a couple of updates from my unit.

If you have the MFD display on the dash, the clock will be shifted to the right, cutting off the minutes.
Apparently this is typical if you use a non-seat Satnav unit in a Seat. This happens on mine.

Postcode search is very poor, plus you cant enter the full postcode.

When playing CD's it seems to leave a small gap between tracks, so if you listen to dance CD mines like me, there is an annoying short pause between tracks.

Only the volume controls work on the steering will, this may just be a MY2006 thing not sure.
When in Navigation mode or audio mode on the MFD, I indicator stlaks wont let me get out of those modes, i have to turn the unit off and go back to the MFD main menu. Again, this might be just a MY2006 thing, but cant confirm.

My unit freezes for a few seconds occasionally on a long journey, or might stop playing a CD, this maybe becuase my unit has a very early firmware version.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Dan that looks amazing....top marks but I bet it wasnt cheap!

Edit is there any other units that work? ie have red lights and not the skoda green or VW blue

Last edited:

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Looks awesome... Definately something I plan to do in the future... Presumably you can play music through the SD player?

Chris

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Looks awesome... Definately something I plan to do in the future... Presumably you can play music through the SD player?

Chris

Yeah you can play tracks straight from the SD card or load them onto the HDD from the SD card.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
bluetooth works?

If you look closely Dan doesn't have the Seat optional bluetooth, probably won't able to answer, although I'd like to know the answer as well.

Ive actually retrofitted the bluetooth option, and yes, the Headunit mutes etc when when a call or receiving.

if i've read it right in the touran specs is that unit touchscreen ?

Yes, as it says above, its got a touch screen :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.