Ibiza 1.9 130 Sport Information please!

simonp

or8 guys, looking to get a new car in October time and have set on the 1.9 TDi 130 Ibiza :D

Just want some quick information from you, if possible, on the following..

Any common faults?
Best coliovers for the 1.9's that go low and still offer comfort
Remap or the DTUK box?
Can I fit HID's in the standard headlights and what fitment would I need?

Thanks in advance like :)

Si

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
HID's will fit in standard non projector headlights you'll just need to drill a 23mm circular hole in the backplate (which is easier than it sounds)

You need H7 fitments with the anti glare feature.
I think its H7R

DanDiesel

In my diesel is where I'll be, chugging merrily.
Mar 17, 2005
Kent
Common faults:

As with most Polos/Fabias/Ibizas on this chassis...................bushes! ARB, wishbone, etc always cause problems.

On mine, I had a problem where the alternator was not charging the battery which caused the car to die unless the engine was revved over about 2500rpm. Turned out that a little wire had snapped and when the engine revved and the block moved, it would reconnect the wire to an extent causing the alternator to start up and charge the battery!

Also had a rear wheel barring go on mine, oh and both window regulators.

In general, most of the problems are trim/bush related. Engine wise, the PD130 is pretty bombproof! Mine doesn't even use that much oil, hardly any infact!:)

As for coilovers, I'm running FK Konigsports with have the adjustable damping set up. Very useful if you wish to soften/harden the ride. I had mine set to medium all round which was a nice ride indeed, but later changed the front to hard to help with scrubbing issues I had.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
iv got a 04 sport not really had any problems all iv had is

aircon pump (warranty)
boost pipes blowin off
brake light switch not workin

Thats all mine has been back to the dealers for crackin car cant fault it not had any problem with the bushers yet and mine is lowered 80mm on the front and about 100mm on rear aswell as the rear cups out.it is a hard ride theo but dont use it every day. As for remap i went to RS tuning thumbs up from me.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Depends what age and mileage you go for. I've had mine about 8 months (on a 52 plate with 108k on the clock), and literally paid for it again in repairs and maintenance now. It's cost me an arm and too legs, but pretty much a gem now. As said above, the engines seem to be bullet proof, it's just everything else attached to the engine. I've had....

. Famous instrument panel (repaired by me)
. Suspension all round sorted (new mounts, bearings etc)
. Disks and pads all round (and a caliper)
. Tyres
. front bushes, arms and drop links
. ARB bushes
.Intercooler hosing (3 sections)
.engine stabiliser bar
.clutch and DMF (done at JBS, standard replaced)
.gearbox work (done at JBS, syncro's and a gear replaced)
.MAF (this past week)

All in a short time. I know some of it is general maintenance, but it's still cost me a small fortune, thats all I can think of for now.

Last edited:

simonp

Cheers guys

I'll be looking at at 02 - 53 plates with no more than 70k miles really, I only put about 6k on the clock a year!

first up will definitely be either a remap or a DTUK box.

Had a quick browse and seems some people are getting 170+ from a remap?
which is the ideal target I wanted to hit!

Just need to save up a few pennies and shift the 1.poo corsa then get on the hunt!

torquesport

Lets Torque Diesel
Jan 19, 2008
Stone, Staffordshire
Cheers guys

I'll be looking at at 02 - 53 plates with no more than 70k miles really, I only put about 6k on the clock a year!

first up will definitely be either a remap or a DTUK box.

Had a quick browse and seems some people are getting 170+ from a remap?
which is the ideal target I wanted to hit!

Just need to save up a few pennies and shift the 1.poo corsa then get on the hunt!

Yh to get the best out of a remap add a pd160 air intake and a panel filter, you should see around 170bhp and around 290ft torque, Revo and performance torque are the best ive heard

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Cheers guys

If you're only doing about 6k a year why are you looking at the diesel? They are more to buy than the eqivalent petrol model and with that amount of mileage probably wouldn't cost that much less to run.

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe they're considering buying a diesel rather than a petrol because they prefer the power delivery.

That, and at the age the OP is looking at, the cost of a diesel over a petrol isn't *that* much, nor will it depreciate *that* much more (pro-rata), than a petrol equivalent... and in the meantime when they're not looking to drive flat out everywhere they'll have been getting 50+mpg.

simonp

If you're only doing about 6k a year why are you looking at the diesel? They are more to buy than the eqivalent petrol model and with that amount of mileage probably wouldn't cost that much less to run.

Well the 6-10k miles i will be doing each year will mainly be on the motorway from uni and home, and at 19 it's the best car I can really get insured on.

Just want the torque and the mid range power :)

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
i only did 5k in a year last year i walk to work and only really use my car every other day.Clockin up the miles this year theo as been to alot more car shows.

when i was lookin for a new car it was between a yellow mk3 cupra or a red mk4 tdi.

as you can see i went down the dirty diesel ways

pete34a

Jan 9, 2009
I bought an '02 Sport Tdi with 60k in February. I've had the following (quite common) problems:

1. PAS Steering Angle Sensor - caused the PAS pump to draw too much power, making the headlights to flicker and PAS cut out. Older cars have an old sensor type which is prone to failure.
2. New front Anti-Roll Bar and bushes - older cars have ARBs which are prone to failure
3. Front Suspension bushes - replaced with Cupra solid and powerflex items which last longer
4. New key remote
5. Tyres all round (due to perished old tyres)
6. CV boots

Most of these are wear-and-tear issues inevitable with an older car. The suspension in particular is a common issue with that heavy engine to carry around.

All in all it's cost about £800 to sort out, but it drives very nicely now. Saving me a fortune over my old mk3 Cupra!!!

Jul 12, 2009
London
www.flickr.com
Bought a TDi sport back in April, have to say it is supurb (2003 with 70K on clock)

Done 3000 trouble free miles in it, only a couple of common problems:
- Door seal seems to be damaged, thus creating a fair amount of wind noise
- headlight fogs up when rains, got the garage to fix this when i took it in for a service, fixed one, however other one is doing it now...

I'm 20 and at my age it is the best compromise between power, and cheap to run.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members