GUIDE: How To Fit Door Handle Lights.

phillpotts92

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice! :D
Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
A number of people have asked how i fit my door handle lights so im making a guide here for everyone to use:

1) Remove door card to reveal this:
a44f349d.jpg

2) Remove the circled bung:
7f6ff53e-1.jpg

3) Remove door lock barrel (next to the handle): SORRY NO PHOTO BUT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOSEN THE T25 TORX SCREW ON THE SIDE OF THE DOOR BEHIND THE LITTLE PLASTIC CAP AND WIGGLE IT OUT WHILST PULLING ON THE DOOR HANDLE.

4) Now push something which is flexible yet keeps its shape into the hole where you remover the grommit earlier (i used the last piece of a fishing rod) and out through where the lock barrel used to be.

5) Now attatch your cables to the end of the thing you pushed through the door using insulation tape and pull the cables back into the door panel.

6) Make a small slit into the rubber grommit and thread the cables through and push grommit back into place.

7) Route your cables like so across the door panel and fasten to the original wiring looms:
a44f349d.jpg

8) Remove the circled bung and again, make a small slit into it and thread your cables through it:
0c95b999-1.jpg

NOW THE TRICKY BIT!

9) Remove the Rubber thing that protects the cables that joins the door to the car (just pull on each side and it comes away)

10) Using something flexible but sturdy is needed (i used a metal cable from a multi-gym). Tape your cables to this and push them downwards and put your fingers inside the part where the joiner goes to and when you feel the cables just pull them through.

11) Now re-tape the cables to your routing device and thread it through the rubber joiner thing.

12) Once its passed through the rubber, remove the cover on the side of the dash like so:
371da87f.jpg

13) Keep the cables taped to the routing device this time and push it through the hole where the original cables go through (there is a blank hole in the connetor above where the cables go into the body, youll understand when you see it).

14) Now put your hand under the dash and poke the routing device around until you feel it. Once you can feel it pull it through and disconnect the cables from it.

Now, if you havnt already fitted footwell lights (i have hence the mass amount of cables) then this is what your going to have to do.

15) Remove the A-pillar trim on the drivers side to reveal the cables that run to the interior light:
89466bc1.jpg

16) your going to have to splice into the RED/BLACK cable and the BROWN/BLACK cable. RED/BLACK IS LIVE, BROWN/BLACK IS NEUTURAL

17) Now just attatch your strip like so:
a842e854.jpg

18) Now replace everything and start on the other side. ITS THE EXACT SAME APART FROM YOU WILL NEED MORE WIRE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE AS YOU NEED TO GET BACK TO THE DRIVERS A-PILLAR FOR THE POWER SOURCE.

19) Hey presto you have a door light that comes on/off when doors open and close and when you unlock/lock.
84fdac00.jpg

Two quick videos that show what it looks like:

Last edited:

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Hey, how have you wired them to come on - cant see your alarm lights flashing or sidelights on looks perm :/

phillpotts92

Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
The videos show my indicators flashing when I lock/unlock and I have no alarm. If you listen you can hear the doors lock and also one of the videos I actually put the key in the ignition and close the door an they fade away. They're wired to the interior light hence the splicing into wires in the a-pillar.

Reactions: Lew89

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
Fairplay it looked like image captions not video links which is why i overlooked :p Good job man looks smart.

phillpotts92

Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks everyone, Done it ages ago and have had to replace two due to me buying cheap strips and they come with very thin cables but I have seen you can get the prism ones from helfrauds for £9.99 with thick cable on so might give them a whirl soon.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
Looks really good, im going to put some there or maybe under the mirrors ?

How did you get the wires from inside the door to the outside handle? is there just a gap?

Also do you think it would be possible to put them in the actual handle so you cant see them or the wires?

Thanks

phillpotts92

Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
Yea you could do but that would involve drilling the handles and putting leds in. And you have to pull the rubber bung out as circled and when you remover the door lock barrel your wires can come out there as described in step 2-6

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise