Pics - Tinted Tail Lights

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
Deep Down the Rabbit Hole
Hello guys. i'm new around here and this is my first post. :)
i just wantd to share this with you, i've tinted my tail light with MOTIP spray.
i would love to hear your opinion or advices...
(Sorry for the pics quality, it's a cellphone cam.)

Thanks!

71378292jv8.jpg

54589101so1.jpg

veezee

Power Hungry/Clueless
Jun 10, 2008
London
The thing that first leaps out at me, is whether or not that's even legal? How much is the light transmitted reduced? Granted, it looks quite good with the lights on, but...

RichIbizaSport

Says Bye! x
Apr 29, 2007
Hull
www.facebook.com
Looks great, may very well give this a go on mine. But what exactly is MOTIP spray? Never heard of it! Where did you buy it from? cheers :)

*EDIT* - doh, just looked at your number plate, i assume your not in england lol! anyone know any alternatives that would do the same job?

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
Hi guys, thanks for the comments !
to clear things out, I'm from israel so this is israeli plates.
Motip has a website, check it out, you'll see lots of kinds of sprays.
lot's of people told me that this would only work on a bright color, funny you think it works only on black... :)
nice to hear compliments from people who know & love cars !

don't know if it's legal but so far so good...

jamesy_1820vt

help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how did u take the 2 side lights off i have tryed and cant do it lol :confused:

bertrum

Looks good mate. Nice alternative to the black rear lamps that are only available across seas... Smooth the handle out or paint the 'S' on the boot, will look the nuts [B)]

how did u take the 2 side lights off i have tryed and cant do it lol :confused:

A search would find your answer however... Open boot, two screws on each side, then pull the lamp straight back. Spring clips are what is holding it in. Some people have wrapped a flat blade screwdriver in cloth and levered it out, but I wouldn't :hide:

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
A search would find your answer however... Open boot, two screws on each side, then pull the lamp straight back. Spring clips are what is holding it in. Some people have wrapped a flat blade screwdriver in cloth and levered it out, but I wouldn't :hide:

Correct.
this is the easy part. the hard part was to take off all the plastic panels just to realize i didn't have to do that...:p
i thought there was another screw inside that holds them...

thanks again guys !
by the way we dont have much of after market products for the ibiza MK4 in israel.
that's why i needed to take care of it myself... ;)

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
i know.... here too. :(
i also know it will happen some day, that's why i have a spare set.
if they'll do too much trouble i'll take off the tinting and spray only the inside of the lamp in black. i mean the silver part between the lamps and leave the cover clear.

mark90

Oct 31, 2008
whats d idea of tinting the rear lights?!?!?hope its not appearence??
suppose different strokes for different fokes...im guessin/hoping the majority if people
DO NOT think it looks well?!?!?:banned::rolleyes:[B)]:headhurt:

Apr 27, 2008
i reckon it looks good vendelay. Iv just been on the website you said you got the spray from, could you tell me which one you have used? also have you used anything else to get it that black?

cheers

bertrum

i know.... here too. :(
i also know it will happen some day, that's why i have a spare set.
if they'll do too much trouble i'll take off the tinting and spray only the inside of the lamp in black. i mean the silver part between the lamps and leave the cover clear.

I didn't think you could seperate the rear lights to allow you to spray the silver bit... a sealed unit?

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
i reckon it looks good vendelay. Iv just been on the website you said you got the spray from, could you tell me which one you have used? also have you used anything else to get it that black?

cheers

Thanks, when i'll get home i'll give you the brand name.
i didn't use anything else.
just clean the surface with glasses cloth and some acetone. then let it dry and spray.
the good thing about that spray is that you determine the tinting level.
the more coats youll spray, the darker it will be.
good luck.

I think it looks well tasty but I doubt it's very good for people behind to see you at night.
Do you have night time pics ?

there's no much different before and after the tinting at night.
i'll take some pictures at night and upload them.

I didn't think you could seperate the rear lights to allow you to spray the silver bit... a sealed unit?

i havn't tried it yet...
i think you can heat up the lamp and then the glue melts so you can seperate the glass from the lamp itself and after you paint what you want you can reattach it with some silicon to seal it back.

Ksalmi

Apr 5, 2007
Finland
i havn't tried it yet...
i think you can heat up the lamp and then the glue melts so you can seperate the glass from the lamp itself and after you paint what you want you can reattach it with some silicon to seal it back.

I thought they are welded shut with ultrasonic sound..? so youd need to crack them open, heating wont do anything, and then youd have the problem of how to get them one again.
i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A40qma07jI
A bit smaller one that the one I use to work on at Hella, but work method is similar. At least the saab and volvo rearlights were welded this way.

The tinted lights look awesome anyways:p

Vendelay

Dec 7, 2008
thank you. :)
i didn't quite understand what is the movie you linked here but i didn't mean to crack open the bulb. i ment seperating the clear plastic cover from the lamp itself so you'll have access to the inside. i mean between the different lights.

access to that silver background:
ibiza-rear-lights-chlx03-sl.gif

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.