Fault code help

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I've had the engine light on since I got the car back from having the gearbox sorted out. I just got a code reader from eBay and read the code. Unfortunately the code is not in the book. Does anyone no what code 16804 is please!?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That was just a google search on 'VAGCOM 16804'...

I believe it's more likely to be the lambda sensor at fault rather than the cat.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
That was just a google search on 'VAGCOM 16804'...

I believe it's more likely to be the lambda sensor at fault rather than the cat.

Thanks I didn't think of trying google. Will the sensor have died? I've deleted the fault now so I'll see if it comes back. The mpg has dropped off could it be related?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That's pretty much what I had when my Lambda sensor was going off, the emissions system is sending the wrong signal back to the ECU and usually ends up dumping more fuel in. Mine also showed up as excessive hydrocarbons on the MOT.

I did have one thought though, you said you have had it since you got the gearbox replaced? Have they forgot to plug it back in, or perhaps damaged the wires? From memory bank 1 is the pre cat sensor, which means it's located somewhere between the engine block and the cat. I don't know exactly where as it'll vary between car models. But I reckon it's vulnerable to a heavy handed gearbox swap.

lobs84

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry
16804 P0420 Catalyst System,Bank1 Efficiency Below Threshold
16806 P0422 Main Catalyst,Bank1 Below Threshold

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I've still not sorted this be will have to soon. I'm hoping it's the Lambda sensor and I guess it's the first sensor to have a look at. Where am I to find the sensor on the DP? I want to check it's propally fitted before I buy one at £120. I've held off doing this as I'd hoped to fit a turbo back system by now but unfortunately I don't no when that's going to happen lol.

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
There not £120 mate, iv had the pre cat lamba fault on my car and I got a Bosch one of eBay for £68 quid and it sorted the problem for me mate

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
That's the one I bough in the end and it cured the problem. They where great people to deal with and it way delivered very fast. Thanks for the reply:)

W11TTX

Apr 23, 2012
Cheshire
Ah good stuff. I went through a spell of having fault codes on mine! Boost leak lamba pre and post, all cures now though. Glad it's sorted .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.