Shooting sparks @ 140MPH

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I had chance to drive my ARL Leon at full bore over the holidays, loved seeing the performance above 100MPH :)

Anyhow, as the sun was setting I took my car to 140MPH (prolly more like 130 on a GPS) and I could see sparks falling off the back of my car through the drivers side wing mirror.

The sparks were flying off behind me in little short bursts, it did it for about 4 seconds before I backed off and they stopped....

Can't see anything wrong, apart from my MPG readings lol. Could this have been carbon cooking off from the manifold and shooting out of my exhaust?

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I had chance to drive my ARL Leon at full bore over the holidays, loved seeing the performance above 100MPH :)

Anyhow, as the sun was setting I took my car to 140MPH (prolly more like 130 on a GPS) and I could see sparks falling off the back of my car through the drivers side wing mirror.

The sparks were flying off behind me in little short bursts, it did it for about 4 seconds before I backed off and they stopped....

Can't see anything wrong, apart from my MPG readings lol. Could this have been carbon cooking off from the manifold and shooting out of my exhaust?
I reckon so - have heard of others getting sparks out the back before.

Or maybe it's just glowing bits of turbo blades breaking off :D

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Had this on mine the first time I did sustained high speed cruising. MPG surprisingly was pretty good, it didn't drop below about 30 to 35mpg .... it's how you get to the speed as much as the speed you end up doing.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
does it feel any better for a blast at that speed after it cleared all the crap out.i mite have to take me grandmas golf out for a blast clear it out abit, it fels abit clogged up

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
One of our lads had a brand new ibiza cupra tdi and at some stage decided to take it for a "spirited" drive and the same happend with that. Afterwards it still ran as normal and sold a couple of weeks later with no problem. We still see it now and again. Good old diesels.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I had done 250 miles to get to the place where i was able to screw the engine. So i was doing around 48mpg, after the high speeds i was down to 44mpg.

Car felt completely fine at 140mph, even round corners........and thats without rear ARB!

Cant wait to do it again, next time i'll hold it there and blast some more dirt out :)

Mike FR+

I hope it was on a private stretch of road Chris lol.

The sparks are just really hot bits of carbon and soot.

jatkin

its a 1.4 tdi.. honest ;)
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago whilst topping 150. Shat me pants and thought i'd blown it up at the time!
Took me a few head scratches on the hard shoulder to work out it was probably all the cack in the exhaust burning up! :)

Deleted member 13581

Sounds like a good stretch of road.

Witnessed this sitting behind a Ibiza Cupra TDi before. Looked worrying, but then i found out Carbon/Soot deposit is normal when it hasnt had a good blow out for a while.

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
baffle box not cat
the cat will be fine because its made from metal :)
baffle boxes have mineral wool inside

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
how can you see this , in rear view , or another car behind you ??

happened on monday night i was pacing myself against a golf 150 , he had a dual exit sooted up exhaust , and was shooting what looked like fag buts at me , (you know the look when fagash lil throws her ends out as your waiting to overtake her )

never the less he pulled in for me to pass him , whether or not he got the same in return i dont know , but he was a few lengths behind me by then :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.