Changing Front Indicator Bulbs **GUIDE**

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
A bit of a small guide I'm afraid as this really doesn't take that long, sorry the photos are a
bit dark, I took them tonight while doing it.

Tools/Parts needed :

Front Indicator bulbs (Y21W 581(s))
Hands
Tissue or toilet paper

Car used :

10 Plate Ibiza 1.4 SC Sport

Time needed :

5 Minutes max (Took me longer to walk into the shop, pick up the bulbs and pay for them!).

Difficulty :

1/5 - Even my mum could do this no sweat!

I'll be using these bulbs :

1.jpg

Cost £11.99 @ Halfords Linky

Other bulbs can be used but I got these.

To start with your headlight should look like this :

2.jpg

See the lovely orange bulb there, YUCK!

Get the bonnet open and look far left at the back of the drivers side headlight unit (far right for the passenger side) there should be a black plastic twist top like the below :

5.jpg

Turn it anti clockwise about 90 degrees and pull out. There are no wires attached to it so you can take it to the safety of your car. You should have this (I had already installed the Silvertec bulbs into my car) :

6.jpg

You will be left with the below (this is the passenger side as I didn't get one of the drivers side) :

3.jpg

You need to take your tissue or toilet paper (make sure it's clean!!) put it over the top of the original bulb, push down slightly and twist, the bulb should just twist out. Put your old bulb in a safe place before getting out your new bulb. Put the tissue/toilet paper over the top of the new bulb, line up the pins, push down slightly and twist in, it will now be securely in the holder. Take the holder (sporting the new bulb) back to the gap it came from, line it up again and turn approx 90 degrees clockwise so you can't turn it anymore. It should look like the below once done :

4.jpg

**REMEMBER TO CHECK IT WORKS BY PUTTING ON THE HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS BEFORE CONTINUING**

Repeat the steps for the passenger side, remember to use the tissue/toilet paper so you do not touch the bulb glass.

They should look like this when finished :

Video Of New Front Indicator Bulbs

7.jpg

Stand back and admire a quick and easy mod that will make the front look 100x better! :thumbup:

Last edited:

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Wow that is better! May have to do this myself. I would do the LED side lights but dont want the dash light to come up all the time :(

I love your guides lol.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Thanks Char, I'm looking into L.E.D sidelight bulbs that won't bring up the dash warning lights.

Thank you very much, will get some more done when I have more mods !

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Awesome guide mate! Only thing is, my headlights don't look like that :confused:. I think I have been ripped off mate???!!! Mine look like this:

IMGP2274.jpg

:D:p:funk:

Aug 25, 2010
Grrr why do you always do stuff. Now I've gotta make a trip to halfords lol. Looks good.

My stupid warning lights come on now looks like I'm going to have to check everything in the morning :mad:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
WOW! You just don't stop do you mate? hahahahahhahha Keep the info coming, it is good for any one else wanting to do these things.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Lol cheers mate!

Well I asked Haynes to see if they were making a manual for the MK5 and they said no so I thought I would start doing some guides to help people out that might want the same mods :) try to make them as easy to follow as possible

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Which they definately are easy to follow! Hence why i'm gonna do mine at some point after seeing my 'fried eggs' today lol. My car will be the white version of yours :p

Haha no im kidding.