Honeycomb centre grill - Make your own with one from a toledo?

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Hi guys, I've recently fitted some honeycomb grills to my ibiza PD130, and they look great. But now, I'd really like to have a honeycomb centre grill...

As you can't buy one from the factory (stupid really considering you can get all the other grills no problem) I'm looking into making my own.

I've heard someone on here had made one by using the lower grill section from an altea as shown here

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=233114&page=2

But I have just found that some of the toledo drivers can buy this honeycomb section, which fits behind their centre grills. So I'm wondering if I could use this same section to make one for the ibiza...

So does anyone know if the grill section shown in the link below is larger than the ibiza centre grill?

http://www.oemvag.es/en/5p-2004-2009/410-rejilla-frontal-nido-abeja.html

If so, I could cut out the vertical slats part from the ibiza grill, then cut the toledo honeycomb section to fit :D Hopefully...

Any help would be most appreciated!

AJ FR

dont think it will be the same, however you could be the guinea pig and test it for us :)

Steve*

Id just buy the honeycomb off ebay. Cut out an existing grill and glue it in before respraying it. Seems to be the best option

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
dont think it will be the same, however you could be the guinea pig and test it for us :)

Just as a little update...

I started searching a little more around google to see if I can find out about using a normal Ibiza centre grill, and the honeycomb backing piece from an Altea, and I found on a forum from France that someone had already done this, and it looks like it works! I also then found some references to someone doing the same on a German forum.

Picture I found from the French forum:

20070324183100039kz9.jpg

20070325175200043gk8.jpg

Only difference with mine and the above is that I'd like to keep the Seat badge on the grill :)

So, I've just asked my local Seat dealer for a price on the two parts, so looks like I will be the guinea pig!!

Steve*

It has already been done on here. Some guy had it done on his readers ride.
Looks the part with the seat center grille too :)

Id reccomend Ebay for the parts...should work out much cheaper than dealer price

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
Zach has done it:
newpics002.jpg

I'm planning to do it on my facelift but it's difficult to get mesh to match, currently looking to buy an Altea lower grill like: (18.50 + p+p from SERE motors)
zk66fn.jpg

and I've already bought a slim badge and wrapped it:
15hmrdj.jpg

156vhcg.jpg

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
It has already been done on here. Some guy had it done on his readers ride.
Looks the part with the seat center grille too :)

Id reccomend Ebay for the parts...should work out much cheaper than dealer price

Yeah I started looking on ebay. Found the centre grill easy enough, but couldn't find the honeycomb bit from the Altea, or a lower grill from an Altea. Was considering just buying some sheet mesh, but I thought using another Seat panel would look closer to the other honeycomb grills I've got fitted :)

Zach has done it:
newpics002.jpg

I'm planning to do it on my facelift but it's difficult to get mesh to match, currently looking to buy an Altea lower grill like: (18.50 + p+p from SERE motors)
zk66fn.jpg

and I've already bought a slim badge and wrapped it:
15hmrdj.jpg

156vhcg.jpg

Looks great on Zachs car! And yeah, just what I said above about keeping the mesh panels all looking the same.

Where did you get the slim 'S' badge from? Have you got a link/part number?

Cheers!

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I got the badge from Dave @ SERE which is a garage in Ireland :) it was £10, he can post small stuff abroad I think but not parcels (eg the Altea grill)
Badge Part number: 1M5 853 601D 739 (it's for the boot of a Toledo 99-04)

I asked in the Altea section and they said it was 222mm from the bottom of the grill to the top of the plate, I know plate of the grill is solid not mesh to mount the plate but hopefully there is enough.

Not got a spare centre grill to cut the slats off yet, I can let you know the Altea part number and if it is big enough once I get it :)

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
I got the badge from Dave @ SERE which is a garage in Ireland :) it was £10, he can post small stuff abroad I think but not parcels (eg the Altea grill)
Badge Part number: 1M5 853 601D 739 (it's for the boot of a Toledo 99-04)

I asked in the Altea section and they said it was 222mm from the bottom of the grill to the top of the plate, I know plate of the grill is solid not mesh to mount the plate but hopefully there is enough.

Not got a spare centre grill to cut the slats off yet, I can let you know the Altea part number and if it is big enough once I get it :)

Ok thats great, thanks for letting me know about the badge, and yeah keep me posted once you get the Altea grill!

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I will be going down to my local scrappy on Thursday to see if they have any Ibiza grills as they are all expensive on Ebay, otherwise I'll get one with the Altea grill to save on the postage :)

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
As a quick update, I have been to the local Seat dealer today and had a look at the Leon/Altea honeycomb piece, which sits behind the grill (as shown in this link) as they had one on the shelf.

http://www.oemvag.es/en/5p-2004-2009...ido-abeja.html

It is definitely big enough to cover the shape of the centre grill on the Ibiza, so I bought it :D Part number is 1P0052535.

So now I just need to get another centre grill so I can start making it!!!

Mar 25, 2009
bath
i would go careful with which honeycomb you get,

although it doesnt match, i bought the ebay stuff because is was slightly flexible as the grille is curved from top to bottom, i imagine it would be very hard to do with solid stuff.

just take your time, i dremeled the slats out of a spare grille, glued the new one in, then used body filler to blend and smooth (this took the most time, to the point i wanted to give up) then spray it up. add your stick on badge, and observe :)

zach

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Just to show that progress is now underway with the honeycomb grill.

20120320_150316.jpg

I have so far cut away all the vertical slats from the bottom, and started to sand all the excess material away, where the slats were moulded to the outer frame. So far its looking good, but it may take a little time to get the frame part fully cleaned up...

After I have fully cleaned up the frame, I can start cutting the honeycomb. I really want to try my best to cut the honeycomb so it's a perfect fit for the frame, then I can minimise filler of any sort (or use none at all if possible). Not sure what a good plastic glue would be though, maybe poly cement? Any other thoughts most appreciated!

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Have a look for markings on the mouldings to find out what plastic it is. If its ABS then Chloroform/Dichloromethane/Methylchloride would be the best option at it melts the plastic and physically welds it together, of course you are not likely to be able to get hold of such chemicals so Plastic Weld is the next best option as the solvent is in the same family as those above. Id also be tempted to tack the back of the parts with a little Cynoacylate (Superglue) to add extra strength and help hold the parts in position while the solvent bonds fully.

I just hope the plastic isnt Polypropylene as nothing sticks to that!

Last edited:

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Cheers for the reply, it's made of ABS so I was hoping poly cement may work, but if the plastic weld stuff is better, I'll try and get that! And yeah you're right about the chemicals you listed, in my previous job I used to use acetone together with small bits of ABS, and that used to make a great glue, but I don't have access to that sort of stuff anymore...

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
So a little more progress... The slats have been completely cut out of the frame now, and I've started to sand the inside, and hopefully will finish this and be ready to cut out the honeycomb section at the beginning of next week. Exciting stuff!!

20120322_150908.jpg

Last edited:

jamie_

Dec 22, 2010
Cumbria
Looks like its going well, keep up the good progress. Been thinking about doing it myself but couldnt bring myself to do it. Didnt want to sink money into something that I will get frustrated with and end up giving up on haha
Now I can see its going well, I might have to give it a go after all! :)

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Just another quick update...

The plastic frame is finished and ready for the honeycomb section!! Took ages to fully sand and remove all the marks from the grill slats / tags, especially around the inside top edge [:@]

20120328_171105.jpg

So now I can start marking out the honeycomb section. Hopefully this picture below shows how the leon / altea honeycomb insert piece is just big enough for the ibiza grill...

20120328_171201.jpg

Hopefully I can have the honeycomb piece cut out tomorrow, then I can start the slow process of trimming and sanding so it fits in the frame...

Last edited: