Front Wheel Bearings Hard to do?

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
depending how bad it is mate, it could have damaged the hub, in which case youll need a new / second hand hub... but most places (scrappers) will only sell you the assembly with uprights etc..., then its a case of just unbolt and bolt back on...

you need a press ideally if you are just replacing the bearing or a hammer and strategically placed knocks will get the bearing in.

Might be best offering it to a garage... the drive shaft bolt is uuubbbeeerrr tight and youll struggle to get it off without a doubt

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
When I did mine I had access to a press and a mate who's rather handy with a spanner.

You'll probably find the following:

-Hub nut (driveshaft bolt) is pretty tight, but a breaker bar and some foul language should see you through.

-Steering tie rod bolts (on the underside) will probably not unbolt and need to be angle-grinded off and replaced

-Hub and upright may (or may not) be damaged, you will only be able to tell once it's all off. New hubs are about 40 quid from GSF if I remember. Second hand uprights are easy to come by.

I would say why not give it a go if you're confident. You can always take the upright assembly (upright, hub and bearing) to a garage to replace the bearing, which should save you some dosh and will make sure the bearing is in properly without damage.

Your camber and tracking will most likley be wonky when you put it all together again though.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
They'res no other way than pressing the front bearings in or out.

Best bet is to take the hub off yourself and take it to a garage and give them a drink.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.