Difference between ALH & AGR

woody-rallye

my engine went bang in my leon tdi agr. now i have been offered a alh engine for the right money just wanted to know whats the difference and would it fit? would i need to make any modifcations?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I would just check the engine mounting as my AGR has no mount on the timing belt end but I think the ALH does in some cars anyway but as sssstew says they're practically the same engine so I can't see there being any real problems.:)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The code basically as far as I can tell, my AGR lines up using the timing belt guide for the ALH but the ALH usually has different manifolds and turbo etc in the 90, I think they do a 110 AGR in some of the skodas but there both used in the 90bhp cars, the 110 just has slightly bigger injhectors, a slightly different tune and a vnt turbo. The main blocks and heads look identical, just check the mounts as the manifolds etc are all interchangable.:)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
AGR is an older engine and has a wastegate turbo like all the older TDI 90's. ALH is built exactly like ASV and AHF, with a variable vane turbo, but limited to 90 bhp. So the exhaust manifold and downpipe will be different for a start. Don't know if the injectors are different between ALH and ASV/AHF. ECU will obviously be different.

Seatmann, I doubt if there is a 110 version with a wastegate turbo and if there was I'd expect it to have a different engine code. Can you tell us anything more about these Skoda 110 AGR's?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
No just that it seems to exist but it has a vnt, my neighbour has the haynes manual for the skoda with the vnt as she thought it might be useful for our cars as they both have the agr engine but I'm not sure if it's a 110 or not. It's the same injectors though for the alh and agr and 1z etc, it's just some automatics have smaller injectors and an 11mm pump but all the manuals have the 10mm pump and .184 injectors as standard. The manifolds are different because of the different turbos but apart from the engine mount on the timing belt end I can't find any other difference, the agr doesn't have the mount there, at least not on mine. If it's just for an engine from the scrappy though then it should be fine as all the manifolds etc will just bolt on, just need to check the mountings.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
AGR is a TDI 90 with a wastegate turbo in all the references I've ever seen. I don't think Škoda use different codes or apply them differently. I'd expect a TDI 110 with a VNT turbo to be AFN, AHF, ASV or AVG. But I'm no expert.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh I've been trying to find out which ecu they use because it's the only one I've seen using a vnt, I'll have a look at the manual later if I can get the chance or I might have a peek in etka and I'll post which turbo it has.:)

woody-rallye

so even if the turbos different i could just bolt on my old turbo?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
That's what I've been led to believe, I'm going to do some more checking later but from what I've been told so far yes. Apparently the vnt turbo from the ALH just bolts on to the AGR and they can both take the PD 150 intakes etc. Like I said though, I would just check the engine mounts because that's something I can't confirm at the moment, if yours is like mine it has a mount at the back and the front towards the timing belt end but as far as I know the ALH has a mount on the end.:)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You'll need the exhaust manifold to match the turbo. Don't know if the EGR connection is different. You'd want the ECU to match the turbo too.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It's just the main block and head he needs though dude, he can use all his other bits unless it's a tune up job in which case grab the lot, a set of nozzles and the vnt with a tune you can hit 150bhp:D

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You're right enough Mutley, no agr with a vnt but I think the alh is just an agr with a vnt anyway and the manifolds etc all fit. The skoda I was looking at was a tuned one with a vnt fitted.:)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
On AGR, the wastegate causes the exhaust-side face of the turbo assembly to be kidney-shaped, and the turbo is mounted so that the exhaust is sideways, pointing to the nearside. The exhaust manifold and exhaust downpipe will be different to ALH.

On ALH, ASV and AHF engines the manifold comes with the turbocharger and they are replaced as a complete unit. The exhaust pipe connection is a different shape.

AGR and ALH have the same EGR piping, so the manifolds arrange for the exhaust gas opening to be in the same place.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.