Black Magic 2.0 TDi FR

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Only remaining pictures are on the last page now.

Firstly I appologise for the unwashed car, she was supposed to go in to have the wheels done today, so I grabbed a couple of shots beforehand, but it never happened :(

P1010093.jpg

I have posted this mini review elsewhere on the forum but decide to put it here too.
Had the car for a little over a week now, done around 375 miles so far.

Why i choose it:

I was driving around in a Fiesta 1.6TDi Sport van (yep a van). As it is a company veichle it was on a 3 year lease which ended recently. I was given a monthly budget and proceeded to look around. My first choice was a Citreon DS3, however their earliest delivery was September. I then looked at alot of other diesels within my budget and saw the Ibiza 1.6 TDi SC. Went to the local dealer and was given a 2.0 TDi FR to test drive, well that was enough for me to decide. That and the fact it gives the cheapest tax for a 2.0 car.

P1010090.jpg

Impressions after one week and 300(ish) miles

Motorway driving is a joy, the engine idles along at 2k rpm @ 80 mph with ease. the ride is a little hard but I have no probelm with that. On a trip to Notts I was getting around 51 mpg which I suspect will rise a little once the engine has loosened up a bit.

One thing I do find annoying is the gear change indicator, it wants to change a little too early in my opinion. For example, (from memory) i'm in 4th gear doing around 30 - 35 mph it indicates for me to go into 5th, in 4th the engine feels like it is labouring, in 5th it would be worse. A petrol car would probably be ok doing this, not sure if the ecu thinks it is running a petrol version :confused:

P1010091.jpg

Overall build quality on the whole is pretty good, I have an annoying plastic vibration noise from the drivers footwell area that I need to find though.

The climate control unit looks a little odd, it's like it's been grafted on instead of blending in with the dash. Also with the two small 'vents' on either side, it seems SEAT couldn't think of anything else to put there,

The glove box door takes a little effort to shut properly, although not worried about that.

I do think the colour of the radio/climate display should have been matched to the multi function display, ie either both red or both silver/grey.

Shame the folding mirrors are not automatic when the engine is switched on/off, not sure if this is possible, I should read the manual one day lol.

I had the bluetooth/usb option thinking I could, at the very least charge my iphone, how wrong was I. The stealer failed to mention the extra bits required when I was looking at options, and even told him I have an iphone to use with the car.

That's my current opinion, will see if anything changes after i've had it a few more weeks.

Andy

P1010092.jpg

Will post some better pics when the wheels are done :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 13581

I like it. The black just highlights all the wee bits that stand out as an FR.

Had a look before changing cars. The depth of the boot put me off it, although they have done well to shoe-horn that 2.0 TDI in there.

Look forward to seeing more of these on the road.

alexfr10

Jan 8, 2010
Llandudno, North Wales
Liking the black wheels on black car m8, i think we are the only mk5 fr owners to get our wheels painted black so far, lets hope it stays that way :p

did yours start off as anthracite like mine too. can't quite tell from the first pics of it. got bored of that colour really quickly and had to get them painted black.

nice motor. [B)]

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Completely missed this question. Mine actually started out as silver, when I agreed to get the car, part of the deal was for it to be supplied with black wheels. They sprayed them anthracite, about a week after I had it.

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Completely forgot i'd started this thread.......:doh:

Not much changed, wing mirror covers changed, front and ass changed slightly :)

Front before
P1010125.jpg

Front after
P1010610.jpg

Ass before
P1010127.jpg

Ass after
P1010609.jpg

Not the best pics but they'll do for now :)

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Pretty much yes, just roughed up the chrome to give a key. Bought some primer, metalic black and lacquer from Halfrauds and sprayed. Topped of with some wax for extra protection after fitting to the car.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Thats the same for anything plastic though really. You need to key it with something like 600 paper, maybe a little lighter and then plastic primer. Smooth that off with wet 1500 and then paint and wet 1500 then laquer and polish.

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Decided to play with the side lights and see what to use instead of LED's. Trying out some Mtec bulbs first as they are cheap to replace.

Before
IMG_0343.jpg

During
IMG_0344.jpg

And after
IMG_0345.jpg

Need to get some different headlights next.

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Small update, had the car on a RR during the SCN day at AmD earlier in the year. Car was completely standard and produced 147-150bhp and about 280ft/lbs of torque as shown below.

RR.jpg

About a month ago the car was remapped by Unit18 in Northampton, went to Jabbasport on a RR day today, results are...........

185bhp and 306ft/lbs (414.8Nm) of torque, will scan the printout on Monday and post it. Gotta say I'm very happy with the result :D