1.2 Tsi CBZB Horrible knocking noise

Apr 24, 2023
Hi all, first time poster.

I have a 1.2 Tsi Copa and it's been making a horrible knocking noise and a weird noise when I come off the accelerator. It doesn't change whether its cold or has been on a drive but it does start noisy.

It's been to two garages, the first one said it's too awkward to diagnose so could be in and out and would be easier to just swap the engine.

The second said it's definitely a mechanical noise, which I already know and they think it's piston slap and will need an engine rebuild, which they won't do.

The car pulls fine and if it wasn't for the noise I wouldn't suspect anything is wrong.

I've attached a couple of videos to show what I mean.

Thanks in advance

Apr 21, 2023
Not heard that on mine yet thankfully. Not even sure what it sound like it could be either. Has the car done a lot of miles? Timing chain maybe as that can be an issue for a few.

Reactions: dazl1212
Apr 24, 2023
Not heard that on mine yet thankfully. Not even sure what it sound like it could be either. Has the car done a lot of miles? Timing chain maybe as that can be an issue for a few.
It's on 81k now. The timing chain and tensioner was done at 65k so I'm assuming it shouldn't be that. Plus, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from that direction.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hard to be exact but from the video does sound like bottom end knocking. As mentioned before it maybe a tensioner failed if it has a chain I’m not familiar with this engine unfortunately. Has it been ran low of oil possibly?

Reactions: dazl1212
Apr 24, 2023
Hard to be exact but from the video does sound like bottom end knocking. As mentioned before it maybe a tensioner failed if it has a chain I’m not familiar with this engine unfortunately. Has it been ran low of oil possibly?
Thanks mate. It hasn't been ran low of oil since I've had it. I have read that there is a a lot more to fitting the oil filter than normal and it can get damaged which can mess up the oil pressure, if it's not done correctly. I've ordered a new one and will see what happens. Otherwise I'll have to figure out a way of getting rid of it.

Edit to add: it is the chain driven engine. The tensioner and chain were done before I bought the car but within 16k miles of its current mileage.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members