Got Mi Xenons On

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Are the xenon lights a lot better than the standard fit ones?

To be honest, one of the (few) things that has disappointed me about the Ibiza is that the headlights aren't very penetrating on full beam.

How easy is it to fit them as an after-market add-on?

Is the kit expensive? (If you don't mine me asking...)

mexicupra

Jul 5, 2005
was Cambridge now Mexico
dmjw01, the xenon lights are a lot better than the standard lights that come on it, they are a lot brighter and light up the road a lot more. they are easy to fit as there are only 4 screws holding each light in, but the time consuming part is removing the bumper and locating all the screws that hold that on. once you know where they are its an easy job. the hardest part of the whole thing was actually getting hold of the headlights as they are very expensive to buy in the parts dept, but i managed to sort myself some out via a friend.
Son, i took the surrounds off cos i like the look of my car being totally black!

mexicupra

Jul 5, 2005
was Cambridge now Mexico
funny you should ask that actually, it works fine on one of them and on the other it doesnt move. i need to have a look at it when i have more time, im sure that its going to be something stupid!! always is

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If the lamp units have been apart at some point, there's a linkage inside that has to be popped apart in order to remove the xenon bulb, and is a real bitch to get back on. The link in questions links the adjustment servo motor to the internal lamp unit.

If you have vag-com, you can open the relevant module and run self-tests on the xenon units, which will adjust them to top and bottom of adjustment range.
That's assuming everything is there; the reason I asked about whether the adjustment worked was because I didn't know if there were any other components/modules (apart from the lamps themselves) you needed to retro-fit to get full functionality. I think vag-com lists a separate xenon controller - have you fitted anything else apart from the lamp units themselves ?

mexicupra

Jul 5, 2005
was Cambridge now Mexico
no, i only fitted the headlights as one unit. i had a quick look at them before hand and it seemed to contain all the gubbins inside i.e servo motors etc. They actually came off an ibiza sport like yours and i was initially concerned that i would have to fit the headlight cleaners aswell as i thought that it was all one unit. The techies were also saying that the headlight cleaners were needed as the xenons over heat and they helped to cool them down. I thought about it for a while then realised that they were talking rubbish as i live in Acapulco and it hardly never rains here, therefor i never use the windscreen wipers!! (its a law thing apparently)
The xenon controller that you mentioned with the vag com maybe to ativate the auto adjust upon switching the lights on, as mine at the moment dont move when turning them on, when i fitted them i just adjusted them with the screws to make sure both were at same level and then made sure that they moved from adjusting the switch inside the car.
Thanks for the info on linkage !!! as i think you are right as one of them had been opened !!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
where does the charge pack fit in ??

had a perfect spot under the lamps on the mk2 sorry mk3 (actually both LOL )

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Fl@pper said:
where does the charge pack fit in ??

had a perfect spot under the lamps on the mk2 sorry mk3 (actually both LOL )

I assume you mean the ballast unit thing, well on the Mk4's the firststage ballast is built into the base of the headlamp unit. AFAIK, this supplies (relatively) low voltage to the bulb units, which have the hi-voltage ballasts built in. That way the high-voltage supply is only internal to the bulb and there are no high-voltage cables going anywhere that can fail/arc whatever....

(Probably got some of the terminology wrong but hopefully you get my drift...)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds like a great way to do it

would save me thinking i was gonna get electrocuted every time i went under the bonnet :)