Honeycomb centre grill - Make your own with one from a toledo?

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
So a little more progress today. I made a simple template last night from paper, just to give me a guide for how I should cut out the honeycomb section. I drew round this template onto the honeycomb, then added quite a bit to be sure it will be big enough :D Then I cut the honeycomb out at work today with a really small hand saw.

Then tonight I made a template from cardboard (used the box from tonights pizza!), and thats shown below with the earlier cut out/extra large piece of honeycomb section.

20120329_173349.jpg

After that, I taped the cardboard template onto the honeycomb section, making sure it in exactly the right place so that the honeycomb section will be symmetrical in the frame. You can just see the extra material around the edges of the template (it's more than it looks in the picture...).

20120329_174249.jpg

I've started to file the extra away from the honeycomb to match the template, whilst also taking into account the angle of all the little edges that will be stuck to the frame (I'll show a better picture later of what I mean by that), and I can see that this may take a while... But hopefully I can start glueing the honeycomb and frame sections together very soon :D

Last edited:

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Hi, unfortunately I just haven't had the time to glue the honeycomb into the frame section. It sounds simple I know, but I have found that no matter how precise I tried to cut out the honeycomb section, there are gaps here and there between the honeycomb and the frame, which means I will need to use some filler rather than glue... And that of course means I will need to sand / file down any rough looking parts, then finish the whole thing off with paint. Hopefully I will find some time this week, but I've been saying that for a while now :)

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
Hi, unfortunately I just haven't had the time to glue the honeycomb into the frame section. It sounds simple I know, but I have found that no matter how precise I tried to cut out the honeycomb section, there are gaps here and there between the honeycomb and the frame, which means I will need to use some filler rather than glue... And that of course means I will need to sand / file down any rough looking parts, then finish the whole thing off with paint. Hopefully I will find some time this week, but I've been saying that for a while now :)

No worries, I've started to attempt my own now. Post up any updates ;)

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
So after what feels like months, I've finally started to stick the honeycomb section into the frame of the grill. Just used some poly cement to glue a few locations, but need to glue quite a lot with some thicker glue. But here is a picture of how it looks so far (just sat the badge I bought on the top, just to look a bit more complete :))

20120803_161836.jpg

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
So after what feels like months, I've finally started to stick the honeycomb section into the frame of the grill. Just used some poly cement to glue a few locations, but need to glue quite a lot with some thicker glue. But here is a picture of how it looks so far (just sat the badge I bought on the top, just to look a bit more complete :))

20120803_161836.jpg

That looks awesome :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.