Headlight stress crack

Nov 16, 2023
Has anyone suffered a headlight stress crack on their Leon mk4? I had a tiny crack in the top edge of my near side headlight and consequently my headlight filled with heavy condensation/water. I had it replaced but warranty don’t want to know. There is no evidence of any damage, stone impact etc. I have contacted customer services but I doubt if I will get anywhere. The new part is ridiculously expensive and It’s a bumper off to replace a headlight and so it’s not a cheap job. Anyway I am not happy!

Nov 16, 2023
Fantastic my wife's car goes back in 3 months so need to get something sorted 👍
You will have to have an argument with customer services as the garage said they didn’t have the authority to do it on warranty- £1100 a side!

Reactions: cjp2k

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Exactly, I had the same, with the dealer agreeing it looks like it was sat to tight with the wing and looks like a stress crack. But if someone has had goodwill, then my chances improve

ruidebraga

May 31, 2023
Hello @scrivens, I hope you don't mind using your topic :)
In May last year I bought a Seat Leon 1.0 TSI FR, from 05/2021, at the official VW/SEAT stand in Braga Portugal.
They gave me an 18 month guarantee.
After 2 months I had a problem with the driver's side DRL.
After some insistence, the dealer replaced the complete headlight under warranty.
Your topic once again made me think about an issue that has been worrying me: LED lighting.
If after a few years, one of the headlights breaks down (I don't know if LED lighting can "fuse" like halogen bulbs), there is no other way to simply change the LED, is there?
Do I have to replace the entire part?
How long does this type of lighting last in our Leon's?
Thanks!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The headlight is sealed, there are no parts you can replace within, but the LED itself should last longer than the car - if designed correctly for heat management etc.

ruidebraga

May 31, 2023
The headlight is sealed, there are no parts you can replace within, but the LED itself should last longer than the car - if designed correctly for heat management etc.

So, the headlights must withstand the life of the car.
Even with daytime running lights?
I assume that the problem I had was an anomaly.

But then if in the future I have another anomaly, I have no other chance than to change the whole set, correct?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So, the headlights must withstand the life of the car.
Even with daytime running lights?
I assume that the problem I had was an anomaly.

But then if in the future I have another anomaly, I have no other chance than to change the whole set, correct?

My current VW has LED headlights and DRL’s and so did my previous car. My car prior to that had LED DRL‘s and Xenon headlamps. I owned each the previous two cars for around 4.5 years from new and my current car I‘ve so far owned for 3.5 years from new and never had a problem with the LED’s - headlights or DRL’s - in any of the three cars.

Whether LED lighting units will last or outlast the life of the car I have no idea; I dare say with any electrical or mechanical components in a car, there will always be a small number of failures. Having said that, I‘m a forum member on five VAG forums and I can’t recall anyone on those forums who have had the LED units in headlamps fail. That’s not to say there haven’t been any though.

If the LED‘s within a headlamp does fail, then I suspect replacement of the entire headlamp unit would be necessary.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I think the failure rate for DRL is quite high after the warranty is over, likely due to a poor thermal design. If you look at the MK3 forum you will see plenty of posts on DRL problems (going yellow I think) and also fogging inside the lenses, not so many problems on the main and dipped LEDs themselves.

I recall reading someone dismantling their headlight and repairing a DRL electronically, but it's not an easy DIY job to even get it apart - the whole set is all you can replace easily.

ruidebraga

May 31, 2023
I think the failure rate for DRL is quite high after the warranty is over, likely due to a poor thermal design. If you look at the MK3 forum you will see plenty of posts on DRL problems (going yellow I think) and also fogging inside the lenses, not so many problems on the main and dipped LEDs themselves.

I recall reading someone dismantling their headlight and repairing a DRL electronically, but it's not an easy DIY job to even get it apart - the whole set is all you can replace easily.

I had problems with the DRL on the driver's side... I had to get a little upset with the dealer so they acepted change the unit..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members