Tips for music on USB stick

Exomotive

Exomotive
Dec 4, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all.
I've spent many hours over the last few days transferring loads of classical CDs onto a 16GB stick as .mp3 files at 320 bps using Windows Media Player. I've it plugged into the USB port in my glovebox and it all works beautifully. I don't have the iPod connection as mine's a standard car rather than a Tech version.

So this is just a note to encourage you to go to the trouble, and also to point out pitfalls and limitations - although I know many of you will already be well aware.

The USB uses the connection for the absent 6CD changer, but the head unit still thinks it's talking to a 6CD changer. So you have to set up six folders on the stick to mimic six CDs. On the head unit, press the CD button twice and the display will show the folders as CDs 1-6.

But whereas a classical CD is usually limited to 80 mins of music, your folders can contain far more. I've put up to 35 tracks in each folder, with a total of around 150 tracks between them. The total playing time must be around 50 hours, and it still only takes up 3.5GB on the stick.

The biggest drawback is that the head unit cannot display any information at all about the folders or tracks, except how far through a track you've played in mins & secs. So you need to decide carefully what to put in each folder. You'll have many a 'what's that tune?' moment as it is and, let's face it, you can't consult a printed track list while you're driving!

The other big tip is that the tracks can only be played in alphabetical file name order, so forget fields like 'Track number' and 'Title'. So if the playing order matters to you - it might help your memory as you listen - you need to start every file name with a number or letter. I decided to organize my folders into historical time periods - ie. when the composers wrote the music - and I have started every file name with the year in which the piece was written or published, eg. 1845. That way, I can 'travel through time' as I listen to a whole history of music. It takes a while but you'll be glad you did it long-term.

Hope that's useful.

Happy New Year!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.