Leak in Boot

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
After weeks of hoking about to see where my leak in the boot was, I finally found it!

LeonLeak1.jpg
[/IMG]
LeonLeak2.jpg
[/IMG]
Where the red circle is in the 1st picture and where the hole is in the second picture.

Ive sealed it with silicone where it was coming in at for now.

Does anybody know how the water is getting in there and how to fix this?

FortCupraR225

After weeks of hoking about to see where my leak in the boot was, I finally found it!

Where the red circle is in the 1st picture and where the hole is in the second picture.

Ive sealed it with silicone where it was coming in at for now.

Does anybody know how the water is getting in there and how to fix this?

Hmmm have you checked the roof off the car where the water would run down the runners for a roofrack if you were to have one! the water that runs down them should just bypass down the side of your boot but might be getting in somewhere?!

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
I'm new to all this Leon business but I'd start by checking the wheel arch, remove the wheel arch liner and take it from there. Have you looked at the opposite side of the car to compare?

DubSteve :)

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Definately not the wheelarch, the car was stationary and I poured the water over the top of the spoiler, down the side of the rear window and around the rear light and noticed the trickle of water then.

FortCupraR225

Definately not the wheelarch, the car was stationary and I poured the water over the top of the spoiler, down the side of the rear window and around the rear light and noticed the trickle of water then.

Is that picture right underneath the rear light?

I had a leak problem with a previous car and i had to replace the seals on both rear lights?

If it is you can maybe take off and have look?

Sometimes they just need to be tightened too, if the fixings have come loose they will let in water!

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North

I'll be interested to see where this one goes... Did you check out the opposite side to see how that looked? Also do you think this is a recent problem or something that's always been there and you just never noticed?

DubSteve :)

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
It doesnt seem to be coming in the light and the seal appears to be in good nick. Ive noticed it over the past couple of months but it could always have been there for all i know. I know some people have had problems with a hole in the weld under the front window, this looks to be the same thing only at the back instead

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
Have you checked the plastic grommets that are attached to the hinges for the boot? Had an 05 Leon and one of the plastic grommets was smashed causing water to leak into the boot. It also rusted the interior boot light and 12v socket

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
I sealed in the area that I could see the water getting in at and the water is still getting in. I looks to be a bad weld (you can see it on the first picture above)
What metal sealant can I use to seal this off properly?
Im fed up drying the boot out every few days!

someone_99

I sealed in the area that I could see the water getting in at and the water is still getting in. I looks to be a bad weld (you can see it on the first picture above)
What metal sealant can I use to seal this off properly?
Im fed up drying the boot out every few days!

Hi. Check the picture in p.2 from my last post here: /showthread.php?t=246884&page=4
I found it just with bright flashlight. But before I've seen there some dust anbd that was suspicious to me.

I sealed it and now it's fine, but the water is still coming from another place (I suspect boot hinge)

Probably you have the same issue.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members