Headlights condesation/dust

JayTse

A Natural Petrolhead....
Dec 4, 2008
Runcorn//Barnsley//Newcastle
i noticed after having 2 seat cars (mk4 ibiza and current mk2 leon) that both suffered from dust getting inside the headlight.. it can be noticed more at night with the headlights on...

but after the cold weather, i noticed that theres some condesation happening on the lower part on both headlights..

has anyone suffered from this at all??

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
This seem s to be quite a common problem. Thankfully I have no problems. They do mist up sometimes when i wash it, but it has always cleared fairly quickly. Have you tried putting a bag of silica gel into the unit overnight to see if it will absorb the moisture? Just a thought:think:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
That is weird..I was speaking to another member of the forum about this tonight. He put some silca gel bags inside his cabin and has said that the windows on his car have not misted up since (I might give that a go) but not heard of putting it in the headlight though. Will remember this if this happens to me.
Alex

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
That is weird..I was speaking to another member of the forum about this tonight. He put some silca gel bags inside his cabin and has said that the windows on his car have not misted up since (I might give that a go) but not heard of putting it in the headlight though. Will remember this if this happens to me.
Alex

That would be me [B)]

Managed to source a load of the stuff so gonna put sum in the boot and backseat... make sure all the moisture is "dried" up :)

micky2oo2

i noticed after having 2 seat cars (mk4 ibiza and current mk2 leon) that both suffered from dust getting inside the headlight.. it can be noticed more at night with the headlights on...

but after the cold weather, i noticed that theres some condesation happening on the lower part on both headlights..

Ive noticed this in the headlights of my leon too. Usually happens after i wash it. Only in the colder weather but.

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
Hello mate, My car is in seat as we speak getting new headlights due to condensation. Just take it back to them if it still under warranty. :D

thestonegate

Dan & Khym

Hi

I've just dropped my K1 into Seat for a total of 3 days for loads of stuff that need doing, but the top of my list is the same, dirty headlight lenses inside (looks crap at night!) and condensation problems too, amongst other things...

Never had any problems with my previous 08 plate Leon FR, diamond car in comparison!

My list - Bonnet not aligned properly, Water on the inside of both front windows, exhaust not sat in the middle, rear boot knocking, dashboard rattling, sideskirts need re-sealing, and needs plugging into Vag Com!

...will the list ever end! LOL :cry:

In return they gave me a BRIGHT ORANGE NEW IBIZA 1.4 SPORT :cry::redface:

The car has never heard of sport LOL, got no gumption at all![:@]

Roll on the day when I collect my K1:D

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Condensation in the headlight is a common issue. Got it on both headlights on our car, one headlight replaced only to find the headlight misted up at the garage, the garage informed me "This is a natural occurance" LOL how can that be as the car is man made :lol:

To be honest is seems to be a design fault but I also own a Corsa and the headlights are completely sealed, guess what no condensation so why Seat aren't the same is anyone's guess :confused:

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
mine didn't steam up until I took the back cover off and drilled big holes in them in order to fit some HIDs. unfortunately, I decided that HID upgrades (without projector headlights) are just ridiculous so got a refund and am now stuck with big ass holes in the covers. . .

but has everyone that is complaining tried using a hairdryer in there?? take the cover off and blast it for a good few minutes, then replace the cover making sure it's on correctly . . . this usually works.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Ive noticed this in the headlights of my leon too. Usually happens after i wash it. Only in the colder weather but.

Same here, usually only evident in the cold weather when washing it.

I wouldnt suggest stripping it down just yet!

See if its still evident in the warmer climes.

If water is getting in that's a different matter

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
mine didn't steam up until I took the back cover off and drilled big holes in them in order to fit some HIDs. unfortunately, I decided that HID upgrades (without projector headlights) are just ridiculous so got a refund and am now stuck with big ass holes in the covers. . .

but has everyone that is complaining tried using a hairdryer in there?? take the cover off and blast it for a good few minutes, then replace the cover making sure it's on correctly . . . this usually works.

easy...go buy new covers...

i sat with a hairdrier for over an hour one day and dried out both headlights... but the covers back on... next day...

alll wet once again.

booked into the dealers on monday. they are filling out a report to suggest new replacements from seat uk. once its approved, i'll have some new ones winging themselves my way.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
easy...go buy new covers...

i sat with a hairdrier for over an hour one day and dried out both headlights... but the covers back on... next day...

alll wet once again.
booked into the dealers on monday. they are filling out a report to suggest new replacements from seat uk. once its approved, i'll have some new ones winging themselves my way.

Had both of mine replaced under warranty and a LOT of hassle from Seat uk [ they have improved the venterlation within the head light assy now, but the main reason is that the air volume is so big that the heat from the lamps is not enough to clear condensation - some upmarket cars now have heaters within the headlight assy!!]

nathan1997

noticed this today after washing my k1, will try the hairdryer first and see if it sorts it out.If not will get straight onto the dealer.

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley
my 1.6 leon has misted right headlight, i only got the car 3 days ago goin straight back to seat for new one thank god for warenty

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
I was speaking to one of our friends the other night who works for VW and he was saying the new lights do indeed has ventilation holes in them now thus condensation will appear on the inside, aparently Ford did this first and then VW followed. Why could they not just leave as is ?

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
my 1.6 leon has misted right headlight, i only got the car 3 days ago goin straight back to seat for new one thank god for warenty

dealer cant simply replace it..

authorisation has to come from seat in spain after your dealer fills in a report.

i'm waiting on the go ahead to get both of mine replaced as goldfish could live in them the state they are in just now [:@]

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga

authorisation has to come from seat in spain after your dealer fills in a report.

i'm waiting on the go ahead to get both of mine replaced as ****fish could live in them the state they are in just now [:@]

Just an update to say Seat have authorised the parts to be replaced.

Get them fitted next weekend .:funk:

leon_lib

seat leon FTW
Dec 22, 2008
burnley

i'm waiting on the go ahead to get both of mine replaced as ****fish could live in them the state they are in just now [:@]

thats stupid im sure a dealer can see wether somthing is faulty, iv got loads of warrenty work needed, both headlights full of water, seal on back window leaking, the heater blows cold just above full hot setting and also its got a lumpy idle . ggggrrrrrrr going to take forever to authorise that lot lol

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise