LED headlights in snow

sdccupra

Sep 4, 2014
Yes, regarding icing LED-s are not that good. In Estonia the winters are quite cold and a small roadtrip in -10-15C wasnt that bad.Somehow the ice didnt really form on the lights during driving.

Secondly in the morning they were iced up but then -21C proof window cleaner helped(sprayed on the lights).

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
With my S3 in the past the issue was with the connection to the level sensor on the chassis (on the motor). If the motor can't get a reading it will stay pointed down as a safety feature (to avoid dazzling other drivers). I believe Audi/VAG upgraded the connector (that was 14 years ago though so is very unlikely to be the same problem)

The fact that all of us reporting the issue on here have drivers side failures and no nearside failure is a bit worrying :( That hints at something more fundamental than the motor IMHO. But it could just be a fluke (small sample size).

MK Seat dealer has found no fault again on mine so they're replacing the motor. I'll see if this helps when I get the car back.

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
This leveling issue is quite annoying. My FR is MY2015, 3 months old and for the past week, when temperatures were around -15 to -10 celsius, I never experienced this leveling issue, both of the lights leveled together instantly.

But I will be stay alert when it gets colder again.

Like I said, during this cold I've had no issues with foggy lights and leveling, except for being dirty and me missing the winter package[:@]. The rubber on the doors on the other hand did get a little sticky when it was bellow -10 degrees:D.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Well today theyve had my car in at Listers Coventry, and as predicted, they were unable to replicate the issue. Probably because today has been nice and warm, so both lights are working fine. Thankfully I had my little video to show them so they know im not going mad. Being unable to find a fault, all theyve been able to do is reset the cars electrical systems to factory default and hope that this resolves the issue.

To be fair, I cant fault the dealerships service, they seemed genuinely interested and did their best to explain what theyve tried and what the next step is. So for now, I'm to monitor the situation and report it back to them again if it recurs. They lent me a very beautiful top spec car to wizz about in while mine was being looked at too, so I cant say fairer than that. If the problem does come back again I'm assured that they will look toward some replacement parts...

Im fully expecting it to still be the same once it gets cold again, but until it does there isnt a lot more they can do. Seat UK will only replace parts under warranty if the fault can be identified. If the computer says no, it appears that their accountant does too!

So, watch this space!

Last edited:

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
I got mine back yesterday, the dealer had replaced the headlamp leveling motor of the OS headlamp as a precautionary measure (no faults found).

It failed to level again this morning requiring 3 engine restarts to get it leveled. The temp was outside temp was 8.5c.

I've informed the dealer... :( As I live an hour away from a reputable dealer (Milton Keynes, I don't trust the Northampton dealer after reading loads of bad reviews and having visited the dealership) the problem has taken around 9 hours of my time already.... <sigh>

Last edited:

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
I got mine back yesterday, the dealer had replaced the headlamp leveling motor of the OS headlamp as a precautionary measure (no faults found).

It failed to level again this morning requiring 3 engine restarts to get it leveled. The temp was outside temp was 8.5c.

I've informed the dealer... :( As I live an hour away from a reputable dealer (Milton Keynes, I don't trust the Northampton dealer after reading loads of bad reviews and having visited the dealership) the problem has taken around 9 hours of my time already.... <sigh>

This sucks a lot[:@]. So it's not even temperature related or what?:shrug:

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
No idea.. it does always seem to be in the morning. My guess is that temperature does affect it, maybe it's damp in the morning and dries out after a while due to engine temp or something... no idea.

The Dealer has asked to have the car back again for a few more days.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Yep... Me too mate. Headlight failed to level again this morning, so it's back to the dealer for me as well. Its a bit worrying that you've already had a replacement and it's still not right though, doesn't bode well for finding a fix...

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Mine is from Sept 13 (63 reg), UK, with (free) Tech pack but no headlight washers.

I drove in UK (North-East England and Scotland incl Highlands) and in Switzerland last winter, including in pretty cold temperatures (around -15 in mornings), and didn't experience any issues at all. (Or I might not have noticed, honestly, that might be the case as well.) No issues noticed with headlight leveling, no issues with doors freezing.

I did drive through lots and lots of snow (falling, and on the ground) and didn't have any issues with the headlights disappearing under the snow.

This winter however I *am* having frozen doors quite frequently. Applied silicone spray which seems to have alleviated the issue a little bit but not quite enough just yet.

For those suffering from headlights disappearing under the snow, I recommend to turn on your front fog lights, those are regular bulbs (not LED) and therefore shouldn't freeze. Might help you until the LEDs warm up a bit (if they do!) sufficiently to prevent further snow settling on them. Under the circumstances I can't imagine police would fine you for using front fogs then (besides, in heavy snowfall that's permitted in any case, if visibility is reduced).

Last edited:

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
No idea.. it does always seem to be in the morning. My guess is that temperature does affect it, maybe it's damp in the morning and dries out after a while due to engine temp or something... no idea.

The Dealer has asked to have the car back again for a few more days.

Looking at all the post I think you may be onto something with the damp issue as it may not be the freezing temperature but damp in a connection or Unit
Has anybody a problem who's Car is garaged overnight ???

Hope a Seat Garage can come up with a answer

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Looking at all the post I think you may be onto something with the damp issue as it may not be the freezing temperature but damp in a connection or Unit
Has anybody a problem who's Car is garaged overnight ???

Hope a Seat Garage can come up with a answer

I also thought at one point it was maybe damp causing the issue, but on my car it happens day and night. Indeed the video I shared earlier in this thread shows the headlight failure at night, after having been left for only forty minutes prior to the journey shown. As long as it has been left for long enough for the engine compartment to cool completely I have the issue. On dry days too...

My dealer is looking toward a faulty chassis sensor... Apparently there is a sensor on the chassis that detects how heavily loaded the car is, which is used to determine the 'correct' level for the lights. If the headlight module is unable to get a reading the light will remain dropped. The strange part is this should also result in a fault code being registered in the ecu... But that's not what is happening.

Who knows! Lol

Last edited:

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
A bad chassis level sensor should also cause both headlamps to drop. :( Unless they both have an individual sensor (which would surely add weight and cost to the car and be daft).

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
1.2 SE 15 months old here. Lives under a Car port and no light issues. l'd have to say that Valeo are not the best manufacturer of car bits. Give me ZKW (BMW) or Hella any time.

I suspect it's a dodgy batch. What would be helpful is to know the chassis numbers (end of the VIN only for security ) so we could see if it is dodgy batch.

Has anyone contacted SEAT uk. They should be getting calls from all you guys so they know it is a widespread serious problem.

There is a sensor on the rear axle which monitors load and adjusts the height of the beam. If that is polled at start up and has damp in any connection in the wiring that runs from rear to front it would cause problems. But I would have thought it would problems in both headlights and not just one.

My fav theory is a poor batch

Last edited:

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
As per my LED post I have logged with Seat UK as my headlights don't always self level and not bright, as dealer found no fault, case closed.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
I logged a case with Seat Customer Service and closed it as the dealer is dealing with it... I'll reopen it if the dealer gives up trying.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
SUK have closed all my cases, despite none of them being sorted. They even gave me £50 credit as way of a pathetic apology, but I can't bring myself to visit one of their useless dealers to spend it.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Can everyone who HAS got a problem specifically with the headlight levelling on their Leon please post the build date of their car, if they can remember it! I think it would be a good idea to see whether this seems like a bad batch as suggested above...

Mine was built early June 2014.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.