Oil Cooler information Share

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Just fitted a Racingline Oil Cooler to my MK3 280 as it spends a lot of time on the Track and gets very hot.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 23.22.34.png

I also fitted a second auxiliary radiator (this is the non DSG Radiator but is used to keep cooling temps down (which in turn may help the Oil Temps).

I notice they also sell a DSG Cooler but personally I fitted a better DSG Aux Radiator and that sorted my DSG Temp issues.

I chose the Racingline one over the AIRTEC because i had received better all round real world feedback so bit the bullet when the Black Friday Sales was on.

Whats the difference

I did three back to back track days in November and checked the difference in temps and was happy it easily met the stated 15 - 20 degree drop in temps

I also noticed whilst slower to get up to heat (expected) it also seemed to improve the rate of climb in temps and I was able to stay out on track for longer periods as I was not hitting the high temps.

On my car the engine cover will need a small bit of modification as the filter head is much higher than the OEM Part.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-05 at 18.36.09.jpeg

What I had not seen when buying it:

I expected the stock filter to be abandoned and new one required but I saw the following:

The filter itself is a lifetime filter, IF it is very carefully cleaned

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 23.24.29.png

Before beginning the cleaning process, first inspect the filter for debris, any debris will be caught on the outside of the filter element and on the magnet.

Clean the reusable stainless steel element with aerosol brake cleaner, solvent or degreasing agent. If you have an airline, carefully blow air through the filter. (Do not press the compressed air gun against the filter, keep at least a 10mm gap from nozzle to filter) starting from the inside out, then at an angle on the outside of the screen to further remove any remaining particles or cleaning solution.

If you don’t have an airline, let the element air dry. It is also good practice to clean the inside of the filter housing using the same type of cleaner as used on the filter before reassembly.

You can also buy new filters but I spoke with the guys at progressive parts and they advised that the filter should be cleaned every six months, although I will do this more often due to amount of track work and keep an eye on the Filter and replace at regular intervals

I did see this but worth pointing out for those with pre 2016 models (like mine) will require a 2016+ Oil Filter Stem, OEM part number 06L115678Q

The instruction with the Kit are for the Golf R and Audi but on my 280 the front light washer system got in the way of these instruction but the garage confirmed that there was more than enough braided lines to fit it with no issues, Incidentally I got a number of guys with the Airtec kit saying it was not an easy install.

Was it Worth It

For my car and the amount of track use it gets yes, not sure if I would fit if I just used the car on the road but it does very much depend on the temps you car gets

Links
Racingline web page for this product https://www.racingline.com/oil-cooler-kit-golf7r-golf7gti-audis3-leoncupra-mqb
Airtec web page https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/product/airtec-motorsport-oil-cooler-kit-for-mk7-golf-r/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 12.15.42.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 12.15.42.png
    51 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: queen
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise