Bye bye SEAT, hello Skoda

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Not posted much on here for some time, been busy with a family bereavement and with my small Fiat obsession, especially if it involves Pandas. However, after a lot of soul searching and deep thought I decided it was time for a change of vehicle. Our Ibiza ST has suffered a number of problems which I've mentioned previously on the forum which has completely destroyed my confidence in the car. It's going quite well just now but we've a lot of motoring to do in the immediate future so, with it now going into it's 8th year I decided a new car was needed.

But, what to replace it with is the question. Since the middle of the summer I've been looking for suitable replacements. The Ibiza ST pretty much ticked all the boxes but SEAT don't now do a small estate and neither do Skoda since the demise of the Fabia estate. We've had many VAG products of both the Skoda and SEAT brands in the extended family so the temptation was to stay with what I know but because of the problems we've had with the Ibiza I decided to take an unbiased look at the current competition. Turned out to be a bit of an eye opener! "Wet" cam belts - wouldn't have one in a gift. Big name brands with well documented timing chain problems. Dual mass flywheels - not unless there's absolutely no alternative. Concentric clutch slave cylinders - who on earth thought that was a good idea? some with not only no spare wheel provided but also no option to specify even a spacesaver as an extra. Some brands with well documented problems with some "infotainment" electronic systems. It just went on and on. Also I like a conventional Estate car design and don't especially like the trend for "high riding" SUV type things. Anyway, I took a few test drives and was quite impressed with the way most drove but all had at least one or more of the above listed problems.

Ok. better stick with "the devil" I know which has none of the above drawbacks. Whittled it down to either an Arona 110 SE or Scala 110 SE. Took my better half to see and sit in both and she would have been happy with either. However there's absolutely no chance of getting a full size spare in the Arona and they don't even specify a space saver as an option (probably get on which would fit from the folk in the midlands where we bought one for daughter in law's Mazda 2 though?) Also, most of the used, but nearly new, Aronas are FR spec and I don't want the harder FR "sport" suspension.

Looking like a Scala then? We were shown a Monte Carlo spec but it was far too flashy for me and ran on "rubber band" low profile tyres. Then shown a range topping SE-L spec and it seemed to tick all the boxes although it had lots of stuff "tech" I don't need or want, but it was nice to sit in with all the controls well placed and not all that far from what the Ibiza was like - unsurprisingly. They dug up a used example - don't think they had a demo - so we could drive it and I was lucky enough to drive it through the town and out onto the A1 so I could experience it both in traffic and out on the open road cruising at speed. The car is very comparable to the 95 hp Ibiza I have in terms of performance - no doubt the small increase in weight compared to the Ibiza accounts for that (I'm looking at the 110hp Scala). considerably more comfortable though if just a smidgeon less agile on the country lanes - I'm happy to trade that for the comfort now in my "dotage".

Back at the showroom now but, disaster, no "nearly new" SE spec models anywhere in the system. The one in the showroom is available right now sir, but no I don't want a new SE-L with it's multi configurable digital dashboard and "super computer" infotainment system with a screen in the dashboard big enough to rival my home TV (joking of course) but I'd much rather have a row of analogue dials with "useful stuff" like oil pressure and temperature, battery voltage, etc instead. So the SE spec with it's simpler screen with actual radio volume control knob etc will do me just fine.

Seeing I was about to walk the, very helpful, salesman called in the sales manager - as they do. About three quarters of an hour later I'd signed up for a pre-registered Scoda Scala 110 SE Technology in Energy Blue non metallic paint. SE Technology? a spec I didn't even know existed. It's aimed at the high mileage business customer who spends much of his time in the car so has some nice wee additions, more attractive alloys, but still 16" rims so no "silly" low profile tyres in fact they're 205/55R16 so the most common tyre size in UK today. Parking sensors all round (SE only has them on the rear) and some other "nice" stuff. Being a Pre-reg there was a very attractive reduction in price over a brand new one - I bought the Ibiza on the same basis - Anyway, seems it's the only SE spec available pre-reg (new face lifted model due with the new reg nos in March) so I signed up for it and paid the deposit. due to the pre reg restrictions, which I don't really understand I can't have it 'till Feb 28th. It's in the compound at Glasgow docks.

Anyway, phone call to say the car's here and would I like to come in and look it over. So we went yesterday:

P1110545.JPG

and I absolutely love it. lots more little details I hadn't known about on this version, like the chrome trim round the windows. Wheels are lovely compared to the SE standard alloy. and, although it doesn't impress me, it's got the larger infotainment screen from the SE-L with sat nave etc. Spare wheel in the boot:

P1110544.JPG

which I took out and stood beside a wheel on the car and it's the same diameter although it's a 195/60R16 whereas the car's on 205/55R16 which means it has to be treated as a speed restricted fitment. However the diameter being the same as the car's wheels and the spare wheel well being deep - look at the picture - I'm confident a full size will fit. I'll be applying anti seize to the wheel/hub interface as soon as I get the car home and I'll try a wheel off the car in teh wheel well at that time with a view to buying a full size spare to cover us on our long distance trips down south.

