Leon TDI Cupra 150 EGR fault code.help!

gp200sx

Hi,i was wondering if you guys could give me some much need info.

The story starts like this:-

*On putting a new cambelt on the car around a month ago i noticed a serious amount of built up deposit and sludge in and around the throttle butterfly and egr.

*So last weekend i took off the throttle body/EGR valve to give it a good clean,a lot of crap came out so i cleaned up like new,i only used brake cleaner and a rag.I refitted and off i went.

*Car drove great,went on around a 150 mile journey,stopped at services,went to pull off and the EML came on.

*Plugged vehicle up and came up with the code "EGR system,upper threshold reached.Code-19586.

*Canceled code,no probs,drove around a 60 mile journey,stopped at a tesco,drove off,EML came on again,vehicle was driven very easy(not thrashed etc!)

*Plugged in again,same code.

Does anyone know is my EGR nackered??I never took the egr canister off,only the valve at the inlet manifold!Is there a special way to put back on after removal???or do you guys have any more info or someone had the same problem???

Any info would be great,many thanks:):):)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Firstly the component attatched to the egr valve is the anti-shudder valve which aids smooth engine cut off, not a throttle of any sort. Have you made sure the vac pipes are on correctly, i.e the right way round?
The valve may be stuck completely thus causing this fault.

gp200sx

Ok,thanks for that,
So is that butterfly thing at the entry of the inlet manifold to stop the engine from stalling etc??

The vacume pipes are definetly on the right way,one has a slightly bigger bore than the other.

Would you be able to explain to me which part is faulty,the space ship type thing(is that the egr?)or the plastic part at the side with a rod on it which controlls that flap???

Is there any visual way to test them???

Also does any one know what the coded number on the fault code means.

Many thanks again:)

gp200sx

Anyone out there with some more info on this?????,would be very greatfull.Thanks in advance:)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The ASV stops the engine from running on when the engine is turned off, thus giving a smooth engine cut off, its the "space ship" bit that is at fault or something to do with the control of it.

gp200sx

Is there any way i can test the egr???
What does the code number come up with,is it the valve or the canister underneath which is at fault???
I see you can get these allard egr removal pipes,what is the purpose of them??are they cheaper than buying a replacement egr???

Thanks again

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
ye, remove it and use a vacuum pressure tester to see if it opens and shuts.

the codes means the EGR system can't recirculate as much as it wants. Probably because either the valve is sticking or the whole EGR and intake is getting clogged up.

the canister undernieth is the egr cooler not the valve itself.

allards pipes remove the egr valve to increase power and decrease smoke recirculation, eventually making the fault return unless the egr function is removed via diagnostic equipment or the ecu is re-programmed to remove it.

gp200sx

Aaaa ok,the valve before hand i think was clogging,thats the reason i took it off was due to the mass of sludge and baked grime around the shaft of the egr.

The egr is as clean as a whistle now so when it says egr,its only after cleaning it i get this!!typical:cry:
Upper threshold reached does it mean it isn't opening enough or opening too much????

So if i fit a allard intake and junk the egr it will allways put the eml on will it?????

How do you go about removing it from the ecu or diag equipment??

I have accses to a wurth diag laptop,can this do it or is it a job for the VAG????

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Probably because its not opening enough, i have the full allards kit on mine and it throws the light on sporadicly every now and again but i just knock it off with my fault code scanner. The easiest way to turn it off is by having a remap. Companies like jabba, rstuning etc who have access to ecu software writing and altering equipment can just turn the egr function off - thus no light! :D
Where as diag gear (such as VCDS/vag-com) can only turn the function down as oppose to disabling it.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i get that and all the answers i found basically said nothing to worry about
get it remapped and they can remove the feature correctly from the ecu

just use vag-com and clear once a week

also you cannot turn it down or disable it on the ecu you have, well ross-tech say that anyway and they kinda know what they are talking about

gp200sx

Ok,many thanks guys.I have only accses to a Wurth laptop,is it only the vacom tester that can do this????

What if i disconnected and blocked the vacume pipe on top of the egr,will this disable it and knock off the light???or just disable it and keep the light on???

Also you said the light cannot be removed with my ecu,is it only on an after market ecu??or
just a remap on the current one???

It really bugs me having my EML on in front of me,are there any options out there to get it to stay out without having to buy a new EGR??How much do they go for???

Many thanks guys:)

Jan 22, 2007
a new egr is £150+ from a dealership -> look for a ebay or beakers yard one
you can clear the eml light using shareware vag-com -> this is what i do everyweekend.

sometimes eml will come on after 30miles and sometimes after 40miles, very random nut it will come on.

gp200sx

Very true about the eml,i plugged the wurth laptop up,cleared the fault and it did a 240 mile journey yesterday(120 each way with stops!!)and no eml!!.....I thought great stuff,its sorted itself!!but leaving the house this morning......3 miles and it was on!!!:cry::cry::cry:,

What do you guys think my next move should be???the car has only just turned 40k,it was running great(still is bar the eml!!)i decided to clean the egr and inlet because of the serious build up of gunk and now i have a fault!!!..........thats all i did as mentioned above was remove the egr and wash it with brake cleaner and a old tooth brush and replace.....and now i have a fault!!

Guess the saying dont fix what aint broken is very true!!!:)

gp200sx

Also,i had the ecu remapped with performance torque 10 months ago,if i put a alllard repalcement on the vehicle should they be able to sort the light????does the allard get rid of the egr and that butterfy flap??????...if so would the engine run ok???How much is the allard compared to a new egr?????

Sorry for all the questions but trying to sort this problem the best i can.

Many thanks again:)

Jan 22, 2007
leave it and do not panic.
if you get the full code and read the gazillion threads on the web you'll see it will not do any harm.
it is more annoying than harmful.

mine was on at a service and dealer said cleared it but nothing to worry about anyway

you need the function disabled and only a remap can do this, but need to ask t the time. Call the guys at p-torque and ask if they can disable the egr for you. they appear to be good guys from reviews so may do it quick and easy for you.

gp200sx

Yes i know,the car is running great,if i was to disable it i could fit one of those allard ones could i???how much do they retail at???
Im just thinking if i ever sell the car etc i dont want the eml on
Is it the same egr thats on the 150 VW's/Skoda/Audi's or the 130/110 VW/Skoda /Audi's,im sure i can find ones in the skrap yard.Would they work ok????

Jan 22, 2007
just fitting the pipe will not from what i understand turn off the light for good.

yes, any ARL and i believe the ASV will be the same EGR.
yes you can replace, but not sure the light will be cleared for good.

seems nobody knows how to do this once it comes on, or if they do are not telling