0-60 FR tdi

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I'm working on a new factory site at the moment so have access to 1 1/2 mile un-opened road which will open when the estate does. Yesterday & today i decided to have a 0-60 blast in the safety of a clear road. I waited to get upto mid-temp before trying then went from complete standstill to 65/66 on the speedo to compensate for speedo differences. I did 3 runs and got the following

1st- Yesterday lunch time = 7.72
2nd Yesterday afternoon/evening = 7.32
3rd Today lunchtime = 7.51

Now im no boy racer and soon slowed before leaving the empty road of course, but i noticed on run 1 & 3 i let the 2nd gear run over a bit so probably lost a few tenths however run 2 i nailed the change throughout. This car is far quicker than it's 8.2 second ''official'' time. My car has done 2,776 miles from new.

Just though it might interest somebody :shrug:

jon1

May 7, 2005
Sunderland
Ive heard this before somewhere, maybe something to do with heirachy of the VAG group. eg they wouldnt want the cheaper TDi FR to be faster than the A3 tdi 170. Just a guess

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Very interesting Moley, I'm not at all surprised at those times. I would say mine feels a fair bit quicker than my Audi A4 Sport GmbH which had a 190 PS 1.8T engine and officially had a 0-62 in 8.2 seconds.
Its not just the torque effect either, the car gains speed at very deceptive rate and I would say subjectively it feels like a 7.5 seconds to 60 vehicle.

Moley RUFC

Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Well i'm sure once the car is broke in nicely then mid 7 seconds would be the norm, as you say its the rate the speed comes. For instance you can get good pull in 3rd from 35/40 right through to 80 before changing

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
I`ve counted 7.1 second...I thought i was measuring badly, but aparently some people are getting equal timing. Good to know... :)

FRTDI170

It will get quicker!!!!

I've done just over 7500 miles and it's got noticeably quicker since passing 7000......

Not had an opportunity to time yet, but Moley's times sound pretty impressive already!!

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
never tried doing that Moley although i did attend Crail 1/4 mile drag strip on sunday there, never put the car down it as it was way to busy but i did see a mapped 140 with the BTTC kit go down it a few times, spoke to the bloke and he had it mapped to 194bhp. i am going again and the car will be on it.I think most modern cars are faster than the manu's would ahve us believe.

nighty

According to EVO mag the FR TFSI done 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and its only supposed to do it in 7.3 so i assume the FR TDI will be the same and beat the claimed time.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
The most important times though are the 40-70 and 50-80 imo as thats generally where you do most of your overtaking etc and so the in gear times reveal alot more about a cars performance than 0-60.

Any chance of some in gear times?

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
The most important times though are the 40-70 and 50-80 imo as thats generally where you do most of your overtaking etc and so the in gear times reveal alot more about a cars performance than 0-60.

Any chance of some in gear times?

I haven't got any figures but that is definitely where the FR TDI comes into its own, rolling acceleration. Off the line it is handicapped slightly by the short first gear but in gear roll on acceleration has always felt quick to me (previous cars include Polo G40 (very underrated performance :D ) MK1 Leon Cupra, A4 1.8T 190PS).

Moley what diesel to you run your FR on? Is the stock stuff or something like BP Ultimate (for example). I always try and use BP stuff myself.

uzzy

Run In!
Aug 8, 2006
Stone, Staffordshire
The explanation may be that the speedo on our Leon's is a good 7% ish over, so you probably aint doing about 56 when you think you are doing 60.

My GPS appears to confirm this, and show's the wife's C2 has a fairly accurate speedo as it matches the GPS indicated speed. Everything else is wrong with the C2 apart from that!

Don't mean to put a downer on things sorry...

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
The explanation may be that the speedo on our Leon's is a good 7% ish over, so you probably aint doing about 56 when you think you are doing 60.

My GPS appears to confirm this, and show's the wife's C2 has a fairly accurate speedo as it matches the GPS indicated speed. Everything else is wrong with the C2 apart from that!

Don't mean to put a downer on things sorry...

Hi Uzzy, exactly, that's why Moley timed 0 to 65/66, have a look at his first post.

Moley RUFC

Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Todays Test

The following times are an average of 3 exact runs. It was raining in Rugeley when i did them although never once did the light flash to say i was slipping.

Again these times are on 1/2 tank of Sainsbury diesel (wow) and were timed from exact speed on speedo to 5mph over what speedo said. My GPS was also used.

40 - 60 3rd Gear throughout = 2.36

30 - 60 2nd & 3rd used = 4.01

50 - 70 3rd = 3.40

40 - 80 3rd & 4th used = 6.93

30 - 80 2nd, 3rd & 4th used = 8.89

All the above were done over 3 runs and an average taken from that. on 40 - 60 i measured to 65 and so-on for the others. I set my Tom Tom to beep at top speeds required i.e 60/70/80, so i know its pretty accurate.

Tomorrows test

Re-fuel after bollocking:funk:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
wicked work moley!! its most definatly that awsome 3rd gear,i just love 3rd. 4th gear comes in at 2nd place, not quite so torqy that one.

40 - 60 3rd Gear throughout = 2.36 <---an extra 10 mph, halfs the time!!
(with a gear change)

30 - 60 2nd & 3rd used = 4.01 <---pesky 2nd gear

if second was better just imagine......

Moley RUFC

Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
The 40 - 60 time and in fact anytime you floor 3rd gear is as fast as any car i've driven. Its the sheer pace to which it goes through the speedo that could get you in trouble with the cops!?!?

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
The only problem with using gps is its not that accurate when only dealing with small time frames. GPS only updates once a second, very good at measuring continual velocity. GPS gets its speed reading by measuring the time at position A to time at position B.

i used my garmin vista cx in an aeroplane in january and it was, 0,15,60,100,200,270,370,420mph then slowed down as we approached 600mph on take off up to altitude. imressive watching the thing at these speeds. with an accuracy of between 6 feet and 20 feet.

Anyway, back to the point, with only 8 samples taken in a 0-60 in say 7.3s, the last one is after the event, IF you could stop in that time it would say a very low speed, and the 0.3 is useless, as at 7s your not doing 60.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.