Broken Coil Spring

pishtail

Hi Guys

My wife reversed off of the drive today and didn't drive any further after hearing a DOING! from the driver's side front.

After her knight in shining armour(ie my Dad!) removed the front wheel
he found about half a coil (3 inches) sitting in the bottom cup.

I have all ready ordered a pair from German & Swedish

Has anybody changed these themself?.

I am also going to borrow a spring compressor.

Cheers Pishtail

MDS

Marco
Dec 10, 2006
I never changed one myself, apparently some sort of clamp is needed to fit the new coil instide the old casing...

Maybe get som e professional help so you dont **** things up... by mistake of course

Good Luck

Its a simple job if you know what your doing just a couple of axle stands and spring compression tools i would seek some help if your not sure and its a bit of a bitch to explain you need help first hand! An answer to the problem itself is its a very inherent and common fault in Mk 4 Golfs, Audi TT's, S3's, Leons when they get roughly around 50.000 and more miles but like all faults its hit or miss if you are unfortunate enough to come across a problem! also be careful when purchasing parts from GSF the parts they sell are more often than not cheap taiwany jap copys and not standard oem parts, Try eurocarparts.co.uk

Jim

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
This happened to me when moving my Leon about 20 yards onto the drive.

What a pain it turned out trying to get a replacement spring for a Cupra!!

Eurocarparts don't do one for sports suspension (i.e. Cupra), German&Swedish never got back, another company could do a pair for £70 delivered but a 2 week lead time changed to a 4 week lead time as they needed to be manufactured and I can't risk running my car for that long, even the breakers yards didn't have a spring that matched the same rating (dot system) as on my car.

In the end it was a painful transaction at the dealers to the tune of £63. They told me that there are over 30 combinations of springs for my type of vehicle. At least I can be sure that it is the correct part. Now I just need to fit it.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Quite a simple process really, but as said, hard to explain!!!! and some sort of compression will be needed, either dare i say it, ratchet straps (brand new ones) or proper spring compressors.

Compress Spring
Undo bottom bolt towards the rear of the shock
Undo first top bolt, take of bits and pieces,
Now the tricky part, trying to get the shock out of the "cup" involved downward pressure on the discs and upwards pressure via the use of a hammer!!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168813

Make sure you use WD40 the night before just to ease things up as much as possible.

Obivously there will be slight variations on this,

Jimski