fitted a 007p and open cone to a mk4 petrol cupra and now its sluggish and limp

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
as stated, i fitted my 007p, an open cone filter, and at the moment i've put a sock over where the oil breather should be, (i've got an oil breather but the diameter is smaller than the diameter of the pipe so i need to get some of those rubber spacers)

the car starts and drives fine (and sounds really nice) only it is ridiculously sluggish, for the first mile or so when i'm driving it from cold it judders and will occasionally pull forward on its own or just stop pulling, and when i put my foot to the floor it doesn't pick up at all... it just slowly climbs up speed

does anyone know what this could be? i'm thinking about going back to standard :(

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
have you got a pic of how its all fitted so we can see if you have done anything wrong?

my cars at my friends at the moment (we did all the work there last night then went out drinking, so i've left it there. i should be going down in about an hour to collect it, i'll get some pictures up then

i've asked a couple of people and some say it could be the TIP thats 'squashing in' when its pulling the air through and restricting air flow, although other people have said they've run everything i have with a standard TIP and its been fine

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
ive ran everything you have with standard tip and not have the tip squash itself.
its sounds like you have left somthing disconnected by mistake to me as theres no things you have done shouldnt have that effect.

i'll get some pictures up and show you - cheers for the help

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Also the position of the MAF can affect this make sure its at this position here otherwise it can cause problems

MAF is the connector just before the cone

digicam.jpg

This is an old set-up i ran changed alot now though

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
Photo693.jpg

Photo696.jpg

right i've just been out and taken a picture
thats it fitted

Last edited:

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
You have put the hose from the intercooler pipe back onto the recirc havnt you? My mates s3 kept blowing that hose off and the symptoms sound exactly the same!

scott.jpg

is that the hose you're talking about?
that blew of when i first fitted it, but i've driven it around a few times then checked back and its still attached, its a bit loose though so there might be an air leak there

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
oh and one more thing, someone from my old car club suggested i should disconenct my battery for 20 minutes or so and let the sensors reset, is this worth doing?

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
those clips are bloody difficult to fit though, i've got a few jubilee clips knocking around somewhere, if i fit those to it will it work just as well? or are the standard clips best?

Stis

Jan 13, 2011
Derby
right, i'll get some clips and get this sorted
if i disconnect the battery will it reset my head unit (its standard) will i need to put a code in?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members