£90 for 300 miles distance.. is that right?

andycupra

status subject to change
definately something wrong.
you have answered your own question whether there is a problem by saying you used to get more mileage..

check the fuel filter isnt leaking. its under the car in front of the offside rear wheel. they can get tiny holes in them due to stones and as its under pressure it could be spraying as you drive. just enough not to be noticable...
happened to my old cupra. if its this, about £12 for part, easy change once you work out you need to squeeze the pipes so they click to get them off.

i think the worse i ever got out of a tank in my leon my cupra was 260 miles and that was not economical driving. i usually got 330+ and hit 360 regularly.

you do alot of miles so it should be pretty good mileage, but how fast do you go? mpg with drop from 60 mph upwards quiet significantly over 75. however it does appear something very wrong as thats seriousoly poor mileage.

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I'd ask someone to help you out or if you have access to VAGCOM and check for any common faults. That is definately not right. Although I often find £20 ish of fuel gets me on average about 120-30 miles. (Yes prices vary and driving style but that is what is often clocked before I reset the mileage clock - LCR225). That's with the clock on 0 miles - I've not risked it yet but I think you can still get another 20 ish miles of careful driving or so I've read :) )

Last edited:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Ok guys. Thanks.

I've a weekend ahead of me to sort this problem. Hopefully I can get this sorted for this coming week.

Thanks so much for the advice and comments!

Aug 29, 2006
Poole
MAF I think....Your fuel mixture will be too rich!
Mine was drinking fuel like it was going out of fashion (OK, bad example I know as it is going out of fashion). Changed the MAF and I'm returing much better MPG

benjiwales

benji
Jan 29, 2007
Penybont
As said check, fuel filter (cheap and easy to change), MAF (£70-£90), also read about the water temp sender (green one, £20-£30 from main stealers) being prone to faults been advised to change them every 2-3 years as faulty ones can reduce mpg and lead to poor idling

(about the water sender: don't ask me how or why I just read it in 'the brain' section of Golf+ mag :rolleyes:)

Seat til I die

Lap Record Holder
Oct 14, 2007
last time i pressed the trip reset button from petrol light to petrol light i got 232 miles off £30 worth of shell v-power. thats in a lcr. i would consider that average, urban/motorway combined (mostly 30-40mph, some motorway)

Alpha

I get anywhere between 280-340 miles out of £50 in my cupra depending on route / heavy foot syndrome. ;)

My mpg dropped when the fuel filter started leaking.

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Nah.

I mean, I enjoy a blast. It's pretty much the only reason I choose to drive each day, rather than train it up.

I love driving so I've been putting up with £500 a month petrol bills for commuting/social stuff.

Hmmf.. general consensus seems to be: this is not right, not right at all!

My driving style sees the MPG average as high as 30, often.. but more frequently at about 27ish. Even at these figures, I should be seeing a lot of miles from £90 V-Powah/Tesco99.

You've anwered your own question I think. They're the sort of numbers I see and that means you should be getting 300 ish miles on a tankful (£55).

My guess is that the car is running OK but you have a fuel leak somewhere between the tank and the engine. Can you smell fuel or see any tell tales splashes on the ground under your car after you've left it overnight?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
jeseus matey, i get 356-60 miles from full tnk, 52 quid ish

return about 31-35mpg, down to 25 in town

i boot it, but try to stick to 3500-4500 revs, enough t get the turbo spinning but not drink too much juice.

obviously if you boot it to redline then you will get minimal mpg but yours sounds wrong

is it got a induction kit as in cold weather this will kill it, ive noticed a 2mpg drop since the chillies?

cupra_brown

Jul 27, 2005
As said check, fuel filter (cheap and easy to change), MAF (£70-£90), also read about the water temp sender (green one, £20-£30 from main stealers) being prone to faults been advised to change them every 2-3 years as faulty ones can reduce mpg and lead to poor idling

(about the water sender: don't ask me how or why I just read it in 'the brain' section of Golf+ mag :rolleyes:)

is this true about the water temp sender then?
I have got my lovely red light on my water temp when i start and which i presume is down to my temp thing int he water resevoir.

lately i have noticed that i seem to be getting poop mpg.
Stuck a tank full of v power in, 195 miles later and it is now just under 1/4 tank.
okay, i have a heavy foot and a remap, but i am sure i should get more that this. !

cupra_brown

Jul 27, 2005
tbh, i got remapped pretty much straight after getting the car, so cant really compare a before and after mpg figure etc. Was just wondering if it was high or not....

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
mine stays on full to 110 miles then goes to half rapidly to 150 miles, usually lasts around 340-350 ish. no remap yet like but cant complain for the power i suppose.

heavy right boot will be the biggest damage.

but hey, you dnt buy a cupra for economy i suppose!!

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
OK,

Just done some calculations:

1 litre is 0.22 UK gallons

1litre cost near enough £1
therefore £90 is 90 litres which is 19.8 gallons.

That means you're only getting 15MPG if you're only getting 300 miles from it.:-o

Your car is broken!!;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
maybe your calculations aren't 100%?

brim your car & reset the trip, and drive for as long as possible until the light comes on. brim the car again & write down the number of litres & the miles done.

then work out your mpg, rather than £95 in 300 miles

1gallon = 4.55L :)

tony2311

get the lambda sensor change as that can cost wrong fueling, if your car done a lot of miles change the MAF aswell DIY both should be less then £100,

Stan 24v

Apr 7, 2007
Blackpool
Dude, get it on Vag-com. If there is nobody on here near you, let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone from the Corrado forum.

I would say it will be your MAF or temp sender, or both, causing it to run rich. If you know anyone with the same car nearby try swapping the MAF, it only takes 5 mins to do.