Coilovers, Evoshield, revies and pics. Worth a look if you have BF zorst

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
On Friday I had a few items fitted to my LCR at Big Boys Toys in lakes side. The parts being fitted were:

Polished inlet manifold
Evoshiled
S3 strut brace (no modifications neede)
FK silverline X coilovers
FK wheels spaces
H&R 25mm ARBs frot and back
Lock cover

Over all im over the moon with the new parts I had fitted but im even more disillusioned with the Blue flame exhausts.

Ive put down a few basic bit of information and some photos but feel free to ask anything and every thing you want. I think the whole BF exhaust info and photos maybe interesting if you have a BF and are thinking of coilovers etc.

Reviews

Big Boys Toys:funk: :D
What can I say once again the service received from Big Boys Toys was first class. From being able to order in parts in the morning for delivery within a few hours (without which my day would have been fecked) to the advice, help and guidance from Shaun and Chris and the guys in the shop to the cups of tea! Everything they do and say gives you a great feeling that these people not only know what there talking about and what there doing but that they really do care that you get the best parts for you, Chris even commented on how much potential business he loses but that all means (IMHO) they gain the trust and added business that goes with this. A lot of business is won and lost on reputation and its obverse BBT do there up most for the customer and therefore have gained my up most respect and repeat business

EvoSheild:D
Well after a fairly hard rip around the M25 and a few country lanes I can say im uber impressed with it! I can’t really notice any power gains as such but when I put my hand on the inlet manifold I can happily leave it there and its not that hot really. Now this must be a good thing as it means the air being pulled into the cylinders is cooler and denser

IMGP1172.jpg

Blue flame exhaust:censored: [:@]
Well what can I say ive never been over the moon with this system but after getting my coilovers fitted I hate it even more! The supposedly 2.75 system isn’t 2.75, its a mix of 2.5 and over 3 inch in sections! No wonder the refused to let me see the system or go into the shop when they were fitting it!
The box sits in the worse position possible (low down) and means the Rear anti roll bar rubs like buggery. The system was supposed to be a copy of the Milltek so you could exchange parts with Milltek (well that’s what I was told). After getting the hump and saying to replace the back box we noticed that there is no way it will match upto the Milltek, infact theres no way a Milltek will match up anywhere! So its all going in the bin and im getting a decent Milltek system put on there! See the photos of the modifications needed to make the standard BF box fit!
IMGP1191.jpg

IMGP1190.jpg

Strut brace and coil overs:funk:
Well what can I say, all my fears of the coilovers making the car horrid top drive day to day and the fact it would be too low were put to rest after I took her out for the first time. The car feels so much more planted and stable now, the car rides as much as it did (and one of my mates didn’t notice the difference until I through her into a corner!). speed bumps aren’t to much of a hassle as long as some care is taken when going over them.
Well there’s not a lot much more I can say, im over whelmed by how good they are, the car handles so much better now and turns flatter. Not only this but the car looks ubbbbbbbbber sexy!
IMGP1169.jpg

IMGP1168.jpg

IMGP1171.jpg

IMGP1173.jpg

IMGP1175.jpg

IMGP1180.jpg

IMGP1179.jpg

IMGP1186.jpg

IMGP1184.jpg

IMGP1185.jpg

I spent all of staurday (7 hours!) polishing the paint work ready for the show and shine next week at BBT so watch out for a few more decent photos when shes clean!

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
looks lovely sounds good, how much did you spend if you dont mind me asking as im not to far from big boys so getting ideas and costs together cheers scotty

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Not sure mork, i was told it was interchangeable with the milltek so in my eyes ive been f*cked over again. If I can get the APR cat on its own and it mounts to the BF down pipe I will keep the down pipe and replace the rest myself, if not its all going back to AM with a note from my solicitor as none of it was what I was told again!!

Intotal including fitting of my evoshield, inlet manifold and strut brace (bought elsewhere) and the cost of everything else listed it came to about £1200

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
On another note the car hit 226 on mass flow on Vag Com when we took it out and it only stopped there because we ran out of road!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I take it that's the H&R ARB? Looks massive, what size is it?

It fits like the Eibach one i had, except perhaps not quite as tight around the spring cups. You know that the Eibach one I had caught on the standard back box - and your backbox looks smaller than the stock one.

I can't beleive that ALL the milltek parts would be interchangeable with the BF one, otherwise it would practically be a direct copy of the milltek and they would be knocking on Nigel's door. Are you sure they didn't tell you that it's the milltek cat-back that fits the BF cat? Anyway, I'm staying out of it...

P.S. I'm sure the Evoshield works (I've got one to go one) but you'll find that the inlet stays cold to the touch immeadiately after a run without one...
Edit: Re-read your first post - H&R and it's 25mm :doh: - still looks big though.

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
It fits like the Eibach one i had, except perhaps not quite as tight around the spring cups. You know that the Eibach one I had caught on the standard back box - and your backbox looks smaller than the stock one
works a treat on the VRS:D

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Well thats whats it was sold to me as!
The H&R sprigs are sold to only fit with after market exhausts due to knocking etc.