The dashboard is analogue, hurrah!

P1110548.JPG

and looks very similar to the Ibiza, especially that little centre screen where I like to display coolant temperature when I'm driving. Many of the other controls look the same, cruise etc, so I think it'll take no time at all for me to become familiar. Oh, and notice it's got the very latest two spoke steering wheel - wasn't expecting that.

Many similarities on the engine compared to the Ibiza but some very obvious differences:

P1110540.JPG

Air filter now mounted to the N/S with a big black breather/oil separator (I guess) on the top of the cam cover. The top belt cover is now ally, not plastic like the Ibiza and the twin thermostat/water pump is now all aluminium, not a sign of black plastic - hurrah! Much easier to check brake fluid level and there's a very clever fold out "funnel" on the screen wash filler to help stop spills:

P1110542.JPG

P1110541.JPG

She's slightly longer, maybe 10 cm? and wider than the Ibiza estate with maybe very slightly more boot space and a lot more rear seat space. The extra width in the front means my better half's right arm doesn't get in the way of the handbrake lever and I don't tend to nudge her when changing gear - yes folks, it's got a "sensible" manual hand brake!

Gona be a long month's wait before I can get my hands on her!

So folks, I will soon be SEATless! I'll still "lurk" about on the forum though but I suspect I'll be thinking of a password for the Briskoda forum before too long.

Thanks for all the interesting exchanges we've had over the last few years and especially thanks to RUM, for the very interesting stuff we've discussed.

Edit. PS. Just 9, yes NINE, miles showing on the clock!

Last edited:

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’ll probably go Superb next, after my Leon. Either that or Range Rover L322?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I’ll probably go Superb next, after my Leon. Either that or Range Rover L322?
Wow, that's two very very different cars. What makes you compare the two? Personally I'd come down on the side of the Superb every time. Although I have a love hate relationship with series Land Rovers. I presume we're talking a Skoda Superb here and not some American vehicle of that name?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Yeah, Skoda Superb. Two very comfortable cars with plenty of leg and boot space in the back. The driving position and the way the Range makes you feel is something else. I want comfort and refinement. Smooth bumpless ride, and quiet, no tyre or wind noise.

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
Had 5 years of absolutely hassle free motoring in my Skoda Octavia Estate SE Technology - enjoy the simply clever bits that you'll find on the car like the ice scraper in the filler cap and you'll probably have an umbrella stowed somewhere and a little removable light in the boot. Loved that car and would happily go back to Skoda - wouldn't swap it for me Cupra tho :cool:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah, Skoda Superb. Two very comfortable cars with plenty of leg and boot space in the back. The driving position and the way the Range makes you feel is something else. I want comfort and refinement. Smooth bumpless ride, and quiet, no tyre or wind noise.
Ok, I think I get it now. On your highways both these vehicles will be great but on our small winding roads the "Landy" is quite a handful whereas the Skoda would be much more agile.

Reactions: H Rafiq

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Head says Superb, heart says Range Rover. Bank says Superb, and wife says Superb. So I guess that’s that then 😂 Sticking with my Cupra for now though 👌🏼

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Ha ha. hope you enjoy your new superb! I've had quite a bit of experience of land Rovers and I love the more basic "Farmer" types however the more luxurious and newer they are, well, lets just say I think you'll be much better off with the Superb if you want your journeys to be made with certainty of getting there rather than it just being an expression of intent to travel.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Not posted much on here for some time, been busy with a family bereavement and with my small Fiat obsession, especially if it involves Pandas. However, after a lot of soul searching and deep thought I decided it was time for a change of vehicle. Our Ibiza ST has suffered a number of problems which I've mentioned previously on the forum which has completely destroyed my confidence in the car. It's going quite well just now but we've a lot of motoring to do in the immediate future so, with it now going into it's 8th year I decided a new car was needed.

But, what to replace it with is the question. Since the middle of the summer I've been looking for suitable replacements. The Ibiza ST pretty much ticked all the boxes but SEAT don't now do a small estate and neither do Skoda since the demise of the Fabia estate. We've had many VAG products of both the Skoda and SEAT brands in the extended family so the temptation was to stay with what I know but because of the problems we've had with the Ibiza I decided to take an unbiased look at the current competition. Turned out to be a bit of an eye opener! "Wet" cam belts - wouldn't have one in a gift. Big name brands with well documented timing chain problems. Dual mass flywheels - not unless there's absolutely no alternative. Concentric clutch slave cylinders - who on earth thought that was a good idea? some with not only no spare wheel provided but also no option to specify even a spacesaver as an extra. Some brands with well documented problems with some "infotainment" electronic systems. It just went on and on. Also I like a conventional Estate car design and don't especially like the trend for "high riding" SUV type things. Anyway, I took a few test drives and was quite impressed with the way most drove but all had at least one or more of the above listed problems.

