Simple first mods - what a difference!

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Firstly... Thanks to everyone that posts on SCN because without this site I would of probably fubar'd my mota.

About three weeks back I placed two orders, the first with Forge for a 007P DV (arrived next day) and the other with Green Cotton for a panel filter (3 weeks to arrive [:@])

The DV arrived on a Monday and I waited all week to fit it cause I was hoping the air filter would arrive so I could carry out the mods together - it didn't! So I did the only thing I could, I fitted the DV...

yrlczw.jpg

This really is a simple mod and only took 15 minutes, most of that time is taken up snapping off the crappy VW jublie clips! I started the car and let it tick over for a few minutes before going for a spin. Straight away I could feel the car was smoother, but there was no feeling of more power or any noise from the DV. To be honest when I got back I was gutted. :(

Sensing my disappointment the wife said suggested that I should "try doing that smoothing airbox thing - at least that way your be ready for the other thing". Cracking idea - so I took it off the mota came straight back in and started hacking at it on the front room floor. :doh: The un-impressed glances soon disappeared and even turned into a semi interested responses when I asked what she thought of my handy work (oh and of course there was the make sure you clear the mess up speach).

yrlczz.jpg

It was to dark to go back out and fit the airbox back on so I'd have to wait. By 8am Sunday morning the airbox was back on and I went out for another spin. Again I came back a little disappointed that there was still no performance gain and not even the sound of a 'w' let alone a 'whoosh'!

Yesterday the air filter finally arrived from Green and so I stuck it in lunchtime ready for the drive home. Came out of work, jumped in the car and pull out of the car park...

Fook me - was that the DV? Ok, keep cool let the car warm up. Come on temp gauge, come on... Yes! Nail it! Grab for 3rd 'whoosh', 4th 'whoosh', 5th 'whoosh'!

I was so busy listening to the DV that I didn't hear the sucking induction sound from the green filter or notice how fast the car had picked up speed.

Since last night I have clocked up 100 miles and I have to say that the air filter has made a noticable difference to the pick up and the car is pulling harder.

The three mods combined have transformed the car from slightly jerky with a couple of flat spots to a smooth and stonger pull up the revs with a nice little 'whoosh' when coming of the throttle.

Worth while mods - oh yes (just do them at the same time for a better...) :D

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
good writte up mate, just you wait until you've had it remapped with more boost........... you'll really hear the DV then! :D

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I should be looking at fitting a 007p and panel filter soon :) I haven't had a look in the air box, how much did you have to cut out? I can't quite make it out from your photo... it looks like you've had to chisel out all the bits which make up a cross pattern, correct?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
QUOTE=si-mate;1744938]Or tell her she can help with yours if you can help with hers :D[/QUOTE]

:yes:

my airbox isnt smoothed... im getting dv noise though the green filter .

im wondering if smoothing will make it louder...

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
karlosR - Thanks mate glad you liked it.

OFI - yeah thats right chopped this in from one of my other threads:
For anyone who is going to mod the airbox I would advise getting a decent pair of cutters/snips and with a bit trail and error you'll find cutting the ridges out easy. I found cutting vertical next to a cross section and then at an angle of 45 degrees every 5mm best (most bits just flicked off). Used a dremel type sander to get the left over bits off and then smoothed with 600 grit wet and dry. Plus wear goggles/glasses cause a few bits flick up at ya!

When you start the mod it looks a mess and I almost gave up several times - but 3hrs later it was done and looks pukka.

si-mate - Yep, you should of seen the crap all over the carpet before I cleaned up.

traumapat - it might but a few small holes in the side next to the wing would probably help, just not sure if I've got time to try it out this weekend. I also thought her suggesting it was cool!

and for the secondary slant on this thread lads - her box is smoother!!!! :p (enough said now get the thread back on track!)

Last edited:

caveo

A 3" cold air feed will also do some good( ps nice to see another local boy )

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I drilled all over the bottom half of the airbox, i got a bit carried away and did about 40 x 10mm noles but it makes a good noise :D

I should be at the AmD rolling road day so you can ave a look if you can wait that long

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Why drill holes, only to let warm air into a sealed box?

And why smooth the box, surely a baffled/ridges/whatever upsets the air flow.?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Why drill holes, only to let warm air into a sealed box?

And why smooth the box, surely a baffled/ridges/whatever upsets the air flow.?

drill em to the outside for fresher air

smoother to let more volume in and faster (minimal admittedly) and let the filter above it mix it all up ;)

you dont see ridges in the air intake above a F1 drivers head do ya ?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Yes drilling will let some hot air in and its mainly for the induction noise however i did notice a big difference after doing this even when the engine was warm, and it wont get as much hot air as an open cone fillter.
I agree with your thinking with the smoothing but it does work some people on here have done before and after logs and seen big gains.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I drilled all over the bottom half of the airbox, i got a bit carried away and did about 40 x 10mm noles but it makes a good noise :D

I should be at the AmD rolling road day so you can ave a look if you can wait that long
Yup i will be at the AMD RR too...yea look forward to seeing it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise