Simple first mods - what a difference!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
drill em to the outside for fresher air

smoother to let more volume in and faster (minimal admittedly) and let the filter above it mix it all up ;)

you dont see ridges in the air intake above a F1 drivers head do ya ?
That fresher air is still going to be higher than a fully sealed box.
As anyone ever done a temperature test to see the difference before and after?
The AFM can still only take the same amount if it wasn't smoother ;)
Agreed on the F1 :)

Yes drilling will let some hot air in and its mainly for the induction noise however i did notice a big difference after doing this even when the engine was warm, and it wont get as much hot air as an open cone fillter.
I agree with your thinking with the smoothing but it does work some people on here have done before and after logs and seen big gains.
That's cool if people have seen gains, i'm just throwing ideas around to get it right first time when i get mine :)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I am getting some strange boost reading at the moment, before and after drilling the airbox. I have got it booked in at AmD on monday for a service and check so it might be worth waiting till i find out whats going on before anyone else trys this, ill post up on monday night to let you all know

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
D.K glad to see that the drilling holes in the air box worked out for you. I asked you what you thought in another thread I posted a week+ back and you said that it was to early to say for sure.

I'v been able to give it a good test and it was a lot better but as i said i have had a few boost problems recentley and i dont know if they are related.

I do still have an unmodded airbox and i might run both at the AmD rolling road day to compare results

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
A 3" cold air feed will also do some good( ps nice to see another local boy )

Alright mate...

I've got my eye on some ducting for the intake but its 104mm (4") so I need to work out if it will fit into the bottom of the air box. I know I'll hae to move the battery over but that easly done.

The only problem with the ducting is that it is £23 pound per meter and the minimum buy length is 9 meters - I'm hoping to sort out a deal/sample. :whistle: But if it works out I'll be posting up a new thread in the next couple of weeks...

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I'v been able to give it a good test and it was a lot better but as i said i have had a few boost problems recentley and i dont know if they are related.

I do still have an unmodded airbox and i might run both at the AmD rolling road day to compare results

Hope you can cause I would be really interested in finding out if does make a worth while difference. Hopefully your boost issues are something small. Post a new thread it you do mange to run both boxes as other will also be interested.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
You should be ok with 4" but you will need to move the battery.
Try demontweeks for the feed pipe, that price is a bit steep
I got mine for nothing i nicked it of my mates old CIA :whistle:

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Nothing like a freebie.

It costs so much because it is thick rubber with an inner steel wire mesh, quite heavy duty stuff that will hopefully look fairly stock so it blends in with the OE fittings. Can handle temps of -20 > +100. But you are right it is a bit steep

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
GOOD NEWS
My boost problems had nothing to do with the work i had done to the airbox apparentley it was the D/V needed setting up again
So anyone thinking about drilling there airbox do it, it works.
Phwooo i was expecting a big headache

I also had the DOG BONE mount done while it was at AmD today and whot a diffrence the car feels a lot more solid, theres a bit of vibration but it should go soon i hope. Another good budget mod

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Nice one DK. Did you not have a Forge 007 DV when this happened? Or was it the standard one?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
No mate it was the SPLIT-R needed reseting.
I had it mapped just before christmas and it needed resetting after it had all settled down :shrug:

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I drilled all over the bottom half of the airbox, i got a bit carried away and did about 40 x 10mm noles but it makes a good noise :D

I should be at the AmD rolling road day so you can ave a look if you can wait that long

er... wouldn't that make having a filter at all pointless? You have holes.. between the filter and inlet?

Melba Toast

Newbridge - South Wales
It took two months for my green panel filter to come from France! I too smoothed my airbox but a word of warning. I did it with a dremel thing and washed it out so to get all the bits out but there must have been some fine particles I missed because soon after my maf played up. The vag mechanic who checked it said a few particles might have interfered with the maf. Got a new one on warranty anyway.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Having done this a few times I can honestly say that rather than drilling the airbox and tarting round with feeds, if your after a really good noise switch to an open cone filter.

In the middle of summer some will argue you get heatsoak with an open cone, but you can always make a heatshield (Or indeed buy one) and add a feed from the front bumper later.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I'm not really after loads of noise from the DV or induction roar, a little more would be nice. I'm already achieving my main goal of making the car respond better.

slatord

SlatorD
Aug 2, 2006
witham, essex
Im still not sure about this one. Do people recomend gettin a panel filter and smoothing the airbox, or have a decent cold air feed through to a cone induction kit?

Im not to fussed about noise, would like whatever is going to make the car more responsive/power increase. Let me know you thoughts?

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Just change the panel filter and save the money for something else.
Dont bother with smoothing the airbox. Definitely dont bother with induction kit stuff

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Im still not sure about this one. Do people recomend gettin a panel filter and smoothing the airbox, or have a decent cold air feed through to a cone induction kit?

Im not to fussed about noise, would like whatever is going to make the car more responsive/power increase. Let me know you thoughts?

As you can see from this thread that everyones views differ. IMHO...

A cone filter will give the most noise and probably the best performance in cooler conditions.
A CAI gives slightly more noise than a panel filter.
A panel filter is the cheapest option, but probably gives the best value for money gains.
Smoothhing the airbox will create a smoother flow but the gains are probably very small. I think that the few hours spent smoothing the airbox was well spent and it was a cost free mod.

I think that the smooth airbox and panel filter give the best performance gains over standard without having to spend a lot of money.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members