Well i could never put my hand on the inlet manifold before and leave it, maybe she was running too hot before

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
so youre sold on coilovers then scotty, good to know, ive a set of highsports coming soon and was a littel worried about scraping on everything i went over. my var is usually at least half loaded with crap so speed bumps and mounting kerbs to park were my worries. how low did you get yours set btw?

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
scotty, are you impressed with the FK coilovers?

I saw them and was gonna by them.. then saw the H&R ones, and although too much money they where significantly more for me to question how good the FK system would be as it was quite a lot less

My mum has a golf aniversary TD GTI and its so stable round corners, my LCR feels a bit... well.. squishy. not like i want it to feel.. the LCR should be alot firmer out of the factory IMOH, but maybe mine isnt like others. *shrugs*

Looking good btw :D your engine bay looks spot on.... and looks stunning lowerd... nice one

Rob

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Scotty_b said:
Well thats whats it was sold to me as!
The H&R sprigs are sold to only fit with after market exhausts due to knocking etc.

Well i could never put my hand on the inlet manifold before and leave it, maybe she was running too hot before

Just trying to help. I don't really see how you can totally "blame" the BF for the ARB knocking that's all. If H&R say that they're only to be used with aftermarket exhausts, I'd be asking them which aftermarket exhausts. Anyway, I wasn't there when yo were sold either item, so what do I know.

Without the Evoshield, your inlet manifold will stay somewhere down near ambient when you've been using the throttle - think about it, on a run the charge air is somewhere near ambient temperature; which will be less than body temperature at most times of the year. The charge air keeps the inlet manifold cool, when it is flowing through.

When you stop the engine bay ambient temperature and conduction from the block heats the inlet manifold up. Now, I'm sure that the Evoshield both keeps the charge air cooler (as it doesn't have to exchange heat with the inlet manifold) and slows the heating of the inlet manifold after you've stopped, but straight after a run there will be practicaly no difference between an Evoshielded inlet and normal one.

Anyway, no knocking - the car's looking brilliant. It would be interesting to feel what it's like, especially as you've kept the rear ARB to 25mm and not gone for the front one.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Feel said:
P.S. I'm sure the Evoshield works (I've got one to go one) but you'll find that the inlet stays cold to the touch immeadiately after a run without one...

Not as cold. :) ;)

you will see when you fit yours :p

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I can believe it.

Just trying to point out that the inlet manifold is "cold to the touch" without an Evoshield, so it's not a true test.

Probably just being pedantic :rolleyes:

(off thread, sorry Scotty)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Feel said:
Just trying to help. I don't really see how you can totally "blame" the BF for the ARB knocking that's all. If H&R say that they're only to be used with aftermarket exhausts, I'd be asking them which aftermarket exhausts. Anyway, I wasn't there when yo were sold either item, so what do I know.

Without the Evoshield, your inlet manifold will stay somewhere down near ambient when you've been using the throttle - think about it, on a run the charge air is somewhere near ambient temperature; which will be less than body temperature at most times of the year. The charge air keeps the inlet manifold cool, when it is flowing through.

When you stop the engine bay ambient temperature and conduction from the block heats the inlet manifold up. Now, I'm sure that the Evoshield both keeps the charge air cooler (as it doesn't have to exchange heat with the inlet manifold) and slows the heating of the inlet manifold after you've stopped, but straight after a run there will be practicaly no difference between an Evoshielded inlet and normal one.

Anyway, no knocking - the car's looking brilliant. It would be interesting to feel what it's like, especially as you've kept the rear ARB to 25mm and not gone for the front one.

Sorry mate didnt mean my comments to sound nasty just being short tempered and grumpy about the system as usual and what I was told about it and nothing in anyway against you.

What i should have said about the evoshields was that it was left standing for a while (from the m25 to my mates house there’s allot of crawling and stopping due to friday traffic) Just surprised how much cooler if felt compared to before, but I must say I have a polished manifold so the feeling may have been different anyway.

Erm I have the front! 25mm all round as BBT said 28mm maybe a bit too much. I did initial buy Eibachs but it was the wrong kit so had the H&R’s shipped the same day (luckily!)

Aphix:
Im over the moon with the FK’s. I initial looked at getting the KW’s as ive heard some good things about them but they wanted £250 more for the same kit basically. I know FK as a make might not be the best but when you look at what parts they use I can’t see them going that wrong. You do get what you pay for but I think maybe with the H&R’s you maybe paying a little more for the name but with out having them both fitted I can’t really comment

Cordobabrendy
Yeah I was very worried after ordering them but ive had very few problems, ive hit the exhaust once on a speed bump but then id hit my splitter on it a few times before. Ive left all the old suspension in the car but have only had one other person in the car with me to test the speed bumps but so far ive had no problems and ive been attacking some meaty speed bumps! With regards to kurbs, I try not to bump up them anyway but that’s because I don’t like the thought of that impact on such a thin tyre wall