Ok. better stick with "the devil" I know which has none of the above drawbacks. Whittled it down to either an Arona 110 SE or Scala 110 SE. Took my better half to see and sit in both and she would have been happy with either. However there's absolutely no chance of getting a full size spare in the Arona and they don't even specify a space saver as an option (probably get on which would fit from the folk in the midlands where we bought one for daughter in law's Mazda 2 though?) Also, most of the used, but nearly new, Aronas are FR spec and I don't want the harder FR "sport" suspension.

Looking like a Scala then? We were shown a Monte Carlo spec but it was far too flashy for me and ran on "rubber band" low profile tyres. Then shown a range topping SE-L spec and it seemed to tick all the boxes although it had lots of stuff "tech" I don't need or want, but it was nice to sit in with all the controls well placed and not all that far from what the Ibiza was like - unsurprisingly. They dug up a used example - don't think they had a demo - so we could drive it and I was lucky enough to drive it through the town and out onto the A1 so I could experience it both in traffic and out on the open road cruising at speed. The car is very comparable to the 95 hp Ibiza I have in terms of performance - no doubt the small increase in weight compared to the Ibiza accounts for that (I'm looking at the 110hp Scala). considerably more comfortable though if just a smidgeon less agile on the country lanes - I'm happy to trade that for the comfort now in my "dotage".

Back at the showroom now but, disaster, no "nearly new" SE spec models anywhere in the system. The one in the showroom is available right now sir, but no I don't want a new SE-L with it's multi configurable digital dashboard and "super computer" infotainment system with a screen in the dashboard big enough to rival my home TV (joking of course) but I'd much rather have a row of analogue dials with "useful stuff" like oil pressure and temperature, battery voltage, etc instead. So the SE spec with it's simpler screen with actual radio volume control knob etc will do me just fine.

Seeing I was about to walk the, very helpful, salesman called in the sales manager - as they do. About three quarters of an hour later I'd signed up for a pre-registered Scoda Scala 110 SE Technology in Energy Blue non metallic paint. SE Technology? a spec I didn't even know existed. It's aimed at the high mileage business customer who spends much of his time in the car so has some nice wee additions, more attractive alloys, but still 16" rims so no "silly" low profile tyres in fact they're 205/55R16 so the most common tyre size in UK today. Parking sensors all round (SE only has them on the rear) and some other "nice" stuff. Being a Pre-reg there was a very attractive reduction in price over a brand new one - I bought the Ibiza on the same basis - Anyway, seems it's the only SE spec available pre-reg (new face lifted model due with the new reg nos in March) so I signed up for it and paid the deposit. due to the pre reg restrictions, which I don't really understand I can't have it 'till Feb 28th. It's in the compound at Glasgow docks.

Anyway, phone call to say the car's here and would I like to come in and look it over. So we went yesterday:

View attachment 40368

and I absolutely love it. lots more little details I hadn't known about on this version, like the chrome trim round the windows. Wheels are lovely compared to the SE standard alloy. and, although it doesn't impress me, it's got the larger infotainment screen from the SE-L with sat nave etc. Spare wheel in the boot:

View attachment 40369

which I took out and stood beside a wheel on the car and it's the same diameter although it's a 195/60R16 whereas the car's on 205/55R16 which means it has to be treated as a speed restricted fitment. However the diameter being the same as the car's wheels and the spare wheel well being deep - look at the picture - I'm confident a full size will fit. I'll be applying anti seize to the wheel/hub interface as soon as I get the car home and I'll try a wheel off the car in teh wheel well at that time with a view to buying a full size spare to cover us on our long distance trips down south.

The dashboard is analogue, hurrah!

View attachment 40370

and looks very similar to the Ibiza, especially that little centre screen where I like to display coolant temperature when I'm driving. Many of the other controls look the same, cruise etc, so I think it'll take no time at all for me to become familiar. Oh, and notice it's got the very latest two spoke steering wheel - wasn't expecting that.

Many similarities on the engine compared to the Ibiza but some very obvious differences:

View attachment 40371

Air filter now mounted to the N/S with a big black breather/oil separator (I guess) on the top of the cam cover. The top belt cover is now ally, not plastic like the Ibiza and the twin thermostat/water pump is now all aluminium, not a sign of black plastic - hurrah! Much easier to check brake fluid level and there's a very clever fold out "funnel" on the screen wash filler to help stop spills:

View attachment 40372

View attachment 40373

She's slightly longer, maybe 10 cm? and wider than the Ibiza estate with maybe very slightly more boot space and a lot more rear seat space. The extra width in the front means my better half's right arm doesn't get in the way of the handbrake lever and I don't tend to nudge her when changing gear - yes folks, it's got a "sensible" manual hand brake!

Gona be a long month's wait before I can get my hands on her!

So folks, I will soon be SEATless! I'll still "lurk" about on the forum though but I suspect I'll be thinking of a password for the Briskoda forum before too long.

Thanks for all the interesting exchanges we've had over the last few years and especially thanks to RUM, for the very interesting stuff we've discussed.

Edit. PS. Just 9, yes NINE, miles showing on the clock!
Looks a good fit to replace the Biza, hope it fares well for the next 8 years. enjoy.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Looks a good fit to replace the Biza, hope it fares well for the next 8 years. enjoy.
Although it's slightly bigger it's the nearest I could find. So many are "pretending" to be SUVs now a days and I just don't find myself attracted to that style of vehicle. Anyway, regardless of all that I found it a nice car to drive although I think the 2 year old used example I drove on test seemed to have slightly more turbo pickup lag from very low revs than the Ibiza.

While I'm on here, since it's introduction there's been the 1.0 litre 95hp 3 cylinder and the 1.5 litre 145hp (or thereabouts?) 4 cylinder neither of which seem to have changed spec and anyway they are not the engine I've ordered. The middle choice engine is also the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder which started out in 2019 quoted at 115hp (or PS if you must) then it went to 110PS at facelift (for 2023 I believe) and the facelift, just about to put in an appearance is quoted at 116ps - Mine is the 110PS. Noone at the dealership could give me a meaningful answer with most thinking it was due to minor changes in emissions (I think they were just bull*****ing in ignorance). Anyone know what it's all about?

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Although it's slightly bigger it's the nearest I could find. So many are "pretending" to be SUVs now a days and I just don't find myself attracted to that style of vehicle. Anyway, regardless of all that I found it a nice car to drive although I think the 2 year old used example I drove on test seemed to have slightly more turbo pickup lag from very low revs than the Ibiza.

While I'm on here, since it's introduction there's been the 1.0 litre 95hp 3 cylinder and the 1.5 litre 145hp (or thereabouts?) 4 cylinder neither of which seem to have changed spec and anyway they are not the engine I've ordered. The middle choice engine is also the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder which started out in 2019 quoted at 115hp (or PS if you must) then it went to 110PS at facelift (for 2023 I believe) and the facelift, just about to put in an appearance is quoted at 116ps - Mine is the 110PS. Noone at the dealership could give me a meaningful answer with most thinking it was due to minor changes in emissions (I think they were just bull*****ing in ignorance). Anyone know what it's all about?
Never liked SUV's either, big cumbersome beasts that for the same size engine will never be as quick or agile as a hatchback.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Never liked SUV's either, big cumbersome beasts that for the same size engine will never be as quick or agile as a hatchback.
Absolutely, anyway, a lower centre of gravity has to make sense in any situation? A big SUV seems to be something you don't want in Edinburgh just now anyway. There's recently been some sort of environmental vigilante group going round targeting them. A few months ago they went round the centre of the city in the wee small hours puncturing their tyres - Think the paper I read said they'd "done" something like 30 vehicles, all "Chelsea Travctors".

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Absolutely, anyway, a lower centre of gravity has to make sense in any situation? A big SUV seems to be something you don't want in Edinburgh just now anyway. There's recently been some sort of environmental vigilante group going round targeting them. A few months ago they went round the centre of the city in the wee small hours puncturing their tyres - Think the paper I read said they'd "done" something like 30 vehicles, all "Chelsea Travctors".
Also as the roads in the Portobello area are so narrow, and because of the new fines for parking on pavements kicked in yest, I could hardly get my Leon between the cars, down to my lockup .

Last edited:

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Also as the roads in the Portobello area are so narrow, and because of the new fines for parking on pavements kicked in yest, I could hardly get my Leon down to my lockup between the cars.
Aye, we're not that far from the crematorium and when there's a really big funeral folk park all over the place, mostly with 2 wheels on the pavement, in the surrounding streets. Lord help us if a fire engine, or maybe even an ambulance, is going to need access as even a motor cycle could have problems the way some abandon their vehicles!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Well, I took ownership of "Bluey" the Scala on 28th Feb so had her for just under three weeks now. She fit's on my wee run off parking place just right:

P1110640.JPG

She's actually slightly longer - and a wee bit wider - than my previous Ibiza ST (estate) and I'd been wondering if her "derriere" would overhang the pavement, but, as you can see, all is well. It helps too that, being the "Technology" spec, she has front parking sensors as well as the more usual rear ones. I find that if I go forward 'till a constant tone is heard, I'm exactly the right distance from the garage door to open it with room to spare so it doesn't bump the front of the car whilst, at the same time, the rear end isn't over the pavement - perfect! The garage, of course, is so full of "useful junk" that there's no point in trying to get the car inside - It's probably too narrow to open the doors once inside anyway! She's also a bit higher than the Ibiza so I have to stand on a wee step to reach the middle of the roof when cleaning her. Being higher my Mrs, who has back problems, finds her easier to get in and out of but the sill is a little higher to swing your feet over. We both find the seats more comfortable. They have fore and aft adjustment as you'd expect but also both front seats are height adjustable and have adjustable lumber support. Head and leg room in the rear is exceptional - quite "palatial" compared to the Ibiza.

I wanted to stay with the basic 16" wheels because they run 205/55R16 tyres which, to my way of thinking, come with two major advantages. 1. 205/55R16 is the most common tyre size in Britain today so choice and availability should be good and 2. the sidewall is reasonably tall so assisting with a compliant ride and helping "swallow up" some of the worst of the potholes without bending wheel rims. The 16" wheels on the standard SE spec car are quite a thick 5 spoke design and, whilst they do the job, didn't particularly inspire me. I was both surprised and delighted to find my Technology spec car came on these:

P1110620.JPG

in my view, much nicer multispoke jobbies! More fiddly to clean though I suppose? They are quite a "flat faced" design so the tyre sidewall contacts the curb before the spokes meaning you'd have to be quite determined to "curb" them. One of my obsessions is with having a full size spare wheel in the boot. The car comes standard with a very useable 195/65/16 "proper" spare (ie not a "skinny" spacesaver but a tyre with a full 8mm tread depth) although being normally speed rated, you can't go over 50mph with it fitted because it's not the same size as the tyres on the alloys. Although, being a "normal" tyre you would be able to complete a long journey on it without worrying it was going to wear through. It's also the same diameter, to within a gnat's whisker, as the 205/55R16 on the alloy, so shouldn't cause excessive diff spider gear wear if driven for some distance (wear to spider gears is one reason why running a space saver over long distances - in excess of 30 miles usually - is not recommended) However, with my obsession for having a matching spare in the boot, one of the first things I did was lift her with my trolley jack and remove an alloy wheel (N/S front to be exact) and try it in the boot. Yippee! it fits:

P1110615.JPG

I knew it would go diameter wise as I'd measured it but there's a recess inside the rear bumper which it has to go under and with the full size 205 section wheel/tyre being about 10mm wider than the 195 spare, I wasn't confident it would go under, but it does:

P1110616.JPG

I suspect that the wider and lower profile wheel/tyre combination on the higher spec models may not clear this trim panel. Diameter should be Ok I would guess, because I doubt if they'll have changed the gearbox/speedo ratios but tyre width will mean you'd have to cut the plastic trim back - which would be very "doable" but a pity to spoil the trim?

Oh dear! I'd forgotten about the restriction on length of post on our forum so I'm cutting it here and will attempt to copy the remainder below

Attachments

• P1110626.JPG
    P1110626.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1110631.JPG
    P1110631.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1110625.JPG
    P1110625.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P1110683.JPG
    P1110683.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P1110637.JPG
    P1110637.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1110697.JPG
    P1110697.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: serdar_18fr

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Ok, so here we go with Part 2.

If ever you needed some motivation to apply anti seize to the mounting hub for the wheel then look at this:

P1110626.JPG

It's corrosion, already starting on the locating part of the hub where the alloy wheel locates. Slightly disappointing to see on a car with just 9 miles on the clock but probably reflects the fact she's been sitting in a compound for a few months? This is a very common problem on cars with alloy wheels and can get so bad it makes removing wheels extremely difficult. - last thing you want when trying to change a puncture on a wet, cold evening miles away from anywhere! The problem, of course, is electrolytic corrosion caused by interaction between the dissimilar metals in contact, steel of the hub and aluminium of the wheel. The answer is to clean it off, a very quick job with a wire brush, emery cloth or whatever, and a light application of antiseize. In this case I used a ceramic brake grease:

P1110631.JPG

Similar treatment to the inside of the wheel and "Bob's your Auntie!" The other three will be getting the same treatment soon on a day when it's not raining!

