£700 garage bill

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Oh well. I know these things happen. I knew there was some coolant loss and it's confirmed the rad needs replacing. Apparently that means bumper off and disconnect air con and therefore a re-gas of the air con. With new front pads (which I also knew were required) and the cost of the standard service that brings up the £700. Lovely.

That said, you expect things like pads and the re-gas was probably due anyway. But still it's a hard hit when the car is worth so little anyway.

JamesF

Sh*t man thats harsh. At least you'll be glad when its running 100% well afterwards

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Thanks for the consoling words. Yes it's stealers, but to be honest I rate King's of Sidcup very highly. I've used more local independent garages but paid more in the end through things not being done properly. They are honest guys there and they've worked hours to try and diagnose a problem that was not showing on diagnostics and didn't charge a bean. £300 is attributable to the service and pads and £400 to the rad issue (of which a bit I can argue is for an overdue re-gas). It's just with it all coming together you always think what else it could be spent on.

I hope the car is 100% for a good time to come. I still love the car but it seems there's something niggly always round the corner. Most faults these cars are known for I seem to be getting (fan fuse, MAF, brake switch, etc). Most of them are sub-£100 fixes but my Jap cars never gave me this feeling. Too skint to change cars right now and, like I say I still love the drive, but I need this splash of cash to make the old girl last!

skinnylew

Mar 19, 2007
South east london
Kings of Sidcup is where i get my parts from as its about a 3minute drive from me. They are always helpful although dear but then i have to measure everything against a car that cost me £1800. My compressor has never worked been rewired and re gassed but its screwed :( might have to consider Kings for some service work then. hmmmm

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Oh well. I know these things happen. I knew there was some coolant loss and it's confirmed the rad needs replacing. Apparently that means bumper off and disconnect air con and therefore a re-gas of the air con. With new front pads (which I also knew were required) and the cost of the standard service that brings up the £700. Lovely.

It could have been worse fella, it least you didn't have to change the discs too!!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
My cars just had me for £800 this month, i love it but like you say there will be something around the corner.

Best thing to do is just bite the bullet and get it fixed, as without spending a serious amount of cash on a nearly new car your always going to get problems.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.