LED headlights in snow

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
OK so tonight, thanks to our first flurry since I got my new ST, I discovered a new pet peeve.

It seems that because they don't get hot in use like halogens do, I had to remove the snow myself. And then ten minutes of dual carriageway driving and they were covered again. Rather like how you see peoples number plates all whited out with snow, it seems that my Leon wants to collect snow on its eyelids. Which meant that I had to stop a couple of times on my way home just to clear it. Bloody annoying! Anyone else noticed this yet, or am I missing something? Since I do a lot of night drives I can do without having to stop constantly!

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
OK so tonight, thanks to our first flurry since I got my new ST, I discovered a new pet peeve.

It seems that because they don't get hot in use like halogens do, I had to remove the snow myself. And then ten minutes of dual carriageway driving and they were covered again. Rather like how you see peoples number plates all whited out with snow, it seems that my Leon wants to collect snow on its eyelids. Which meant that I had to stop a couple of times on my way home just to clear it. Bloody annoying! Anyone else noticed this yet, or am I missing something? Since I do a lot of night drives I can do without having to stop constantly!

What about using the screen/light washers?
Wouldnt that clear the headlights without you getting out of the car?

philipj999

Nov 21, 2014
Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
There are no headlight washers on Leon's with LED headlights. Apparently because they don't get hot and therefore dirt doesn't get burnt on and need clearing. Not sure they have thought about snow!!!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
There are no headlight washers on Leon's with LED headlights. Apparently because they don't get hot and therefore dirt doesn't get burnt on and need clearing. Not sure they have thought about snow!!!
Bl**dy Spaniards and their sunshine !!! :D

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014

Hum well my Leon got led lights and these popup washers:)

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
If you spec the Winter Pack you then get the headlamp washers.

Ah that is probably the reason why my car has them then.
My car does not have any "winter pack" specced and there is none available when you order a new car, but i guess all Leons sold in Sweden has the "winter pack" as standard:p

Last edited:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
In the UK MY13 cars (first build) with LED lights got the headlight washers.

Seat deleted these pretty quickly and moved them to winter pack only. Presumably to save some money.

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
Mine has led's but no winter pack, yet it has headlamp washers. It's a Sept 2013 FR.

Jarmo

Dec 8, 2014

SEAT does extensive winter testing of their cars in Arjeplog in the north of Sweden.
In Sweden all cars have the Winter pack as default.

www youtube com /watch?v=XCWamR3M-lU

Last edited:

Itspaul

Jun 15, 2014
I have always used rain x on my motorbike visors with no ill effect but they are polycarbonate perhaps a different material ?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I have always used rain x on my motorbike visors with no ill effect but they are polycarbonate perhaps a different material ?

http://www.rainx.co.uk/rainx-tips-info/#plastics

So if you do it, it would be at your own risk. A helmet visor is probably fairly inexpensive to replace if something went wrong. I'm not really sure I'd want to be testing it out an expensive set of LED headlights without some kind of guarantee or verified proof that it was definitely OK.

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
Yep l suppose not an issue if you specced the winter pack in the UK. Don't have that on my car but it snows how often in the UK? You pays your money and takes your chance....can't please everyone and cover every scenario. That's up to the customer!