I was slightly disappointed but not surprised, to see that the brake calipers are very similar to those on the Ibiza:

P1110625.JPG

From my perspective it's the fact that there's no separate caliper carrier bracket. The caliper slider pins screw directly into part of the casting of the hub. The pads have quite strong spring clips which tend to displace them in relation to the caliper making it difficult when installing the slider pins to get them lined up and not cross threading them. I encountered this problem on the Ibiza when I took over maintenance on expiry of the warranty at 3 years. One of the pins had been crossthreaded and, to my horror, I watched a thin spiral of thread unwind itself from the hole as I withdrew the slider pin! To be fair to the garage, I doubt if they would have removed the caliper during it's 3 years of life so i think it was most likely an assembly fault from the factory. The problem was quickly solved for me by a wee VAG independent (at Abbeyhill for anyone local) by drilling out and installing an insert - not a helicoil type by the way. It was so easily done If I encounter this again I'll buy a kit and do it myself. Pleased though, to see a banjo fitting on the flexible hose which will make a caliper change, if ever needed, much easier than if it had a screw in hose.

The handbrake is, thankfully, manual so the rear calipers look exactly like the ones which were on the Ibiza. They have separate caliper carriers so why can't the front be the same? Oh silly me, doing away with a separate carrier probably saves them at least 2/6p per hub Eh? Anyway, I'm delighted to have a manual hand brake and I developed a way of installing the sliders on the Ibiza which, if I'm still physically capable of doing some work on my cars in 3 years time - I'll be over 80 by then - I'm sure I'll be able to apply to these ones.

Being behind the wheel is really a very familiar place to be and not that dissimilar to the Ibiza:

P1110683.JPG

P1110637.JPG

I was expecting to see a 3 spoke wheel like the Ibiza as other used examples I'd seen had a 3 spoke but mine has the later 2 spoke with the upgraded spoke controls. Makes no difference to how much of it works but, maybe, looks a little nicer? The "infotainment" screen - which I'd happily swap for a nice row of analogue gauges - is the larger Amundsen with sat nav etc (the standard SE has a smaller more basic screen" Don't know how to make most of it work yet and already it's asking me to download an "over air" update! I'm slightly frightened to do this because I believe you must not drive the car during the update but also the engine has to be running. I guess to ensure battery voltage doesn't drop below a certain thresh hold? Anyway, I suppose I'll have to "bite the bullet" before long and just do it! Manual air con too which I'm used to from the Ibiza - could have had climate control for a bit extra but this car was a pre reggie deal so I had to just go with it and I've never had climate control so don't know what I'm missing out on.

I like pretty much everything about the way she drives. Turbo response is considerably better than the Ibiza. The Ibiza had a basic wastegate type turbo whereas this one has a variable vane which probably accounts for the considerably better low revs pick up. Power delivery is also much more linear and extends higher up the rev range - although I haven't really explored this too much yet with so little miles on the clock. Variable vane turbos I've encountered, to my detriment, on previous Diesels that have been "family fleet" vehicles. They were prone to seizing up of their vane mechanisms due to carbon deposits. It'll be interesting to see if a cleaner running petrol engine suffers these problems. She also has a PPF - Petrol Particulate Filter - but, unlike Diesel Particulate filters the garage informs me they haven't yet had a problem with a PPF. So, fingers crossed!

Ride is so much better than the Ibiza, much more compliant and suited to an old phart like me! Although a softer ride road holding is still excellent with much less body roll than I would expect. We took a drive down to Galashiels on the twisty A7 (roughly a 70 mile round trip of both city and country driving) and returned 54mpg on the dash board computer This is pretty much what I would have expected from the Ibiza and I'm well pleased with this. I think 60mpg may well be achievable on the motorway which is what the Ibiza always returned. Looks like the Scala's "tweeky" aero stuff must work. It directs an air curtain through the front bumper to create a curtain of air over the outside of the front wheels and down the side of the car. CD factor of .29 I believe? https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en.../attachment/scala_vehicle_body_aerodynamic_w/

By the way, the boot capacity is very similar to the Ibiza estate. Same sort of very usable square shape and maybe just very slightly bigger. Plenty big enough for us. Oh, and the name, Bluey. Granddaughter decided on it withing seconds of first seeing her. "Well, it's blue isn't it granddad, so it's got to be Bluey hasn't it? Also the colour? it's a non metallic called Energy Blue. The car wasn't in the dealership when I committed to buying it but I was shown the colour on a colour swatch. If I wanted the pre-reggie deal there was no choice, it was this or a new one which would have cost considerably more. I wasn't "thrilled" by the colour but when I saw it in it's full shinyness in the back showroom a week or so later o realized I really liked it. Probably wouldn't have gone for it if the full colour gamit was on offer, but definitely very pleased with it and, so far, the only other one I've seen in this colour has been a new model Fabia,

I keep thinking of other stuff to mention - like what's the big black plastic "box" on top of the cam cover:

P1110697.JPG

It has the oil filler cap on the top so maybe part of the breather system, maybe a vapour separator? So glad to have an oil dip stick too, my boy's Audi A4 doesn't have one and there's apparently no way of fitting one - I wouldn't feel happy with that. Better stop now or I'll just go on "enthusing" about my new car. If you're still reading then well done for staying with me and thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: serdar_18fr

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Ok, so here we go with Part 2.

If ever you needed some motivation to apply anti seize to the mounting hub for the wheel then look at this:

View attachment 41292

It's corrosion, already starting on the locating part of the hub where the alloy wheel locates. Slightly disappointing to see on a car with just 9 miles on the clock but probably reflects the fact she's been sitting in a compound for a few months? This is a very common problem on cars with alloy wheels and can get so bad it makes removing wheels extremely difficult. - last thing you want when trying to change a puncture on a wet, cold evening miles away from anywhere! The problem, of course, is electrolytic corrosion caused by interaction between the dissimilar metals in contact, steel of the hub and aluminium of the wheel. The answer is to clean it off, a very quick job with a wire brush, emery cloth or whatever, and a light application of antiseize. In this case I used a ceramic brake grease:

View attachment 41293

Similar treatment to the inside of the wheel and "Bob's your Auntie!" The other three will be getting the same treatment soon on a day when it's not raining!

I was slightly disappointed but not surprised, to see that the brake calipers are very similar to those on the Ibiza:

View attachment 41294

From my perspective it's the fact that there's no separate caliper carrier bracket. The caliper slider pins screw directly into part of the casting of the hub. The pads have quite strong spring clips which tend to displace them in relation to the caliper making it difficult when installing the slider pins to get them lined up and not cross threading them. I encountered this problem on the Ibiza when I took over maintenance on expiry of the warranty at 3 years. One of the pins had been crossthreaded and, to my horror, I watched a thin spiral of thread unwind itself from the hole as I withdrew the slider pin! To be fair to the garage, I doubt if they would have removed the caliper during it's 3 years of life so i think it was most likely an assembly fault from the factory. The problem was quickly solved for me by a wee VAG independent (at Abbeyhill for anyone local) by drilling out and installing an insert - not a helicoil type by the way. It was so easily done If I encounter this again I'll buy a kit and do it myself. Pleased though, to see a banjo fitting on the flexible hose which will make a caliper change, if ever needed, much easier than if it had a screw in hose.

The handbrake is, thankfully, manual so the rear calipers look exactly like the ones which were on the Ibiza. They have separate caliper carriers so why can't the front be the same? Oh silly me, doing away with a separate carrier probably saves them at least 2/6p per hub Eh? Anyway, I'm delighted to have a manual hand brake and I developed a way of installing the sliders on the Ibiza which, if I'm still physically capable of doing some work on my cars in 3 years time - I'll be over 80 by then - I'm sure I'll be able to apply to these ones.

Being behind the wheel is really a very familiar place to be and not that dissimilar to the Ibiza:

View attachment 41295

View attachment 41296

I was expecting to see a 3 spoke wheel like the Ibiza as other used examples I'd seen had a 3 spoke but mine has the later 2 spoke with the upgraded spoke controls. Makes no difference to how much of it works but, maybe, looks a little nicer? The "infotainment" screen - which I'd happily swap for a nice row of analogue gauges - is the larger Amundsen with sat nav etc (the standard SE has a smaller more basic screen" Don't know how to make most of it work yet and already it's asking me to download an "over air" update! I'm slightly frightened to do this because I believe you must not drive the car during the update but also the engine has to be running. I guess to ensure battery voltage doesn't drop below a certain thresh hold? Anyway, I suppose I'll have to "bite the bullet" before long and just do it! Manual air con too which I'm used to from the Ibiza - could have had climate control for a bit extra but this car was a pre reggie deal so I had to just go with it and I've never had climate control so don't know what I'm missing out on.

I like pretty much everything about the way she drives. Turbo response is considerably better than the Ibiza. The Ibiza had a basic wastegate type turbo whereas this one has a variable vane which probably accounts for the considerably better low revs pick up. Power delivery is also much more linear and extends higher up the rev range - although I haven't really explored this too much yet with so little miles on the clock. Variable vane turbos I've encountered, to my detriment, on previous Diesels that have been "family fleet" vehicles. They were prone to seizing up of their vane mechanisms due to carbon deposits. It'll be interesting to see if a cleaner running petrol engine suffers these problems. She also has a PPF - Petrol Particulate Filter - but, unlike Diesel Particulate filters the garage informs me they haven't yet had a problem with a PPF. So, fingers crossed!

Ride is so much better than the Ibiza, much more compliant and suited to an old phart like me! Although a softer ride road holding is still excellent with much less body roll than I would expect. We took a drive down to Galashiels on the twisty A7 (roughly a 70 mile round trip of both city and country driving) and returned 54mpg on the dash board computer This is pretty much what I would have expected from the Ibiza and I'm well pleased with this. I think 60mpg may well be achievable on the motorway which is what the Ibiza always returned. Looks like the Scala's "tweeky" aero stuff must work. It directs an air curtain through the front bumper to create a curtain of air over the outside of the front wheels and down the side of the car. CD factor of .29 I believe? https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en.../attachment/scala_vehicle_body_aerodynamic_w/

By the way, the boot capacity is very similar to the Ibiza estate. Same sort of very usable square shape and maybe just very slightly bigger. Plenty big enough for us. Oh, and the name, Bluey. Granddaughter decided on it withing seconds of first seeing her. "Well, it's blue isn't it granddad, so it's got to be Bluey hasn't it? Also the colour? it's a non metallic called Energy Blue. The car wasn't in the dealership when I committed to buying it but I was shown the colour on a colour swatch. If I wanted the pre-reggie deal there was no choice, it was this or a new one which would have cost considerably more. I wasn't "thrilled" by the colour but when I saw it in it's full shinyness in the back showroom a week or so later o realized I really liked it. Probably wouldn't have gone for it if the full colour gamit was on offer, but definitely very pleased with it and, so far, the only other one I've seen in this colour has been a new model Fabia,

I keep thinking of other stuff to mention - like what's the big black plastic "box" on top of the cam cover:

View attachment 41297

It has the oil filler cap on the top so maybe part of the breather system, maybe a vapour separator? So glad to have an oil dip stick too, my boy's Audi A4 doesn't have one and there's apparently no way of fitting one - I wouldn't feel happy with that. Better stop now or I'll just go on "enthusing" about my new car. If you're still reading then well done for staying with me and thank you.
Very concise review of the car, enjoyed reading it and hope it runs fault free for the duration.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Very concise review of the car, enjoyed reading it and hope it runs fault free for the duration.
Thank you. I could have gone on a lot more but managed to curb myself!

VAG products are not perfect but compared to their competition I think they get a lot of things "sensibly" right. For instance with regard to this Scala. It has a solid flywheel - mine's a triple although I think the 4 cylinder option does have a dual mass? Well tried and proven reliable "dry" timing belts which, when they need to be changed, don't cost an arm and a leg. Clutch slave cylinder on the outside of the bell housing. Manual hand brake. Sensible spare wheel. TPMS which uses ABS signals and not dedicated expensive sensors in each wheel. I find I'm quite liking the indicator on the dash which tells me what the current speed limit is and don't mind the wee warning chime when it detects the next sign. Also, so be it if we are all such poor drivers now that we need anti collision braking, lane keeping assist, and other driving aids - at least the lane keeping assist and stop start are very quick and easy to turn off and none of this stuff is terribly distracting. I like also that the radar sensor is mounted quite high up in the grill unlike many others which seem to mount them quite low and leave them therefore vulnerable to low curbs etc when parking head in. Probably makes it less susceptible to blocking by road dirt etc. However I do despair over all this infotainment stuff. Electronics have brought enormous steps forward in terms of performance, economy and safety and I fully endorse electronic engine management systems, electronic control of automatic transmissions, anti lock brakes, and a whole lot more stuff which works away, mostly very reliably and efficiently, in the background with no intervention required by the driver. I have no argument with any of that but I think the almost universal adoption of touch screens and their potential to distract the driver is positively dangerous and I'd like to see them banned.

When the modern iteration of Dacia - post their acquisition by Renault - first appeared on the scene I thought all my dreams had been answered. Unfortunately they're going the way of them all now with the inclusion of all the unnecessary tech like all the others. I suppose it's because, like all animals, we are too attracted to shiny things which glitter! Even so I was initially quite attracted to their products but was put off by multiple reports of timing chain problems I read about and they use a dual mass flywheel with concentric clutch slave cylinder. I actually tried a Duster and was quite impressed with it but it didn't handle as well as the Scala and it's clutch action was very different to what I was used to - nowhere to rest your left foot when not working the clutch either. Oh, and it's now got an electric hand brake. Pity, because I liked, and still like, the look of them but my better half said it was far to large for her to drive so I wouldn't have been "allowed" it anyway! - had a nice big spare wheel though, but an optional order on the newest version I think?

Of course, for me, there's also the fact that I've got AVW, Autohaus and, just down the road from me, Mackinnon's - all VAG people - to call on for help when needed. It was Mackinnons who were so helpful with the insert on the Ibiza's front brake caliper and AVW have done several bigger jobs for family VAG vehicles in the past and been very good. If I changed to a different brand I'd have to forge new links with repairers. Also, it occurred to me, my extensive tool kit is optimized for working on VAG stuff, although I'm needing to update my ancient VCDS interface now. At the end of the day it didn't take a lot of thought to decide and, so far, I'm really delighted with the new car.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I had a new Scala 1.0 DSG on hire during a holiday in Australia a month ago. Have to say I was very impressed, and they give a 7 year (unlimited km's) warranty!

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists