LED headlights in snow

.rolandinho.

Oct 1, 2010
Estonia
In -25*C cold LED headlight worked perfectly every time. But after icy rain, it takes the LEDs a lot of time to warm up the headlights to clear the ice. So chemical defroster is necessary.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
In -25*C cold LED headlight worked perfectly every time. But after icy rain, it takes the LEDs a lot of time to warm up the headlights to clear the ice. So chemical defroster is necessary.

Well in temperatures as high as 4*C I have one that works perfectly and one that does not. I use deicer products to remove ice from the lights anyway, but that makes no difference to the operation of the levelling mechanism. So clearly something has gone awry.

ToroNegro

Dec 12, 2011
The Black Country
Yes it would be interesting to find out if its OK for the Leon Headlights maybe worth a call to them after Holidays

I used Rain x on the headlights of my MK2 for the duration of ownership (3 years) and never had an issue, only ever had benefits. So unless the MK3 lenses are a different kind of plastic i cant see an issue.

It's a shame that they can't incorporate some sort of heating element into the LED headlights, to stop them fogging up or freezing.

whilst this would be a nice feature it would also go against one of the reasons for fitting LEDs in the first place. the right kind of LEDs are so to be brighter than traditional halogen (no contest in my opinion), have a much longer lifetime and also consume less power/be more energy efficient. Fitting heating to the headlights would negate this benefit altogether. I'm not disagreeing with you, just something to consider.

Other gripes, no strut on the bonnet and the washer bottle is a rather small, too. VW fit a larger one to cars with headlight washers, but SEAT? Naaah!

Bonnet gas struts would be nice. Small washer bottle? Mine takes near a gallon as did my MK2. old punto Mk3 on the other hand took less than 2 litres.

Last edited:

JBB

Mar 5, 2014
Cornwall
I have looked at a few articles about LED Headlight freezing and it seems to be a common problem on all makes. Some have a small fans that blows across the heat sink on the rear of the LEDs onto the front of the headlight. Looks as if the headlight manufactures are working on ways to stop it.
A few ideas mainly from American sites was to spray vegetable oil or WD40 on them but surely this would be a bit messy. Another one was to just use normal screen wash on them.
One item was on this site.
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...g/car-makers-focus-on-led-headlights-2013-03/

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
I have looked at a few articles about LED Headlight freezing and it seems to be a common problem on all makes. Some have a small fans that blows across the heat sink on the rear of the LEDs onto the front of the headlight. Looks as if the headlight manufactures are working on ways to stop it.
A few ideas mainly from American sites was to spray vegetable oil or WD40 on them but surely this would be a bit messy. Another one was to just use normal screen wash on them.
One item was on this site.
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...g/car-makers-focus-on-led-headlights-2013-03/

Well found says it all that has been said it is a issue in freezing weather
For very energy-efficient vehicles, electric cars for example, we try to avoid a fan. For future systems, with more efficient LEDs, we don’t have to drive them so hard, so no fan. For high-performance systems, we will still have fan,” said Pietzonka. “The topic of freezing is still an issue. It can be avoided with a fan, or we can defrost it like rear window, with lines or a heating film. There are several systems under development.”

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
whilst this would be a nice feature it would also go against one of the reasons for fitting LEDs in the first place. the right kind of LEDs are so to be brighter than traditional halogen (no contest in my opinion), have a much longer lifetime and also consume less power/be more energy efficient. Fitting heating to the headlights would negate this benefit altogether.

Not necessarily mate, obviously any heating added will draw some power, but there is no reason they couldn't be linked to the heated mirrors or rear screen. They wouldn't need to be heated permanently, just when you need it. That way you get to keep the energy saving for 99% of the time.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Well found says it all that has been said it is a issue in freezing weather
For very energy-efficient vehicles, electric cars for example, we try to avoid a fan. For future systems, with more efficient LEDs, we don’t have to drive them so hard, so no fan. For high-performance systems, we will still have fan,” said Pietzonka. “The topic of freezing is still an issue. It can be avoided with a fan, or we can defrost it like rear window, with lines or a heating film. There are several systems under development.”
'several systems under development ' marvellous. Meanwhile, those of us that live in countries where it rains and freezes have got to put up with useless fkn headlights all to save a polar bear or two. What it won't save is the person/animal who is not seen because the headlights are frozen and lighting up Ollie the owl.
Only 'ze Germans' could foist something on us that's meant to be better ( than xenons-they are not) but only works in the warm. What an advance in technology.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
'several systems under development ' marvellous. Meanwhile, those of us that live in countries where it rains and freezes have got to put up with useless fkn headlights all to save a polar bear or two. What it won't save is the person/animal who is not seen because the headlights are frozen and lighting up Ollie the owl.
Only 'ze Germans' could foist something on us that's meant to be better ( than xenons-they are not) but only works in the warm. What an advance in technology.

+1!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
Mine's in the garage today for the drivers side failing to level. I had the same issue on a 2001 Audi S3 in the past and the motors needed replacing on the headlights. The Milton Keynes dealer has ordered a motor in advance to fit to mine and Seat Technical have sent them a load of tests to do on the failing unit... I'll see what they can do (this is my 3rd visit for the same problem as they couldn't detect anything wrong so left it, only reported it to Seat after the 2nd visit (when I threw some toys out of my pram)).

The near side lamp has not failed once.

Last edited:

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Would have thought both headlamps would freeze though? Seems strange it is usually only the one and appears to be the offside one that doesn't level when cold.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Have used mine in temps of -2 and never had this problem, car is parked in drive at night front in towards house, so not far off building maybe protects the lamps from the cold.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Would have thought both headlamps would freeze though? Seems strange it is usually only the one and appears to be the offside one that doesn't level when cold.

Indeed! I actually think the freezing issue is at least partly seperate.
Above 4*c they both work as intended. Below that only one will level correctly until the engine compartment is fully up to temp. I actually think its an electrical gremlin rather than ice. If you watch when you start the car, the beam drops down first, then rises back up to the correct level. At least that's what is supposed to happen... On mine, they both drop down, but then only one will rise back up again. This suggests to me that its not ice causing the problem. If it were, deicer would prevent it, which it doesn't. And it wouldn't be able to drop down at all anyway, since it would be stuck. It isn't stuck, it just won't rise.

To me, it points to a software issue. I can live with the freezing on the outside, that's what deicer is for... The levelling though is simply dangerous. It happens with or without ice present... As long as the temp is low enough to show the snowflake on the dash.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Agree with above.

This is most likely an electrical or software issue with the lights and not temperature related.

Seems a recent issue though in terms of the mk3s life. Didn't see any postings on this from the early buyers (myself included).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.